Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128395 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15135 on: August 05, 2011, 03:43:47 pm »

Arrrgggg!!  New fort setting up nicely, but I haven't found any ore yet.  Not a problem, but it makes me eager to buy and melt anything metal from the caravans.  Well, the humans come by with a pretty nice haul.  I offer them a small profit, they laugh.  I offer them a reasonable profit, they laugh.  By the time I'm prepared to 'assume the position' and give them trade goods like its Christmas, they storm off in a huff.  Argg!

Not bad.  Not really even 'fun'.  But it has me frustrated.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15136 on: August 05, 2011, 03:45:16 pm »

Recently qualified for a mayor. The first elected mayor of Rampartroots wasted no time in issuing his first mandate. Which was...

Prohibiting the export of bins.

I fired his ass.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15137 on: August 05, 2011, 03:50:50 pm »

One Armed Willy, as I had come to call him, was a swordmaster who happened to lose his arm in the early years of Chaosaxe. Well he recently lost his other arm fighting a troll and is now No Arm Willy. He cannot be a swordmaster without arms, so I have him geared up and training as a wrestler. How many more shall fall to the nubs?!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15138 on: August 05, 2011, 03:58:39 pm »

Recently qualified for a mayor. The first elected mayor of Rampartroots wasted no time in issuing his first mandate. Which was...
Prohibiting the export of bins.
I fired his ass.
Really?  I often save bins for future use by selecting the contents for trade, while leaving the bin behind.  I tend to embark on sparse wood maps, so I save all the wood products I can!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15139 on: August 05, 2011, 04:19:26 pm »

Freecraft 254=

Population: 80
Wealth: 255K

Events:
Just had the first child born to us, a happy day! The eightieth member of the society!
We have survived a total of three sieges to date.

Construction:
Have completed all major projects for fortress survival.  In celebration we created a memorial hall within our city and a crypt for our dead on a hillside overlooking the fortress.  We also created a reflection area where our wounded warriors can think back to previous battles.

Production:
Food production is at 100% as is alcohol, weapon and armor production are also up to snuff, not quite complete though and only cobalt.  We've had two artifacts created, we've created an iron shoe and a bismouth spear. 

Combat:
As mentioned we defeated three sieges without major insult, unfortunately during the recovery of wounded from the last siege a group of goblins ambushed us and killed three of our soldiers, cowards.  We are strong and ready for anything however.  We have three groups of melee warriors and one group of ranged warriors.

Aiyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15140 on: August 05, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »

I have a self-sustaining fortress running now, with defences, a 10-strong militia of apparently Spartan dwarves (They wear civilian clothes instead of armor, with the addition of iron gauntlets. They don't use weapons. They've fought off two sieges without a loss.)

I also have a militia commander with a caved in skull who refuses to stay down.

I've decided to leave that one alone for a while though, to try something.
I saw in the oilfurnace comic, that they dug through an aquifier? Can someone explain to me how to do this, I've never used ascii, always had a tileset so the tutorials don't make sense / are confusing / too vague.
Soon as I work that out, I'm going to make a new fortress, and try it out myself.
Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15141 on: August 05, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »

Disaster! An accident working on an aquifer pierce from below has resulted in my main hall flooded!

We've managed to seal off the area and are working around it, it will no doubt be lost forever.  Four dwarves died during the heroic sealing of the room.  They gave their lives to literally save the entire fortress.

(I guess you're never too seasoned to cause a flood)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:32:51 pm by Mickey Blue »

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #15142 on: August 05, 2011, 05:02:20 pm »

[Playing Genesis]
The magma piston project at Tongshigh has run into unexpected complications: the nearly 100 level deep impact tunnel partially pierces a previously undiscovered cavern layer. I came to the decision to carry on, since the integrity of the piston should remain stable regardless ( and I won't be convinced otherwise!). This decision has led to my fort being nearly overrun with crundles and giant rats, demanding a continuous military presence until the project is complete.

Kivish Kebonstakud, a legendary engraver, supplied a rendition of the incident:
Spoiler: Future magma piston (click to show/hide)

In other news, a yak bull managed to find his way inside the fort proper, disturbing the workforce. After a hammerdwarf broke its spine in several places, I left it to suffocate. After the military departed, a lone farmer sneaked in, bit the yak's testicles and ran out. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:36:08 pm by SlimyMarmot »

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15143 on: August 05, 2011, 05:34:07 pm »

One of my dwarves was assaulted by a herd of skeletal deer. My military took their time to get there, and in the meantime, the dwarf got swung about by the leg, tearing an artery, and had her nose fractured.
The skeletal deer put down, she went off to build the wall she was sent to build. Medical staff pulled her away from the designated build site, I assume to bring her to the hospital. Her current task is still Construct Building, so I imagine she is not going willingly.

Speaking of the hospital, Amost has recently come back from the dead and is haunting the hospital. Fortunately, another dwarf went fey and made a granite figurine, so I now have a legendary stone crafter to engrave tombstones.

A set of artifact steel greeves called Passeddents, worth 138000, was also recently constructed.

EDIT: Just noticed that the wounded dwarf wasn't brought to the hospital. Instead she was brought to the prison next door. She wasn't tied up, just put on one of the beds next to the chains. It looks like she is being treated in the prison too. I don't see why they aren't using the hospital, my homeless dwarves don't mind squatting there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:03:46 pm by McDwarf »

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15144 on: August 05, 2011, 06:01:02 pm »

Currently I'm building a necropolis beneath a freezing embark split between a serene ocean and a sinister tundra.  While mass producing statues for the tombs, a legendary mason made a rather strange one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently a (the?) horse making a plaintive gesture was too hard for him to depict coherently.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #15145 on: August 05, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »

I'm trying the cave challenge and my hunter/only soldier just had a no-holds barred beat-down on a giant olm that ended with the hunter only having a broken nose. He only shot one bolt at the olm too, so it was just beating him with his crossbow!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15146 on: August 05, 2011, 07:04:31 pm »

We are eighty strong, we are building more and more armor and weapons, we have our defenses up.. We are strong, we are Dwarf!

We struck gold this evening within the caverns, we began harvesting it and decided to put it to good use, we are building a road paved with gold to our borders, that will let all know a powerful fortress stands here.

We overcame another forty or so stranglers in a three siege combo, no deaths, no injuries.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15147 on: August 05, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »

weaponsmith mooded and made a addy battle axe.

RAK has been ecstatic recently.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15148 on: August 05, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »

Scored my 6th legendary +5 Cook, and Food Stores have now exceeded 6000 units, with 3600 being "Other" (prepared meals).

No hungry dwarves in Metropolis Kubukmebzuth !

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15149 on: August 05, 2011, 09:51:26 pm »

Using (and fiddling around with the stuff in) the Civilization Forge mod.

Three worlds total will be made, the first one done to test the mod itself.

Making my smelters, blast furnaces and alchemy shops spew forth useful stuff to give away or bend to my will.
Pages: 1 ... 1008 1009 [1010] 1011 1012 ... 3842