Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125987 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14670 on: July 19, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »

So I had forgotten the sheer number of "Criminals" I had and assigned a captain of the guard, luckily he only killed 3-4 people, but already I have dwarves going insane, is there some level of friendship that makes them more or less instantly go melancholy?

Not specifically, to the best of my knowledge. That said, I would check the relationship screen of the insane dwarves- likely the Captain of the Guard killed your most popular dwarves first, and a few dead BFF's is enough to send most dwarves over the edge without super happy thoughts to counteract.

Also, I laughed that it only took an hour for your understanding of the military screen to lead to new and exciting disasters. Bravo.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: July 19, 2011, 03:22:01 pm »

Hah, yeah, That's the way it goes. As spirals go it was an incredibly small one, I think I  killed one of the dwarves like, secret john or something. the guy who went insane was married, and had the same relationship status with the guy as the wife and half the fort, but only he went insane with grief.

Went downhill fast too. Tantrumed 2-3 times for about a second before calming down, then snapped.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: July 19, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »

Oh, I had so much FUN today...
It started with a metalcrafter getting a mood. That's great, you say? Well, I'm in a metamorphic area, it seems. I don't fucking HAVE METAL. But wait! I had breached into the magma sea just a bit before! I could use ADAMANTINE on the artifact! YAY! Of course, the adamantine is like 20 squares away, and I was creating a bed chamber at the time. Sigh... I blocked off my bed chamber designation so as not to lose ALL my work, and dug it. But WAIT! I didn't have a metal industry set up! So now it's a race to set up an entire metal industry and make a wafer so I don't lose a dwarf to insanity. But I could manage.
AND THEN THE OGRES ATTACKED!
I, of course, had no prepared military. You know, not having metal and all that. I sorta ordered everyone to dogpile on them. It, to my surprise, worked.
BUT WAIT! What if I ordered the furnace operator I told to go smelt a wafer to run and kill a dwarf? Luckily, I didn't. He still wouldn't go near the ogre, but I killed it eventually. It would have worked better if I knew how to get my axedwarf to, you know, actually keep his axe with her when she needs it, but whatever. I didn't lose anyone important. Except my two medical dwarves. Sigh...
The dwarf is making his artifact now, and maybe eventually a doctor will come. Until then, I've got a peasant playing amateur surgeon. I've got to restructure my military, and make weapons for them to train with. Made of adamantine.
I guess I'll wait for the dwarvern caravan to make maces and hammers then.
The best part is how the humans arrived between me killing the first and second ogres. That must have been an odd sound. Hee hee...
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: July 19, 2011, 05:27:53 pm »

And so comes an end of Melbilonshen, a 25 years old fort in 40d.

From 210 dwarves to 2 in just 30 minutes of the most extreme tantrum bloodspiral I ever saw. Children exploding against walls, supersoldiers on rampage, relatives pucnhing each other to death, random insane dwarves jumping into bottomless chasm. Dining room, all of it - I mean ALL THE TILES - covered in red '2's that are chopped off body parts. Blood and corpses everywhere.

At the time of abandon, there were 2 survivors, well 6 if you include 4 dwarves on verge of death from injuries.

That pair of survivors were: some legendary farmer moping around some remote meeting place, and a crossbowdwarf who missed all the Fun(tm) while holding to his duty in a watchtower. He had no friends and thus was 'quite content' all the time. Hell it went to ecstatic when he took a break to drink after hte massacre.

Rest in pieces, Melbilonshen! You were truly a wonderful fort, and I shall remember thee fondly.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:40 pm »

*claps*

May I ask how all the carnage started Haspen?

So, finally after 20 years I get a weaponsmith mood. It was one I planned after I saw that he liked short swords. I was all "Yay!", moreso when I saw he wanted 6 items which meant I'd probably get some awesome image crafted onto it. He completes it, a short sword as I expected and went to see its decorations. Cue facepalm...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:19:41 pm by BloodBeard »

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: July 19, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »

HOLD THE PHONE.

So I embarked on multiple biomes and I have a nice 5-Z waterfall in my area. Now it's winter and part of the stream is freezing... except for the waterfall. It's frozen further down but the waterfall keeps dumping water into the crevice, creating a giant wall of ice.

There HAS to be a way to weaponize this.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: July 19, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »

*claps*

May I ask how all the carnage started Haspen?

So, finally after 20 years I get a weaponsmith mood. It was one I planned after I saw that he liked short swords. I was all "Yay!", moreso when I saw he wanted 6 items which meant I'd probably get some awesome image crafted onto it. He completes it, a short sword as I expected and went to see its decorations. Que facepalm...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly, this weapon has been forged to avenge the grievous insult depicted thereupon and restore Dwarven honor by slaughtering as many Elves as possible.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: July 19, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »

HOLD THE PHONE.

So I embarked on multiple biomes and I have a nice 5-Z waterfall in my area. Now it's winter and part of the stream is freezing... except for the waterfall. It's frozen further down but the waterfall keeps dumping water into the crevice, creating a giant wall of ice.

