Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102434 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18030 on: January 06, 2012, 02:29:30 am »

An Ambush inside my barracks. Poor Elves, didn't get the chance to escape :(
Poor Elves? Whats an Elves?
Dont You mean, Disgusting Vermin?
They're my only source of wood... And a contributor of miasma :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18031 on: January 06, 2012, 03:03:16 am »

My damnably daft dwarves left an engraver who got battered by a ghost in his sleep laying in his bed for about 3/4 of the year until I manually deconstructed the bed he was on. Finally getting medical attention.

Also, a five-year-old girl is running around literally covered in blood form head to toe. No wonder the goblins haven't taken her yet; she must look (and smell) terrifying!
I'll name her Girlinhat!

One of the our retired veterans has been stricken with a secretive mood. She has no non-farming skills whatsoever so she heads straight to the craftsdwarf's shop.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:23:15 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18032 on: January 06, 2012, 03:54:06 am »

Ah hah! First siege for my new samurai fort. 2 out of 48 Military Dwarfs killed, 2 maimed/injured, no loss of limbs/nerve damage and 14 copper pikes have been salvaged. Now only 18 soldiers are without weapons >:D

And this is only on the start of year 2! Next step, turn my entire populace into an army.

[I have 0 metals on my fort.]

**Edit, turns out 9 were injured. 4 unable to stand. If the hospital can't fix 'em, survival of the fittest >:D

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Goblin thief gets wedged in a choke between a horde of recruits, and a larger horde of recruits. 2 Recruits severely injured, but the marksmanship of my archers have improved greatly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:42:59 am by Loud Whispers »

fijkus

• Bay Watcher
  • "Reapers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: January 06, 2012, 05:22:35 am »

Good news: I got the a wave of menial laborers hopeful migrants, I was able to stock up on food and drink from the caravans, got my agriculture up and going, and had a really good trade session considering the fact that everyone was hungry and even the water had frozen over.

Bad news: The migrants took the fort from 17 dorfs to 41. I have enough food for a season, but not enough booze.

Guess I'm going to be throwing bodies at the problem. And processing the animal ones, with all the litters that had been going on.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: January 06, 2012, 05:38:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18035 on: January 06, 2012, 06:06:42 am »

Poor you :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18036 on: January 06, 2012, 06:18:59 am »

An Ambush inside my barracks. Poor Elves, didn't get the chance to escape :(
Poor Elves? Whats an Elves?
Dont You mean, Disgusting Vermin?
They're my only source of wood... And a contributor of miasma :P
Oh, Trading with them is Okay.
I hate the little swits, but I dont always Torture and Kill them. They can actually bring some decent Supplies, to swap for My useless ones. Much like the other Caravans, but with some different stuff.
Youve gotta hate them though ;)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18037 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:24 am »

I only hate them when they deliberately piss me off, like when they attempt to bugger off with their precious goods. Which happens to be every time I trade with them (I swear being able to spot wooden decorations is a skill:d). Also, I appear to have driven a captive goblin insane, it just keeps walking back and forth... Back and forth... While my Dwarves constantly walk over it's head. It's also in pitch black darkness. Scary.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18038 on: January 06, 2012, 07:06:20 am »

I only hate them when they deliberately piss me off, like when they attempt to bugger off with their precious goods. Which happens to be every time I trade with them (I swear being able to spot wooden decorations is a skill:d). Also, I appear to have driven a captive goblin insane, it just keeps walking back and forth... Back and forth... While my Dwarves constantly walk over it's head. It's also in pitch black darkness. Scary.
I hated them the first time I met them. I desperately needed Food, and tried to trade a Basket of Gems for Food. They literally up and left because the Basket was made of Wood.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18039 on: January 06, 2012, 07:26:10 am »

My new world has an undersea volcano... Link ...

I've been so busy over Xmas that I haven't played DF in a while. Yesterday I picked up the fortress I'd been playing before the holidays and discovered something new about the site.

I was browsing the Rooms menu and found an upright sword listed. The sword appears to be at z-level -18 near the top of the map, which is under the beach (so no need to include the volano on the embark). It's either the coast square directly north of the volcano tile or the one to the right.

