Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101174 times)

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18300 on: January 15, 2012, 10:18:44 am »

the fort of backdike is doing good, it is my first tower fort (semi surface fort) and I am doing well on the basic main tower, after I get done with everything, I hope to have a massive moat including a subterranean enemy grinder, massive trap corridors and such.
realism?
I will abandon it once I hit the pop cap if I dont get any ambush and such.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18301 on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:19 am »

7 creatures.

Gremlin. Kobold. Elf. Human. Dwarf. Goblin. Plump Helmet Man.

One fort.

A LOT of undead.

7 crossbows.

No chance.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18302 on: January 15, 2012, 10:58:17 am »

"Uh, captain, why are there horrible screams coming from that pit?"

http://imgur.com/sWAFD
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18303 on: January 15, 2012, 12:41:59 pm »

two dwarves randomly began spamming that they couldn't store an owned item because it was inaccessible. I unblocked every path, delted all the burrows and searched all the tombs and after two months of this I finally murdered both of them so I wouldn't have to listen to them.

In other news Strongtowers is going to war with the Sylvan elfs. Every piece of wood and spellwood they bring is siezed and the rest is dumped in the volcano along with the broken corpses of their merchants and diplomats. I'm always amazed by how often randomness blends together into amazing stories before your eyes. My military killed an entire caravan save one man, I called them off at the last moment and sent in two unskilled dwarves with a club and cleaver to make his death that much more awful. He survived for a remarkably long time breaking ones toe and knocking the others tooth out. Impressed I called them off too, I decided to open the gate and let him run toward freedom only to raise the drawbridge in his face and retract the bridge he crossed to get there. A solid brass wall now cut him off from the outside world and a wide gap separated him from the fortress proper. Stranded in the"Airlock" he was staring down the barrel of a ballista as three squads of marksdwarfs surrounded him from above. Right before I ordered them all to fire he became melancholy and jumped into the gap left by the retracted bridge and into the heart of the volcano.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:21:02 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18304 on: January 15, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »

In other news Strongtowers is going to war with the Sylvan elfs. Every piece of wood and spellwood they bring is siezed and the rest is dumped in the volcano along with the broken corpses of their merchants and diplomats. I'm always amazed by how often randomness blends together into amazing stories before your eyes. My military killed an entire caravan save one man, I called them off at the last moment and sent in two unskilled dwarves with a club and cleaver to make his death that much more awful. He survived for a remarkably long time breaking ones toe and knocking the others tooth out. Impressed I called them off too, I decided to open the gate and let him run toward freedom only to raise the drawbridge in his face and retract the bridge he crossed to get there. A solid brass wall now cut him off from the outside world and a wide gap separated him from the fortress proper. Stranded in the"Airlock" he was staring down the barrel of a ballista as three squads of marksdwarfs surrounded him from above. Right before I ordered them all to fire he became melancholy and jumped into the gap left by the retracted bridge and into the heart of the volcano.

Damn. Badass elf didn't want to give you the satisfaction of shooting him.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18305 on: January 15, 2012, 01:42:45 pm »

I got a military guy stuck in "attend meeting" while the mayor is stuck in "unable to clean self, no arms".
Why do the limbless always make so many friends ?? ??

Guess I need to devise a way to ... deal with ... the 4 limbless guys in my fort before they become president

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18306 on: January 15, 2012, 02:06:34 pm »

I got a military guy stuck in "attend meeting" while the mayor is stuck in "unable to clean self, no arms".
Why do the limbless always make so many friends ?? ??

Guess I need to devise a way to ... deal with ... the 4 limbless guys in my fort before they become president
Crippled dwarves won't do many jobs so all they do is hang around meeting areas talking to people.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18307 on: January 15, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »

Now a minitour came. No problem, as I already finished carving away the mining passage, so it'll run right into my squad. Hold up... it's pathing over walls. It's... oh shit, I forgot that ramp. Death toll - one child before we slaughtered it.

IN other news, I'm waiting for winter to see if my new bathhouse freezes over. I have a feeling it will. 
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18308 on: January 15, 2012, 03:52:15 pm »

27 children have been sent into the caverns to live. Originally I planned to have them raised by the Olm people after the two survivors of their ranks became friendly from killing two forgotten beasts but a third forgotten beast killed them both. Now the old must raise the young and their scarce rations will not allow all of them to survive.The sons of Ablel and Bomrek, five brothers born into poverty, they're family has never given life into an artifact. They are known derogitively as garbage dwarfs.

