Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102420 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18015 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:50 pm »

I'm gonna lowball it with a 3

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18016 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »

How about 0.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18017 on: January 05, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »

IamanElfCollaborator: 8)
Drow.

Elves who dig underground, and do dwarfy things.
drough (pronounced drow) are undead.
IIRC, not just in skyrim too...
if you are looking for TES's dwarves, they are dwemer.
In several fantasy settings (such as D&D) Drow are dark elves.

In my current Volcano fort I'm setting up my super opulent dinning room and looking for any metals other than fraking Galena. Then once I'm a bit more settled I'm going to smooth my obsidian cliff and build a great altar to Armok over the magma pit.

Ooh, also I guess about 8.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18018 on: January 05, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »

Q: How many dwarven lives was sacrified to build this magma tank? The first person who answer correctly will have a dwarf named after.
21: you flooded a floor of bedrooms to make it!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18019 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »

The forward defense has been taken! the bridge has been raised and we are sealed form the outside. On the plus side the merchants are safe, for as long as the barricades hold. On the minus side, we have exactly 0 soldiers left, and all of our weapons and armor are beyond the barricade. Also on t he minus side, they have trolls. I'm pretty sure those cna destroy bridge, because we're hearing lots of ruckus of them destroying doors.

As we sit here, we think to our gods. Not Etom (of happiness) or Mengmand (of dance), not Rodem (of rain and trees), nor Thikut (of crafts). We do not even think of Duthal (of generosity), nor Alis (of fertility)

Instead we think of Limul, of the mountains, and Enor of trade and fortresses. Surely they will bless us in this dark time. Wow... we don't have as single deity of war? How embarrassing. Maybe we'll just build a wall behind our bridge, and deal with the merchants after they go insane. We'll also train... maybe 6 squads of 3 dwarves with crafted weapons (of whatever metals the merchants have) and armor made entirely of copper. Time to melt down those steel harps and iron drums - we need the metal!

Edit 1: We heard them loitering toward teh gate, and thought "hey, it's worth a shot". We pulled a lever, and crushed basically an entire squad (judging by the screams and crushing noise). I'll drink to that!

Edit 2: The merchants promised they could take care of it, so a dwaf opened the gate. Shame, 'cus now they're inside. We did try to lift the gate as soon as possible, and in the end it looks liek it was worth it. Only a handful of dwarves died, and it looks like the siege was broken. All those doors and beds destroyed... and all that blood... and... we'll be busy for a whiel cleaning up this mess.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:38:16 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18020 on: January 05, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »

Q: How many dwarven lives was sacrified to build this magma tank? The first person who answer correctly will have a dwarf named after.

ALL OF THE DWARVES. ALL OF THEM.

I'm contemplating trying to make a fort on sand that uses traps for everything and has very little weaponry/armor. The trick would be finding a site that has both sand and either lots of trees or readily-accessible geothermal fuel.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:43:27 pm by proxn_punkd »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18021 on: January 05, 2012, 03:50:49 pm »

I'm going to guess with a 10. And other animals and sentients were sacrificed as well.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18022 on: January 05, 2012, 07:19:15 pm »

So things in my new 2D fort (dont recall the name at the moment) are going well, moved in the leatherworks, butcher, refuse(bone/skull/skin) stockpile, leaving the rest of the rubbish outside. Working on digging out some space for the smiths and furnaces now.
1st winter just set in, we have food and drink to spare so I'm not worried, we have an extra horse about if we need more meat though.

The three main hallways have been dug close to the chasm, haven't opened it just yet, want to arm a few dwarves first, but that should be easy now that we have a good stock of bronze and are making mail and weapons and shields for the first few recruits we have.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18023 on: January 05, 2012, 07:29:05 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Ugsnor Amxuusbu has come! An enormous fox with external ribs. It has three curly tails and it squirms and fidgets. Its lime hair is unkempt. Beware its webs!

Urge to draw in sumi-e style... rising...

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18024 on: January 05, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »

Lost 3 legendaries from the military due to nosebleeds and a futher 1 from having skin missing on the ear. For a year they slowly bled, in that time i took them off duty and disbanded their squads, where they went to the hospital and got diagnosed but no one would fix them. So i put them back in the military since they refused to rest and for another year they trained and fought, until they became dizzy from severe bloodloss and eventually died from it. You fucking dickheads.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18025 on: January 05, 2012, 08:34:07 pm »

Death and destruction is what is happening (or rather just ended) my current fort. One of my favorite fort entrance designs is to have several goblin grinders side-by-side. Unfortunately for my 50ish dwarves, before I could install any of the weapon traps a group of about 8 two humped camels decided to take up residence, becoming trapped in the grinder and being unable to leave. Unfazed at this, I decided to send in the militia to clear out the camels. What followed could only be described as a slaughter. Right off the bat my militia took down 2 of the camels, giving me a false sense of confidence before the remaining 6 camels slaughtered all 12 of them. Immediately after this a group of about 20 unarmed peasants rush in to grab everything the dwarves dropped and the camel corpses, only a few of which made it before I forbid everything, but then at that point I had peasants diving into the melee in an attempt to rescue their injured buddies before getting slaughtered themselves. To make things even worse a group of about 20 migrants showed up in the middle of this and made their way into the middle of the grinder in an attempt to reach the inside of my fort. After about 5 minutes of panic and forbidding objects, I finally managed to get everything forbidden only to have my remaining dwarves dive the camels in an attempt to clean the grinder! Cleaning, unfortunately, is a non-stoppable task after it has been queued, so those dwarves also died, resulting in the deaths of more as they attempted to rescue their injured companions/grab their socks. Meanwhile my super-mighty mason decides to throw a tantrum in the room of the survivors, slaying a few before calming down.

End result:
60ish dwarves dead
5 camels still trapped in the grinder|kills:7, 5, 4, 5, 25
1 dead camel|kills:5
2 dead camels without kills
8 injured dwarves slowly dying in beds
1 moody dwarf verging on insanity while demanding metal and shells (Is he crazy?!? I just barely started to dig for metal and haven't fished at all, and he wants metal and shells?!?)
Lots of !!FUN!! and the knowledge to leave an exit from the grinder until I get the weapon traps set up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: January 05, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »

A sasquatch charged my gates. It got bisected by the weapon traps before ever injuring a single dwarf, but I had absolutely no idea this region even got sasquatches! 8 years, and one sasquatch sighting total.

Also, I built dolomite pyramids over the slabs of two poor bastards that died in sieges and came back as ghosts. This is how I will honor the forgotten dead from now on.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18027 on: January 06, 2012, 01:13:00 am »

An Ambush inside my barracks. Poor Elves, didn't get the chance to escape :(

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:29 am »

I've succeed in importing a pairs of bovines from the human. Still need some dogs from them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the dwarven caravan the season after just got half-owned by a herd of elephants.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:28:09 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: January 06, 2012, 02:16:13 am »

An Ambush inside my barracks. Poor Elves, didn't get the chance to escape :(
Poor Elves? Whats an Elves?
Dont You mean, Disgusting Vermin?
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 3842