I've not had one of these before so I'm glad I didn't restart after the break. I still need to wait to get the queen to come, but afterwards I think I'll have a go at getting it. It's just a shame I'm on an island. My axedwarves have some nice expensive armour, but we've had nothing to train on besides one giantess. No flux either, but maybe I'll equip some suicide squads with some iron gear.

In other news, I've built the first wall on the top of the volcano shaft. It'll take a few more years to complete the second level, but then I can completely drain the flooded volcano.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:29:31 am by Newbunkle »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18040 on: January 06, 2012, 07:37:46 am »

I find them useful so long as they give me nice animals. A grizzly a year keeps the magma away.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: January 06, 2012, 08:10:56 am »

I find them useful so long as they give me nice animals. A grizzly a year keeps the magma away.

*Looks at His Pastured Goblins*
*Looks at His Captives Elfs*
*Looks at His Pit of Magma Boiled Water*
*Scratches Chin*

I wont kill them, if the Upcoming Caravan brings Me Wine.
Fisher Berry Wine.
Two Barrels of it.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18042 on: January 06, 2012, 08:39:20 am »

Searching and searching, and yet I CAN'T FIND IRON!  This is the first time I've not been able to find it easily.  So, I find myself having to pay though the beard for steel and iron. 

Also, a Minotaur arrived.  I had my dwarves scurry underground, while my fledgling militia was called up.  After checking the unit screen, I found that the bloody thing was already deceased.  I zoomed to its remains, to discover that its entire upper body was missing.  It must have arrived, and promptly dropped dead.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18043 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:01 am »

I am a Goober.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: January 06, 2012, 12:55:44 pm »

Death and destruction is what is happening (or rather just ended) my current fort. One of my favorite fort entrance designs is to have several goblin grinders side-by-side. Unfortunately for my 50ish dwarves, before I could install any of the weapon traps a group of about 8 two humped camels decided to take up residence, becoming trapped in the grinder and being unable to leave. Unfazed at this, I decided to send in the militia to clear out the camels. What followed could only be described as a slaughter. Right off the bat my militia took down 2 of the camels, giving me a false sense of confidence before the remaining 6 camels slaughtered all 12 of them. Immediately after this a group of about 20 unarmed peasants rush in to grab everything the dwarves dropped and the camel corpses, only a few of which made it before I forbid everything, but then at that point I had peasants diving into the melee in an attempt to rescue their injured buddies before getting slaughtered themselves. To make things even worse a group of about 20 migrants showed up in the middle of this and made their way into the middle of the grinder in an attempt to reach the inside of my fort. After about 5 minutes of panic and forbidding objects, I finally managed to get everything forbidden only to have my remaining dwarves dive the camels in an attempt to clean the grinder! Cleaning, unfortunately, is a non-stoppable task after it has been queued, so those dwarves also died, resulting in the deaths of more as they attempted to rescue their injured companions/grab their socks. Meanwhile my super-mighty mason decides to throw a tantrum in the room of the survivors, slaying a few before calming down.

End result:
60ish dwarves dead
5 camels still trapped in the grinder|kills:7, 5, 4, 5, 25
1 dead camel|kills:5
2 dead camels without kills
8 injured dwarves slowly dying in beds
1 moody dwarf verging on insanity while demanding metal and shells (Is he crazy?!? I just barely started to dig for metal and haven't fished at all, and he wants metal and shells?!?)
Lots of !!FUN!! and the knowledge to leave an exit from the grinder until I get the weapon traps set up.
Oh wow, didnt notice this story until now. I laughed so hard at the traps actually hurting you in the end.

Well as for me I have about 60 dwarves and 30 dwarven corpses. For some reason noone sieged me this summer, giving me ample time to produce some 20 masterwork steel spears. For some reasons the furnaces dont recognize the steel production reaction and I had to queue them with the manager. Strange. Just as odd, I cant seem to get small stockpile for certain goods, such as a 1 tile stockpile for low quality pick...
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 3842