Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100794 times)

Da Funk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18315 on: January 15, 2012, 08:10:39 pm »

Started out my new fortress, had two horses starve to death, created a freakin' huge stockpile of stones, had a case of miasma, forgot to get a woodcutter so I have no way of getting wood at the moment, and ran out of booze. And my first year isn't even over yet  ::)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18316 on: January 15, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »

Just discovered there is only enough candy on the map to fully equip 25 military dwarves, assuming none get stolen for stitches.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18317 on: January 15, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »

Can I just say that I hate this thread because every time I see the title I hear George Strait singing "...it sure is lonesome in mine"?

Whiteletter is moving at an absolute snail's pace as I keep pausing it and going to do other things. It took me two days to mark all of the stupid crafts and nonessential clothing for trade (we do not wear loincloths here!). I've got 120 dwarves, 8000+ booze and 16000+ prepared meals. It's time to buckle down and transform Whiteletter from a haphazard warren into a proper Dwarf Fortress.

My To Do list:
  • Deal with all the captured prisoners. This includes all those goblin thieves I've been putting off because I know I can't safely pit them.
  • Figure out something to do with the 50+ tame badgers and giant badgers. Obviously they need to be part of a trap, but that means I need to:
  • Design a real aboveground entrance, not just the current "ha ha, you can't get up on my plateau" floor hatch system.
  • Design the work area. Right now I've got a big open space with some magma channels under it, and all my dwarves are working upstairs in the dirt.
  • Basically, design an actual fortress.
  • Open up the caverns and deal with the forgotten beasts that have built up there. I've got one cavern vaguely under control by means of carving a shooting gallery into a vertical pillar that goes through it, but the rest are untamed.
  • Reorganize all the stockpiles and clear them out of the soil level for tree farming purposes.
  • Finish the pump stack (it only goes up to the work level) and fill a giant aboveground reservoir with magma. Why? Dunno yet. But why not?
  • Tap the candy. You know you want to.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18318 on: January 15, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »

yes.yes i would.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99113.0

Boom. Also there's like twice as many kids as I thought, I am terrible at counting.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18319 on: January 15, 2012, 08:40:57 pm »

Well rapidwhip fell, finally, took the goblins long enough, they decided to attack with 6 pages of attackers, over half of them lashers, and all but the trolls were mounted on cave crocodiles, lol my military brought them down to 2 pages of invaders, but they finally killed the last defenders. Was fun while it lasted.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18320 on: January 15, 2012, 08:56:06 pm »

Mass dumping of clothing. Need more petty haulers...

The number of dwarves working on hauling foreign and unowned clothing will likely mean that some of the food from the mass-butchering of llamas and sheep will spoil...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18321 on: January 15, 2012, 09:53:53 pm »

I just discovered water wheels can provide power in 7/7 water as long as it's flowing...

I thought it needed to be 3/7 to 6/7 or it wouldn't work.

Also, masterworks keep randomly being destroyed (made by my weaponsmith) and I can't figure out what it is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:56:50 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18322 on: January 15, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »

I just discovered water wheels can provide power in 7/7 water as long as it's flowing...

I thought it needed to be 3/7 to 6/7 or it wouldn't work.

Also, masterworks keep randomly being destroyed (made by my weaponsmith) and I can't figure out what it is.
If an enemy has a masterwork arrow lodged in them when they leave the map the game considers that destroyed.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18323 on: January 15, 2012, 10:17:59 pm »

Twin ambushes during an elven caravan. They were dealt with very, very quickly with no injuries, even to civilians.

The elves were ridiculously pleased with the amount of stuff we offloaded onto them, because we needed to make space for new items.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18324 on: January 15, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »

The dwarven caravan decided to depart using the wrong entrance into a horde of unicorns. 3 dwarves and 1 donkey were slain. Oddily enough, the liason made it out alive.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18325 on: January 15, 2012, 11:38:22 pm »

DF crashed after I tried to make Blockedportals the friendly olm-man spearmaster a part of the fort.

A couple of hours lost. FUUUU.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18326 on: January 16, 2012, 04:10:51 am »

The Pick Of Ages is finally off to do some work. With less than 20 dwarfs for the first year and a half, work was very slow.
The military has started with two macedwarfs, a sworddwarf and two axedwarf, weapons have been provided but getting the full set of armor done may take some time. Meanwhile the production of trap components has been started, helped by some glass serrated discs.

Last imigration wave sported a stunning 7 new dwarfs. Including a Grandmaster weapon smith, which makes up for the lack of manpower. Digging further down has been suspended in favor of consolidating the surface defences
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18327 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:37 am »

Started out on a volcano so i began to move everything and everyone over beside it.A giant mole and a giant rat wandered by but i didnt pay them much heed because my dwarves didnt...until they each stole 5 plump helmets from my food store.I chased them both but only got yhe mole.Annoyed I went back to digging out the fortress only to find that one of the miners stopped working and insisted on standing next to the dead mole.Took an hour to figure out that his pick was still stuck in the moles head.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18328 on: January 16, 2012, 08:03:45 am »

Started out on a volcano so i began to move everything and everyone over beside it.A giant mole and a giant rat wandered by but i didnt pay them much heed because my dwarves didnt...until they each stole 5 plump helmets from my food store.I chased them both but only got yhe mole.Annoyed I went back to digging out the fortress only to find that one of the miners stopped working and insisted on standing next to the dead mole.Took an hour to figure out that his pick was still stuck in the moles head.
That's odd, a dead creature should no longer have items stuck inside it and even if it did that shouldn't stop movement. Is it possible the miner was injured and unable to return to work?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18329 on: January 16, 2012, 08:08:56 am »

That's odd, a dead creature should no longer have items stuck inside it and even if it did that shouldn't stop movement. Is it possible the miner was injured and unable to return to work?
It's possible the dead mole attacked the miner, got the pick lodged in it's head, miner loses hold of the pick, mole dies.
Pages: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 ... 3842