Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1010 1011 [1012] 1013 1014 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128398 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15165 on: August 06, 2011, 09:31:50 am »

Fought my first cyclopes.  Well....technically second--the 'first' one spawn on the other side of the river--I'll kill him when it freezes over.  Thought it was gonna be an epic fight.  Well, it kinda was.  Started up with ol' OneEye doing pretty good.  He smashed the arm of one of my Recruits, then picked him up and swung him around by his fourth toe.  But then my HammerDwarf hit him in the head.  The cyclopes passed out and what followed was 24 pages of my military smacking around his unconscious body.  His skull got "shattered" at least a dozen times, then he regains consciousness.  Then he dies.  That was really kinda cool.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15166 on: August 06, 2011, 09:32:06 am »

How about the upright addy long sword I have? I just don't know how to break it.

q -> 'x' to destroy, I believe, much like every other furniture.
He means break, not remove.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15167 on: August 06, 2011, 09:36:03 am »

How about the upright addy long sword I have? I just don't know how to break it.

q -> 'x' to destroy, I believe, much like every other furniture.

Spoiler: This kind of break (click to show/hide)

EDIT: This is a stack of 121 superiorly prepared nakkadile egg stew. The ingredients are finely minced nakkadile egg, finely minced nakkadile egg, and finely minced nakkadile egg.
Value: 7018☼. This stack alone could feed my entire fortress for three seasons (I only have 21 dwarves atm).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:15:26 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15168 on: August 06, 2011, 10:22:56 am »

I've set the advanced world gen parameters to let me have a whoppingly, MASSIVE, 10000 EMBARK POINTS!!!!! So I can bring *far* more supplies initially.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15169 on: August 06, 2011, 10:30:03 am »

My newest embark - it will be a grand fortress! (I'm planning on cutting away all of the dirt once I'm done) was plagued by buzzards.

Buzzards.

So, I set my four-strong military on them. Yes, I shall allow the brave sons of Clearfire to destroy these foul beasts.

They spent ten minutes chasing the bloody things. Naturally, I played Yakety Sax.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15170 on: August 06, 2011, 11:02:07 am »

I modded elves to use steel and only steel, and cloned their entity definition (adding numeric suffixes for uniqueness). I now have ten elven caravans at varying points in the following process:

Travel to the dwarven fortress of Whipriver -> Arrive -> Go to depot -> Unload goods -> Get robbed of all steel, food, booze, barrels and cloth -> Pack up -> Leave in a huff.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15171 on: August 06, 2011, 11:08:19 am »

I'm bringing 40 of five types of booze, 30 each of two meats, 30 each of three plants, a bronze anvil, 100 each of three leathers, 100 each of three woods, 150 each of three stones, and Armok doesn't even know what else I might bring. Perhaps lots of dogs, cave crabs, giant beetles and maybe even lots of sheep and cows to make cloth and leather. And meat, too, should our farms run short of seeds.

Bringing all sorts of other random crap to fulfill my wishes of an easy embark.

Gonna dig a clay pit to make houses, saving wood for crossbows, bolts, and bringing lots of flint to combine with the wood to make flint hand-axes, short swords and perhaps spears.

llamalama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15172 on: August 06, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »

A dwarf taken by a mood has just created an adamantine craft that is worth just as much as the rest of my fort combined. I looked at the items in the workshop before he made it and I think he used one piece of raw adamantine and at least two other adamantine raw materials. This made an object worth a cool 1.6 million.

I am expecting to be under siege permanently from now on.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15173 on: August 06, 2011, 03:11:52 pm »

The Second Great Elf Robbery has ended. Now all I have to do is get all of the steel stuff down to the magma smelter to be melted. There's quite a lot of it, including 73 anvils, 80 or so shields and bucklers, tons of crafts and flasks, and a decent amount of pretty much any armor you can think of except masks (which elves don't make). I expect I have enough steel to equip twenty dwarves in my standard uniform (mail shirt, greaves, helm, gauntlets, high boots, shield) and arm them (I've decided that I'm going to make them dual-wield shields). Once they're all set, I'll clean out the curious structure and establish it as a barracks for an army of 50 or so swordsdwarves.