The children of Ast and Solon nine brothers and sisters born to a  farmer of legendary skill mother who with six others settled strong towers. Along with her husband,a butcher, their family fed strong towers for six years. Last summer their father was killed by a demon ambush.

The Rinafzuntir triplets, their mother a bowyer their father an engraver. Their father has recorded the events of the fortress upon the walls of the great mountain but neither has done anything great.

The four  children of Zaneg and Aldil born to a leather worker and planter of negligible skill. They're family is not skilled but they are from good stock, strong and quick to heal.  They have a brother too old and a sister too young to join them in glory.

The children of Dastot and Ustuth. Their mother a legendary miner their father a legendary furnace operator. Their family has built much of Strongtowers in one way or another. They number four but only three were old enough to journey to the caverns.

I've tossed this around the boards before but this is the first time I've done it with more than two or three kids. If I made a chronicle of this would anyone read it?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:02:54 pm by Broseph Stalin »

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18309 on: January 15, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »

so.... I just embarked, and my volcano collapsed, released the kraken! and now the entire cavern system and bellow is flooding with magma... plus clowns.  At least it didn't crash on embark for me this time... I'm keeping this save... Don't know what I can do with it... but I'll keep it around.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18310 on: January 15, 2012, 05:42:12 pm »

I've been trying to clear out some isolated pockets of water in the volcano, accidentally causing one of my best miners to be swept off the ledge to her death. It's going to be annoying to build the scaffolding necessary to recover all the bits.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18311 on: January 15, 2012, 06:24:50 pm »

27 children have been sent into the caverns to live. Originally I planned to have them raised by the Olm people after the two survivors of their ranks became friendly from killing two forgotten beasts but a third forgotten beast killed them both. Now the old must raise the young and their scarce rations will not allow all of them to survive.The sons of Ablel and Bomrek, five brothers born into poverty, they're family has never given life into an artifact. They are known derogitively as garbage dwarfs.

The children of Ast and Solon nine brothers and sisters born to a  farmer of legendary skill mother who with six others settled strong towers. Along with her husband,a butcher, their family fed strong towers for six years. Last summer their father was killed by a demon ambush.

The Rinafzuntir triplets, their mother a bowyer their father an engraver. Their father has recorded the events of the fortress upon the walls of the great mountain but neither has done anything great.

The four  children of Zaneg and Aldil born to a leather worker and planter of negligible skill. They're family is not skilled but they are from good stock, strong and quick to heal.  They have a brother too old and a sister too young to join them in glory.

The children of Dastot and Ustuth. Their mother a legendary miner their father a legendary furnace operator. Their family has built much of Strongtowers in one way or another. They number four but only three were old enough to journey to the caverns.

I've tossed this around the boards before but this is the first time I've done it with more than two or three kids. If I made a chronicle of this would anyone read it?

yes.yes i would.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18312 on: January 15, 2012, 06:40:50 pm »

One of my legendary miners decided to just stand there in front of advancing lava until they got surrounded and died.

Yes, I have lava advancing through the hallways again.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18313 on: January 15, 2012, 06:42:21 pm »

engrave a slab

I've been trying to clear out some isolated pockets of water in the volcano, accidentally causing one of my best miners to be swept off the ledge to her death. It's going to be annoying to build the scaffolding necessary to recover all the bits.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AJARTCGA

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18314 on: January 15, 2012, 06:49:17 pm »

I picked up my old fort from region one.
It barely had anything that could be considered a military. So I went to fix that.
Suddenly ambush.
One squad of goblin spearmen, led by a lasher. Another squad of lashers led by a swordsmaster.
The spearmen arrived first. I called everyone inside and started to wait.
Suddenly a tamed war panda and a war black bear attacked the spearmen.
They ripped apart four or five goblins. I was amazed. The black bear even earned a name for itself.
The last spearmen then stabbed the black bear in the heart while the panda bear bled to death from its many wounds. 
Luckily the lashers posed little trouble. My militia commander killed three of them without getting hit and a captain killed another with only a cut hand.
Overall we lost four dwarves, who had all been outside the gates. The remainder of the goblins were either caught in cages or ran off. Though we did lose a bunch of animals, including the two awesome bears.
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 3842