Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102299 times)

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18060 on: January 07, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

things are starting to look up at lisidurist (clashdaggers) my 2D fort, we lost a few dwarves recently, one to the cave river who was trying to build a bridge and never got to finish, one to a mood (glassworker, and he was possessed so no real loss) and two to unicorns... why the hunters see a creature more than twice their size with a giant fucking horn and decide "yep, i'll go for that one" I may never know, but no need to worry about them now.
Food stocks are struggling still, the population went from 10 to 40 in the last year, and the food stockpiles reflect how ill prepared for this we were, we've gathered plenty of food finally but now the struggle is to supply enough booze for 40 dwarves without brewing all the food away. Wish those hunters could have actually killed something, instead of getting mauled by unicorns.

We came across the chasm, accidentally, I was trying to hold off until the military was more than 4 dwarves strong (two recruits wielding bronze weapons and some bronze chain armour, two trained soldiers in leather, with chain over it, and iron weapons)

Beds are slowly being built to provide rooms for the 40 dwarves, so far only 32 rooms have been finished but the overflow fits nicely into the barracks in the mean time.

All industries that are active have been moved inside the cavern finally, so only the woodcutters, fishers, and herbalists really venture outside out of neccesity anymore, the military is sent out there once in a while to avoid cave adaption as well in case of goblins.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18061 on: January 07, 2012, 05:36:20 pm »

I accidentally revealed the underground structure while exploring the caverns. The miasma-spewing inhabitants are draining my FPS, but they seem to be keeping to themselves. At least they explain the two mysterious corpses in the units screen on embark. On the plus side, I found three additional candy spires while looking around, so I may avoid the structure for the time being and kit out my invasion force.

Duke Newbunkle only has to wait a year or two for his queen to show up. Hopefully I can get them to hook up and marry myself into the royal line. Muahaha. Winter is coming, which means the annual ocean freeze is due. I'll do my best to get as much as the volcano wall built as I can before the thaw. In a few years I'll have prevented the shaft from flooding and I can build my fortress of glass inside before re-flooding it with magma.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18062 on: January 07, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »

Waterwalls has lost three dorfs to the creation of the Invader-removing Doomfall entrance, due to a miscalculation about pathing and passage size. On the plus side, it has been confirmed that the Doomfall entryway works exactly as planned, as the three exploded corpses at the bottom attest.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18063 on: January 08, 2012, 12:09:43 am »

Scratched the dirt at a new site, "Gemsquashed", which has a volcano, sand (black), fire clay, and marble and obsidian aplenty... and no iron, go figure. Copper armor for everyone! Presently capping up the volcano with dacite, allowing me to do some exploratory mining.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18064 on: January 08, 2012, 12:42:43 am »

Nearing the end of year three at Marblehalls . . . population is up to 98 . . . the only child is my one on-site birth so far . . . and we have no military whatsoever; we haven't even named a militia commander yet.
But that's all right, as we haven't seen any enemies yet either. My Civilizations screen shows a goblin civ, "The Malignant Jackal," so they must have visited my map at some point, but I sure didn't see anyone. Maybe a thief came by and boldly made off with a cedar log, or maybe it just looked at my wall and thought better of it.

My broker was very shrewd with the dwarven caravan last time, so this year we gave them a really sweet deal, loading them down with booze and prepared meals (and a good thing too, we were drowning in the stuff), and offered up a superiorly-designed gabbro scepter (decorated with a tourmaline image of dwarves traveling to the site of Marblehalls) for them to take back to our queen.

Meanwhile, my forge is cranking out head-to-toe suits of steel. The wiki says that technically, greaves are better than (chain) leggings, but I'm still going with the leggings because they can't be worn at the same time, and because the idea of wearing steel greaves on top of steel high boots--while leaving the thighs almost completely bare--is just plain silly. Not to mention undorfy.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18065 on: January 08, 2012, 01:28:47 am »

"Please let there be something other than zinc. Please let there be something other than zinc."

-You Have Struck Sphalerite!-

"ARRRRGH!"

On the plus side, I will not be mining this damned zinc. On the even greater plus side, I've found an aquifer, and the Door of Wonders is holding back the seawater (and drowning some of the zinc!), so looks like I'm gonna be using water power once I find a handy cavern I can flood.

And as an experiment, I've ordered the training of catapult operators to further Project: Screw Trees. The way I see it, if I can set up a nice fine curtain of lava somewhere in front of the catapult, or maybe some lava mist...then fire lignite THROUGH it...I'd have a weapon that takes twice as long to use as a lava weapon, costs more, uses more piping, is prone to setting the fort on fire and/or melting my own walls, has a shocking rate of fire BUT..... would have a really nice range. And sets things on fire. And sets things on fire from the other side of the map. And since I'm in the middle of a very peaceful forest.....might as well make sure the elves don't settle here, eh?

That, or I'll have an impenetrable lava-screen protecting my fort (and/or setting it on fire). Either way, I can see uses for it.