Then I'll breed rocs, giant eagles, and nakkadiles until they stop breeding, wait for them to all grow up, train them all for war, stick them in a cage next to the longsword, take the sword and lever the cage open. The ultimate variant of the doberman bomb.

EDIT: I'm also going to marksdwarfize the rest of my fortress, thanks to a secretive bowyer who currently has about three million crossbows cluttering up his workshop, which really doesn't matter, because the bones alone bring it to max clutter. Yay for not needing yet another stockpile!

EDIT2: WOOP WOOP WOOP MOODY ARMORER #2! The first one made a shield. Brb, savescumming until shield so my commander can be truly unstoppable in his dual artifact shields.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:40:03 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15174 on: August 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »

I tested my new race's military.
They just slaughtered the giant ants..
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15175 on: August 06, 2011, 03:50:50 pm »

Urist McMother cancels place item in tomb:  Seeking Infant

I think this may be my favorite "seeking infant" interruption ever.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15176 on: August 06, 2011, 05:14:53 pm »

Death by horrible management.

I was so busy trying to get my archers to shoot the guys in my arena (causing massive job cancellations because of crappy planning + first arena) that I ignored rest of the fort. Another siege came I said "FK IT LOCK THE DOORS."

Check my dining hall.. everyone is dieing of thirst. I queue up lots of booze (I have like 300 plants) and assign more brewers. Find out they have no barrels. "WTF I told the manager to make barrels!!" The managers office is outside of the danger burrow.

By now my archers are running out of arrows and havnt touched the guys in the arena...
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15177 on: August 06, 2011, 05:16:44 pm »

It is the middle of the third year of Banikurdim Datur Etar ("Hextowers the Spires of Kings"), and construction of the seventh tower is finally underway.  The underground roots of the eighth are linked in to the mighty central meeting hall, awaiting use as an animal breeding/butchery/tanning/leatherworking tower.  (Yes, I am aware that 'hex' is six, not eight, but the dwarf language appears to have no parallel for 'octo'!  :P)

The magma-powered smelting/metalworking tower has finally been powered up (after three years!), and smelting has begun in earnest.  The woodworking tower is up and running, and I'm now just trying to set up the living quarters of each of the towers.  The idea is that, eventually, dwarves will be assigned to a burrow encompassing their tower (for whichever industry they're part of) and the central meeting hall/food/drink pile.  Haulers and other generic minions, as well as nobles, will have free reign to wander where they wish.  Warriors will earn that same privilege once they have fought their way up through the ranks of the military tower.

Edit: also, although this is not my first fortress by a long shot, I only just realised that (if you do decide to assign living quarters manually), dwarves that already possess some form of quarters are highlighted brown in the assignment list, whilst those without an owned quarters are green.  Useful if you're trying to work out who does/does not need a bed!  If you're not letting them pick their own, that is.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15178 on: August 06, 2011, 05:19:12 pm »

The entire premise of my "giant roccadile bomb" has been ruined. I remembered that merchant-sourced animals don't breed, so unless I turn migrants back on and get lucky with pets, my female rocs and giant eagles are only useful for giving me food or money (roc egg roasts).

EDIT: I do have one giant eagle breeding, because it came as a pet, so it seems the problems with bought animals are on the females' end.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 05:21:58 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15179 on: August 06, 2011, 05:55:19 pm »

If bought animals don't breed, I can't explain why I'm in the middle of a brown bear splosion. It all started around 10 years ago when I bought the second brown bear from the elves. They are trainable. Yay! Warbears! One of them is assigned to my queen: it seems that assigning war dogs will also assign any war animal.
Pages: 1 ... 1010 1011 [1012] 1013 1014 ... 3842