There HAS to be a way to weaponize this.

Sounds awesome. Pics?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: July 19, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »

My only fisherman (who's quite skilled and effective) is on the brink of a tantrum. I JUST NOW figured out that he's 'very unhappy'. The only house I have is for my town leader. I have NO other rooms and I have a two-level aquifer, so I can't make more houses until I get either more trees hacked down (I have no elven neighbors) or snatch all the goods from my trade depot by forbidding it, hopefully finding a stone amongst the loot to make a kiln to gather fire clay to make bricks for my peoples.

Although trees can grow back, it takes about a game year to do so, whereas clay is there infinitely. So, clay is a more viable option for building materials.

Since I have no elven neighbors, I hope to find another stone to make a wood furnace to both a) Give my people happy thoughts, b) To make charcoal fuel for my kiln to make bricks and c) To make ash, to make ash glaze (one of my immigrants from a while ago had a preferance for ash glaze) to glaze my silty clay and to give my ash-glaze liking migrant happy thoughts.

How do I fix the unhappy fisherman!?!?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: July 19, 2011, 08:52:14 pm »

My military got their asses handed to them this year. I've lost most of my forces, twice. I've barely got 3-4 legendary troops left and I would have zero if Armok didn't interfere and make them all prone_to_rage:100, swims_innate, and Speed:0. Still lost a few other troops.
I know I'm only a novice military tactician, but given that they're so well armed and equipped I would have expected better. The only major advantages the enemy has are their shear size, their weapons which are made to appeal to the destructive force of such massive creatures, and the fact that they have access to mithril, which is superior to steel. I have truesilver veins everywhere, but they don't contain mithril clusters.
The marksmen are the worst-trained of my soldiers. Of the three survivors in that squad, none have any decent skill with their weapons at range.
Never set up a training program for them...

Suppose I should be glad I've been able to keep the kill/death ratio a positive number.

The rest of the goings-on of this fort have been positive, i suppose. One metalcrafter decided to waltz around to the sealed front entrance to clean blood left from someone's pet, and got himself murdered by the troll swordsmen still hanging out there. With three legendary engravers I have had no shortages of masterful engravings of a bronze colossus, Aquilibe Violentprinces the Slaughter of Flying killing Ozedenam Tubmushroom the paklara (a sort of flightless humanoid bird) Although ironic, it's literally the only historical event that went on in my region, besides various creatures wandering around.

Also, my gem crab creatures always spawn in the magma sea and instantly burn to death. The units list is full of them. Never figured out how to fix that...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: July 19, 2011, 08:56:28 pm »

Also, my gem crab creatures always spawn in the magma sea and instantly burn to death. The units list is full of them. Never figured out how to fix that...
Make them immune to magma or change what cavern layers they appear on. IIRC '4' is the magma sea.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: July 19, 2011, 09:21:53 pm »

Well yes, but I tried to change their ignition, melting, and boiling points on all materials to prevent damage, same as dragons, and made them fireimmune, which didn't work. They use clear diamond for all tissue layers. I'm considering actually changing the layers they appear in but I want them to appear in the magma sea.

I suppose I should be glad that magma crab was finally killed. So many interrupted forging jobs, not to mention killing one of my prized mushroom men. :P

My militia men are all wandering around with their compound fractures passing out from pain. Someone needs to invent dwarven ibuprofen. Or I can have them bathed in numbing poison of some kind. Probably not worth the investment; they can put up with it until the pain dies down.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:34:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: July 19, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »

That pair of survivors were: some legendary farmer moping around some remote meeting place, and a crossbowdwarf who missed all the Fun(tm) while holding to his duty in a watchtower. He had no friends and thus was 'quite content' all the time. Hell it went to ecstatic when he took a break to drink after hte massacre.

I'm imagining this antisocial introverted marksdwarf, walking through the carnage, oblivious, maybe stepping on a skull and crunching it, taking a big swig, sighing contentedly, and saying, "Ah, peace and quiet at last."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: July 19, 2011, 09:32:46 pm »

Well yes, but I tried to change their ignition, melting, and boiling points on all materials to prevent damage, same as dragons, and made them fireimmune, which didn't work. They use clear diamond for all tissue layers. I'm considering actually changing the layers they appear in but I want them to appear in the magma sea.

I suppose I should be glad that magma crab was finally killed. So many interrupted forging jobs, not to mention killing one of my prized mushroom men. :P
This isn't the forum for it, but Dragons are immune to magma because of a special fireimmune tag.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: July 19, 2011, 09:44:55 pm »

!!dwarven crabs!!
This isn't the forum for it, but Dragons are immune to magma because of a special fireimmune tag.
Yes, I used THAT one. And dragons have all their body materials' ignition, boiling, and melting points jacked up to well over twice the temperature of magma. The blasted crabs do too. I get errors in the errorlog telling me those tags aren't creature tokens for whatever reason, yet it's all done correctly in the sense that the game is directed to apply those to the materials making up the creature, not the creature itself.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 3842