And if it works, I'm going to mod-in lignite ballista bolts, start a new fort and see how many goblins I can set on fire and/or blow up with one shot from across the map.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18066 on: January 08, 2012, 03:21:06 am »

A forgotten beast with a body of snow arrived in a cavern I had yet to build down into, visible under five or six levels of empty space beneath the central stairwell. I thought I could throw down some disarmed goblins, one goblin would get a lucky shot and blow up the snow beast for me. After a few goblins dying from the fall alone, I carved some tentative stairs down a cavern rock pillar, but still three levels above the huge bad guy. The next few goblins got knocked out or stunned from the pain of the fall, then frosty would come along, push them around (I imagine into the rock walls of the cavern, breaking their bones), and spit frozen venom at them when they collapsed. The best of the goblins was a mace lord who scrambled away a few times before the beast held him down and let a bunch of poison ice fall out of its mouth and crush him ("Bleeeh").

Because the goblin sacrifices kept taking too much fall damage to fight the beast competently, I tried throwing a goblin spearman to land on a convenient tower-cap. I thought it would be one less level of fall damage, and the beast would shamble over and fight the less-harmed goblin stuck in the tree. The titan never showed up, I think because the goblin was never actually touching the ground. He got a broken elbow landing in the underground treetop, but came out of pain pretty quickly. After this, nothing was wrong with him except he was disarmed, naked, and stuck in a tree with a broken elbow. I was fine leaving it at that, but the dwarves saw him down there, and kept cancelling sleep. No one wanted to go to bed with this fucking goblin stuck in this tree. No one wanted to mine some stairs so I could send hammerdwarves down to kill him (galena is the only metal I had found, which yields lead and silver if you didn't know).

I drafted a peasant to be a heroic marksdwarf and shoot that annoying fucker out of his tree in the enormous cellar so the dwarves could get some sleep. Squads. Archer. Dodek Tealface. The first thing the conscript did was go outside to walk across the map and pull some swanky gloves off a partial skeleton. Then my new agent of death climbed a few flights up to some bins to get a new pair of cougar pants. Then he had a drink. Then he went to bed. Since he sleeps off in a barracks now the goblin didn't bug him. I tried adding dwarves to the squad but was still getting spammed with sleep cancellations, so I tried a cave-in.

A cave-in necessitated that I channel out two up-down stairs on the apartment level and most of the corridor tiles that lead off to some statue chambers and floodgated (empty) goblin jails. Apparently I did not plan the cave-in too well because my miner who came with the original seven fell and broke an arm and ankle, and a converted jeweler who just graduated to Miner broke his neck. The main cave-in block landed on the goblin and apparently reduced him and the tower-cap he was stuck in to a fine powder. I think the fallen miners were stuck waffling between digging the channel, and cancelling the channel because they could see the goblin.

I finished carving the cavern stairs from above and some dwarves recovered the wounded and the corpse. Since there were now dwarves on the floor, the forgotten snow beast was soon along to spit on some people. A newbie hammerdwarf tapped the monster with a silver war hammer and it exploded and died, being made of snow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:24:33 am by the woods »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18067 on: January 08, 2012, 03:31:04 am »

A goblin thief met a lowly kobold peasant named Thlanger. Thlanger first noticed her agressor after he had lopped off her left arm. It lay on the ground. It didn't bother her that much. Just a minor injury! Not even bleeding! Thlanger walked away as if nothing happened. The goblin ran for his very life. as a small militia of angry kobolds stormed out after him.

Thlanger the Nonchalant went on to lead a happy and healthy life. She became a farmer. She still doesn't care one bit that she's missing an arm. Frankly, it doesn't bother her in the slightest.

Sometime later, the Head Kobold and Skilled Knife User was patrolling the perimeter, when he met an elephant! Not just any elephant, but a WAR elephant. With an elf on top. On top of that, the elf had somehow reached all the way down and stabbed him in the foot! Well, lying on the ground in a pool of her own blood, she wasn't having any of this. In seconds, she had brought both elf and mount to her height. And then stabbed another elf. After all this was done, she dragged herself inside and called it a day.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18068 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41:58 am »

Noticed that b-w-j is to build a jeweler's workshop, and b-j is to build a cage trap. This is significant because I have trapped many a jeweler (like cages, get it?) due to the impassable walls. Like the one that build the jeweler's workshop with which I noticed this!
Oh, how Fun.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:45:42 am by tommy521 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18069 on: January 08, 2012, 05:16:00 am »

I'm now wondering if it's possible to cage in goblins with workshops.

...The possibilities....

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18070 on: January 08, 2012, 05:33:51 am »

Forced labor camps. All we need now is elves to come. Wood crafts for everyone!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18071 on: January 08, 2012, 07:46:04 am »

Hard at work sealing the caverns for safety reasons.

Then, a siege shows up. Two squads, bowgoblins and lashers. Every dwarf's worst nightmare.
So what do I do? I retract the drawbridge. We've access to cave plants and trees. A herbalist and a siege operator were caught outside, as well as a baby elephant and a cat. All were killed with a single strike.

A danger room has been made. Don't shoot me... but I don't want to lose this fort this early.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18072 on: January 08, 2012, 07:47:25 am »

A danger room? I will not shoot you if your dwarves are seriously injured using this and/or elves die here painfully.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18073 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03:52 am »

One dwarf fell asleep while practicing, and took a saguaro spear through the brain. Oh well, friendless recruit who was once a cheesemaker, no one will miss you.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18074 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:36 am »

YAY!

Bloodshed. You have just gotten a free sample of Magmacin.
Pages: 1 ... 1203 1204 [1205] 1206 1207 ... 3842