Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093612 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15840 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:13 pm »

No weapons-grade metal in my new fort Bisekvucar either; only ore is of tin. So now my melee squad is armed with wooden shields and training spears, and with leather, bone and shell armour. Their captain has a larch breastplate. I'm fucked if Goblins attacked. :P  Even troglodytes take a hell of while to slap silly.

And my small marksdwarf squad is named "The Gloved Entries." Too bad I can't use rubber. :P
Use catapults to fire stone at enemies. Arm your dwarves entirely with wooden crossbows and bolts, training weapons suck.

Or, replace the blunt attacks on training weapons with attacks like stab or slash and replace them with the normal weapon's edged attacks. I did this, never tested it though.

AFAIK, that's how the Elven Wooden Weapons work. Which, on a metal poor embark, is not a bad buying choice to augment whatever metal stuff you can afford.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #15841 on: August 26, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »

The method of breeding animals without taming them is working wonders for my cavy meat industry. The remote murder apparatus is eliminating the babies and leaving the adults untouched.  :D

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15842 on: August 26, 2011, 09:42:26 pm »

Got three more migrants before winter, set up a hospital (with no doctor), struck a vein of galena, began setting up my metal/glass/clay industries, set up paltry entrance defenses (read: Cage traps), traded some cloth and statues to caravan, and ordered a smorgasbord of metals and ores.
The traps are working without a hitch. I've already caught 3 undead with it and saved the life of my starting carpenter. Founding this fortress was actually pretty fun, I wonder what the next year will bring.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15843 on: August 27, 2011, 12:07:24 am »

It's been a fairly uneventful year in Drunkensteels.

Several children have been born- good news, as I've decided to start a side course of SCIENCE while I wait for the raw materials for the city to be produced. To that end I've started carving easily sealable rooms in the caverns

Drunkensteels has been promoted to a County! This news has apparently set my Countess and Mayor off on a mandate spree- nothing unfulfillable, but the constant orders for crowns from my mayor is starting to grate on my nerves. Fortunately for him, crowns can be made of bone, and I have a surfeit of the the stuff as I continually cull the herd so they stop fighting in the pasture.

No exciting FB's- one made of steam that predictably died in one hit. The good news is that my military has its first two Hammer Lords- the Militia Commander and his mate. Once I have dwarves worthy of studying under them, I'll give the other Hammer Lord his own squad.

Finally, and I'm not sure about this, but I think one of my ghosts is throwing miasma. At first I thought it was just a dead guy I missed, but when I made a statue garden away from any food it popped up there. Then I thought maybe some dwarf was rotting, but I couldn't find anything on anyone's health screen to suggest that was happening. I just now caught the mystery miasma in a completely unfurnished, uninhabited basement... except for Tholtig Dyegallyes, Ghostly Spinner. Who was also present in the other meeting areas. Who's wound screen describes her as "Pale." Bug, or feature?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15844 on: August 27, 2011, 12:16:13 am »

553 forgotten beast meat. Not going to go hungry for years...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15845 on: August 27, 2011, 12:32:26 am »

A goblin snatcher just decloaked next to my Furnace Operator, in the middle of her duty, stabbed her in the head killing her instantly, snatched her baby and made it clean off the map. Pursuit was interrupted when a kobold thief blundered into the path of my Militia Commander, distracting him long enough for the snatcher to escape. Immediately after this tragedy, a random peasant gave birth to a ugly, useless baby boy. Circle of life?

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15846 on: August 27, 2011, 01:25:03 am »

Creating a useless militia that uses copper weapons (forged from melted goblin weapons), because my adamntine clad warriors make things way to easy.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15847 on: August 27, 2011, 03:23:00 am »

No weapons-grade metal in my new fort Bisekvucar either; only ore is of tin. So now my melee squad is armed with wooden shields and training spears, and with leather, bone and shell armour. Their captain has a larch breastplate. I'm fucked if Goblins attacked. :P  Even troglodytes take a hell of while to slap silly.

And my small marksdwarf squad is named "The Gloved Entries." Too bad I can't use rubber. :P
Use catapults to fire stone at enemies. Arm your dwarves entirely with wooden crossbows and bolts, training weapons suck.

Or, replace the blunt attacks on training weapons with attacks like stab or slash and replace them with the normal weapon's edged attacks. I did this, never tested it though.

AFAIK, that's how the Elven Wooden Weapons work. Which, on a metal poor embark, is not a bad buying choice to augment whatever metal stuff you can afford.
Better is that I've found Tetrahedrite in the second cavern. :D :D :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15848 on: August 27, 2011, 05:07:42 am »

I installed on my office computer and ran an embark. I didn't figure I would play much at work, but why not play with world gens while you are semi-busy?  My first gen had a volcano on an island! (I saved the virgin embark.) I looked around and liked it, so I brought it home with me.

I was a magma virgin, so I turned off sieges so as to best learn to play with the stuff. I learned that I haven't yet figured out how to properly dig into the 'cano. I lost a dorf to that. But I ended up with a beautiful channel I can separate in five sections and drain if needed, albeit slowly. It can power 14 magma thingies the way I designed it/channeled the floor above. I've 3 smelters, 4 forges, a kiln and a glass furn. I love them - just fucking love them all.

