Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125975 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14685 on: July 19, 2011, 09:50:11 pm »

Did you try copying and pasting the relevant tags directly from the dragon? And did you remember to put a select caste all before it if it had just finished defining caste stuff?

Other than that, since they are dying in the magma sea, do they have the no breathe tag?  I think that's necessary to survive in the magma sea.  the water based ones don't cut it for magma.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: July 19, 2011, 10:22:53 pm »

In my latest world, I have found a stack of awesome sites. A nice major river with clay, soil, shallow and deep metals and even flux stone. (Also, no aquifer. My computer has a habit of going spastic with aquifers and placing them everywhere)

Yet every single one of them was taken by an Elven civilisation.

It's really bizarre; the Elves have taken to building their cities on the plains, in badlands, I think there's even one in the tundra. It's like they have a Dwarven king.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: July 19, 2011, 10:27:06 pm »

Did you try copying and pasting the relevant tags directly from the dragon? And did you remember to put a select caste all before it if it had just finished defining caste stuff?

Other than that, since they are dying in the magma sea, do they have the no breathe tag?  I think that's necessary to survive in the magma sea.  the water based ones don't cut it for magma.
Actually yes, I have done all of this. Except that I used the tags specifically for materials, not the ones for creatures, where I had thought they were the right ones, and the only ones. I feel like an idiot.
the crab instantly bursts into flame in contact with magma, causing them to burn to death some time afterwards. They also drop not just a rough clear diamond when they die, but a !!rough clear diamond!! :o
I look forward to digging around in the magma sea and finding a hundred or so such burning diamonds :P
They appear in the third cavern layer and the HFS as well, actually.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:30:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: July 19, 2011, 11:42:56 pm »

A couple of hours ago on my first living fort the elven caravan arrived to my depot, and i wasnt expecting anything good, but i noticed that they have all sorts of above ground plants that i would love to make into booze. I traded a large bin of gems but i ended up pisssing the hippies off because my bin was made of wood. I really wanted those seeds. as they were leaving, i pulled the lever to my bridge, sending everyone and everything plummeting down 15 z levels. The strawberries I grew were delicious >:D
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: July 20, 2011, 12:54:47 am »

Year 11 of Praisedrazors just rolled around and a giant capybara, who I had stationed by the main entrance since the very first elven caravan brought him here, just died of old age. He had a higher kill count than anything else in my fortress (sacrificial pits not included) except for the very first member of the military. He will be missed, my only regret is that we were never able to find a mate for him to pass on his badass genes.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: July 20, 2011, 01:08:52 am »

HOLD THE PHONE.

So I embarked on multiple biomes and I have a nice 5-Z waterfall in my area. Now it's winter and part of the stream is freezing... except for the waterfall. It's frozen further down but the waterfall keeps dumping water into the crevice, creating a giant wall of ice.

There HAS to be a way to weaponize this.

It's already weaponized.  It'll murder your FPS every spring.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: July 20, 2011, 01:24:18 am »

HOLD THE PHONE.

So I embarked on multiple biomes and I have a nice 5-Z waterfall in my area. Now it's winter and part of the stream is freezing... except for the waterfall. It's frozen further down but the waterfall keeps dumping water into the crevice, creating a giant wall of ice.

There HAS to be a way to weaponize this.

I would chain up POWs on top of it (naked, of course), then watch them all drown when it melts, or when they get encased in ice.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: July 20, 2011, 01:58:32 am »

So, I decided to embark to a place with a salt water ocean. I brought along a fisherdwarf, assuming that he would fish from the ocean, but aquatic life seems to be null and void in this particular ocean. Now my fisherdwarf is a hauler.

However, I did strike native gold pretty early on, and a few gold crafts later, I bought all the food, ale, cloth, and thread in the dwarf caravan that came to my fort.

I'm going to smelt up the rest of the gold, then move on to all the galena that I mined out. I'll see how good a full squad of silver warhammer wielding maniacs is.

DFProspector said I have hematite and magnetite on my embark, but from what I saw, all the hematite is near the ocean, and I have not bothered to get it yet.

As for caverns, I hit the first layer, hoping to find some water, but alas, no such luck. Perhaps the second cavern layer will give me some water.

Also, I was digging out a space for my finished goods stockpile, when I hit the aquifer. Now I have an odd shaped stockpile. Thank Armok for bins.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: July 20, 2011, 03:13:53 am »

Importing platinum, gold, silver, electrum, rose gold, black bronze, and the three pewters. Building a Hall of Splendor. 4 z levels tall, thirty tiles wide, two hundred tiles long. Going to be making granite supports underneath metal statues. We are MountainRubbed, dwarfs of dwarfs, look upon our works, ye elves, and tantrum.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: July 20, 2011, 04:58:27 am »

*claps*

May I ask how all the carnage started Haspen?

Superpopular mayor and 3 of her 16 kids shot to death by ill-timed goblin ambush when the mayor was out in desert to grab some old sock or something and her kids obviously followed after her. The greenskins got pulverized but the tantrum nuclear reaction already started and there was nothing else than watch.

Which was amusing :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: July 20, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »

Fuck... I don't think I could picture a more cliche reason for a tantrum spiral  :P. Collection of randomly discarded clothing is probably the number one cause of death for my dwarves.

Neways, I knew these were going to be hella powerful but DAMN...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Was an enormous beakless harrier.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:06:51 pm by BloodBeard »

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: July 20, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »

Did one of your dorfs make that or was it upright?
[Signature]

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: July 20, 2011, 04:47:35 pm »

Did one of your dorfs make that or was it upright?

Crafted.

The sad thing is he isn't even my best swordsdwarf, he got his ass kicked in my dwarf vs dwarf tournament. The winning swordsdwarf has double the amount of kills my #2 slayer has and has had the most yearly kills 11 years out of 20. I give my dwarves equal opportunity to rack up their goblin kills but he just seems to dominate in everything. Being legendary in nearly every combat related skill helps I suppose. (no danger rooms)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: July 20, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »

Our outpost liaison just took a plunge into the magma sea to... evaluate the magmatic quality of the fort. It would have been wise not to follow the Count/miner around while he was hunting for the blood of the earth.

In other news, this site has nothing but tetrahedrite as ores. At least I can lean back and nap with the dragon in the hallway.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: July 20, 2011, 05:04:46 pm »

I feel like an idiot.
Happens to the best.  Whenever I get something not working the way it should I often copy all of the relevant tags from a creature that I know works,(thus the try the dragon suggestion) test it with those tags unchanged first, and then work my modifications backwards a few at a time from there.  More often than not it works fine after I made all my changes.  And if it doesn't you know exactly what change caused it to stop working.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 3842