Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125604 times)

eLeC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14565 on: July 14, 2011, 05:14:35 am »

I  have founded magma pipe only 100 z-levels under my fort. I'm going to pump it 20 levels higher and cave-in it then. Awesome.
Also, I get 2 legendary hunters.

Sanguine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: July 14, 2011, 06:29:09 am »

Some kind of insane civil war triggered by a couple of goblin ambushes and one dude with PTSD...
Once liquids are implemented properly, you could set up a mandatory test involving potential military dwarves swim through a sea of blood on their way through the testing.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: July 14, 2011, 07:38:35 am »

When excavating some livingspace yesterday, we discovered we are actually living in the second caverns.
We forbade the hunters from carrying bolts and drafted them into permanent guard duty.
wasting metal bolts on zombie groundhogs....
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: July 14, 2011, 10:05:29 am »

it all started with the giant badgers, thats when i knew this beautiful embark spot would go badly. it had a waterfall inside of a sheer cliff, with all the rest as flat, tree and bush filled land with a few ponds and a brook overhead. then it was the first caravan that left because i had tried bartering with them, trying to buy 1000 dwarf bucks of good for 1500 dwarf bucks. they got angry and left. then there was the dwarf that died to the badger, then the goblin theif that showed up mid way through the second year.

then the second caravan came. i had 3 military dwarfs, the entrance bristled with traps. then there was an ambush. the fortress wasnt two years old and a full squad ambush came. they ran for the entrance, and before they did a fleet of badgers came rushing in and sprung all the cage traps, spare one. that the leader got caught in. the squad refused to leave him. my military dwarfs lasted about 30 seconds before 1 was dead and the others were running away flashing. then i got another full squad ambush, and then 5 thieves in a row.

after that the game decided to crash. i hadn't saved. zomg.

Earth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: July 14, 2011, 02:03:13 pm »

Just had my squad of 4 macedwarves and milita commander take out a forgotten beast, used the bones to decorate the baron's throne and the leather to make cloaks. 5 dwarves managed to take out a copper feathered, three tailed wirn(sp?) good stuff. So much for forgotten beasts.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: July 14, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »

GOBLIN AMBUSH!!!

Took out 3 of my dwarves (all of them useless, thank goodness) and started some minor tantruming.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Picture taken on the ROOF of my watchtower.  That limb got some sick airtime.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14571 on: July 14, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »

My count died of infection because I modded bones to have a heal time of 0 :(
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: July 14, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »

I've developed a rotating system of drawbridges, traps, ballistae.... it eats sieges up.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: July 14, 2011, 06:40:47 pm »

The dwarven caravan just left... sloshing through the 2 and 3 deep water in the the river bed I'm draining so I can get at the remains of the drowned goblin siege 4 years ago. The crazy thing is, that river reaches the ocean very soon after, and I rather suspect there are no convenient ramps out of it.

Before that, there was a crossgobbo ambush that took the life of the outpost liason before he could gain the safety of the fortress perimiter. (also my wax crafter, but that wasn't really important to the fort)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:43:01 pm by lazygun »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: July 14, 2011, 07:06:40 pm »

My new trap hallway single handedly took out an entire siege. My fort, ectocraft, has naturally ocurring defences with a wall to seal it off. I built the hallway partway through the entrance and put doors there, with alternating rows of cage and weapon traps. They work well as I had a legendary mechanic fairly early.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: July 14, 2011, 07:14:59 pm »

I've been experimenting with duplicated raws, trying to make a really weird world that is still playable. My latest fort is populated by elves wearing clothes made out of seeds and bird teeth.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:04 pm »

My three war jaguars are still violently attacking this blizzard man, who I don't think has ever woken up from his state of over-exertion and unconsciousness. Meanwhile, my 4 military elves (set in squads of 2) are sparring like mad while the rest of my elves work to set up dense thicket walls.

I'm a bit worried we're going to run out of supplies soon, since there's no way to dig to the caverns for water, there's no way to farm here, and we're bound to run out bonobo child meat eventually.

EDIT: Looks like I might be at war with the humans now. Their merchants knew the Friendly Lovers of the Cold Forest were starving, they should have brought more food if they didn't want to be eaten.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:21:44 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:26 pm »

Just had our human caravan for year three depart, happy with their metric tons of masterful rock crafts. I've had a guy in a Craftdwarf's shop making those as soon as we carved into stone, and he's never stopped. For three years. His crafts basically reduce mortals to ash through radiating their pure awesomeness. It's a good feeling to actually be able to buy stuff from caravans.

We also just had our fourth strange mood. I was worried; even though it was a nobody, I never like to see my Dorfs die if I can help it. Nothing like the feeling of tension as you rush to exhaust every option, all the while wondering when he's going to snap... do you need to wall off the workshop to protect the Fortress? Or will that prevent him from gathering his ingredients and, through overcaution, sentence him to a horrible death?

{The third mood, second successful one, ended up with a wooden ring encrusted with fancy stones and carved with images of the founding of our Fortress. The Dwarves are working.  :) )

[[I'm left hoping that some engraver decides to depict the best incident of Anusdimple's existence so far, when a Peasant-Recruit punched the brains out of a marauding Titan.]]

How patriotic!  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:06:07 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:32 pm »

I just figured out that I can make goblin walls by building goblin cages then pouring water over them with a bucket brigade to create ice walls.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:55 pm »

I suggest that you don't put that table anywhere near anything that can ever be set on fire. Ever. If you ignite it, it'll burn indefinitely, and chances are, dwarves will still try to eat at it.

...Wait a minute, that's an excellent idea, if restricted to a noble. Do so immediately.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 3842