A "moat" was channeled and a manual pump-stack of two was set up to dump love on the said moat when the entrance bridge is pulled up. It has not been tested, but I know it works. I've done them on water before, and I can make steel or obsidian mechs/floods/you name it. (Steel is somewhat limited, obsi is not.) And it is only two pumps, so I am not worried. Also, no sieges, so when I try, I'll only kill a random dorf or the liaison.

I tried to breach the caverns as soon... Well, I picked a bad spot to try and had to dig little peek holes every 20ish levels, and still I had only seen a few (1x6, 2x2, 2x4, etc) patches of cavern floor, a lot of open space and outlines. Nowhere to dig in. 

I finally get in on what I can only assume is cavern 1 given the friends I have made. But it is deep. I noticed the top at -52 and I landed at -148. It is workable. I built a barracks, archery range and dining hall on what will be the new main level. I learned from the cave challenge that having a few squads where you mill about in the caves is handy and they make good with troggies. Still, some deaths - mostly in the moving of tables/squads 150z and 4 trogs for the welcoming party. I swear we left that opening alone a year or so while we were smoothing and no one calls upon us, but I haul a door down there and the neighbors knock on it?

I have the start of a 9z waterfall from one level to another? (Confused as to what cave level I am on.) But...

I decide to use two levels of water to make a pit room and devise a plan to drop friends 10z with the ability to flood them if they live and also drain the pool to get any goodies. 4 levels down I find the sea of love. The plans have all changed.

-----------------

P.S. Two levels above my entrance, I made a pasture and a small sculpture. It looks like this;   :)

Code: [Select]

XXXXXX
X~~~~~~X
X~~~~~~X
X~X~~X~X
=~~~~~~=
========
==~XX~==
========
 ======
    ==
     =

'X' = Microcline,  '~' = Shist, '=' = Cinnabar

Edit: Just revealed some blue metal. It's a small reveal, but should not be hard to get to. Maybe. But this is more than I wanted so soon. We've only just begun the new apartment complex. (It is how we found the candy.) So well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:46:04 am by C0NNULL »
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15849 on: August 27, 2011, 07:06:36 am »

Oh, this isn't good! :o
My first real encounter with a volcano, I decided to see if I could mine the precious obsidian out of the side of it to fulfil my second mood, a metalsmith demanding, well, metal. A little leak of lava started and my miner ran off, well, can't blame them. I sort of forgot about for a while, and went back to searching the underground for metal ore, until suddenly dwarves starting screaming that they couldn't reach stockpiles. "What?" I thought, and looked at the entrance.
Oh no. The lava leak has continued unabated, slowly but surely trickling down, turning the entire mountainside into a mashochistic giant's mudslide! D: Now the lava's pooling about ankle-deep around my entrance, blocking passage... Only injury so far was to my precious militia commander, who had her lower lip burnt off.
Thankfully that was all, and she survived, but... Is this river of lava ever going to stop? :(
Time to send in some brave idiot to plug the hole!

Edit: Looks like the shearer's in trouble... It's pooling in through the entrance and the fool's gotten himself trapped on a single tile, surrounded by red! Well, this seems like a perfect time to learn how to pump, hey? ::)

Edit edit:
Journal of Oddom Ralmat, Weaver of Lisidoddom, 21st Hematite 169
The shearer's dead!! The craftsdwarf's dead!! The woodcrafter is about to be dead, and he's Commander Lori's lover!! We are all doomed!
Our only hope is the Rith Stelidast, she has to dig a way out of this fort before it becomes our tomb!

Oh, no! The food stockpiles!
It's in the tallow!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:18:35 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15850 on: August 27, 2011, 10:03:31 am »

Have you considered rubber-wood gauntlets?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15851 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:49 am »

Have you considered rubber-wood gauntlets?
That's an Elven armor type.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15852 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:59 am »

Remember, Urist, the ring wants to be found.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15853 on: August 27, 2011, 10:35:18 am »

Ooooh jeez. Ouch.
Tunnels have been made to rescue those trapped inside the lava-filled fortress, but several have already lost their lives, and I don't doubt many are wounded. The fey-posessed metalcrafter is still sitting in his forge as the lava laps up around it, screaming about metal bars... This is all his fault! >:(
Well, time to start a new above-ground fort then, I guess! At least until I can pump water into that lava. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15854 on: August 27, 2011, 11:19:51 am »

Ooooh jeez. Ouch.
Tunnels have been made to rescue those trapped inside the lava-filled fortress, but several have already lost their lives, and I don't doubt many are wounded. The fey-posessed metalcrafter is still sitting in his forge as the lava laps up around it, screaming about metal bars... This is all his fault! >:(
Well, time to start a new above-ground fort then, I guess! At least until I can pump water into that lava. :P

I should probably mention that obsidian isn't a metal... if he wants metal, the bastard wants metal.

On the upshot, he will, very shortly, no longer be a problem.

I haven't played in a while, not since watching my marksdwarf punch a forgotten beast to death with her bare hands. I hit magma, finally, so I now have to pump it up like  million floors to get to where it needs to be. However, I can make some obsidian shortswords. Better than nothing.

Time to pump out hundreds of glass pump pieces, though!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 3842