Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6114475 times)

oracleoftroy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13740 on: June 02, 2011, 01:26:59 am »

I was just looking over my dwarfs with legendary skills in Therapist, which I though was quite interesting.

As for professions with the most dwarfs at legendary:

Third place: (tie) Weaponsmithing/Diagnosis (3)
Second place: (tie) Woodcrafting (stupid moods)/Crutch walkers (4)
First place: Surgery (5)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13741 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:36 am »

I got a migrant with the name Cosmosswords.  Naturally, I assigned him a sword and sent him off to the barracks.
A little while later, my militia commander went melancholy.  I started looking through my soldiers, to pick a suitable replacement, and noticed that Cosmo was dual wielding a sword and a whip.  I like the way this guy thinks.  Despite his inexperience, he is now the militia commander for an entire fortress.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13742 on: June 02, 2011, 02:39:34 am »

Fortunebog! Flat, hot, and has a brook.

This one's built around a center sacrificial tower for prisoners of war and kittens. Made out of kaolinite because it's red and also the central dropshaft pierced the heart of a blob of it.

I have hematite - wewt - so when I feel like it I'll head for the magma sea. No coal minerals, but I have plenty of trees.

Probably going to build a pyramid with the top of the sacrifice tower as its tip. Might designate the walls so that it would look like blood pouring down a white pyramid, my total rock salt and kaolinite combined will probably be enough for a pyramid.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13743 on: June 02, 2011, 06:13:15 am »

Elves brought Giant Jaguars, 2 females and a male : Giant Jaguar breeding program intiated - we'll see how Snatchers like meeting those tied up at the gates...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13744 on: June 02, 2011, 06:20:02 am »

Nationbridge is going about as well as can be expected for any fortress of mine... :P
Seriously though, no-one else has died apart from the suicidal hunter, I have a decent-sized dormitory in my tower, and plan to build some rooms pretty soon... But the main thing is, I'm about to start MAKING METAL! :D
Finally! For the first time for any of my forts, I have stuff to make metal from! Yay!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13745 on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:27 am »

Thing is though that my MCap no longer shows 'melted' as wound in her z-enter screen but her Right Hand fat is gone. I hope she, Iden Dallithustuth and Adil Fikodatul survive their wounds. :(

Good news, everyone! MCap is no longer pale but faint, no longer severe blood loss. Adil the huntress has no wound on her screen at all any more except that her lower body is listed as being brown in the Wounds screen. Ergo; both of those will survive, horray.

None of my dwarves ever survive Pale. :(
Most of mine tend not to either, but it seems possible if their wounds stabilize. :D I admit I was quite a bit worried about the Captain, though.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13746 on: June 02, 2011, 08:48:30 am »

Rather depends on their healing stat, whether they come round before they bleed out internally or whatever is actually happening.

Im having a quiet year.  My FD waves all popped together in the spring with swarms of fury bowmen failing to path as usual.  I finally got pissed off and removed their flier tag.  Curious how their squad leaders always seem to be airborne....quite a few broken ankles there.  Once everything else had run the trap corridors I swept up the last KO'd furies and after a 3 month dump/clean I had the res of the year to myself.

Late summer now and praying I get a caravan this year, havent seen one for..probably 4 years.

Incidentaly I meet all the requirements for a king...or so I thought.  Do you have to be promoted all the way up to duchy before he comes?
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13747 on: June 02, 2011, 09:02:13 am »

@Celem, makes sense.
I got a migrant with the name Cosmosswords.  Naturally, I assigned him a sword and sent him off to the barracks.
I have someone named Lorbam Atekdastot; Boredswords. So naturally I assigned her a sword as well. (In fact she even likes short swords) and she's also living up to the 'bored' part. A doe rabbit 'attacked her' by making an angry face or something and she jumped away and charged it, she made short work of the doe rabbit but hey, it attacked her. A bit later, I was having the squad march over the surface a bit she waddles off to her room for rest. On the way there she viciously savages a camel for no reason at all except that she, presumably, was bored.

Edit; Sweet Armok almighty; a while after the first flame FB Icmi  another flame FB came; Nunore. Instead of a tail this one had a shell. And it swam through an underground lake causing my fps to die for a bit. But it's dead too now. This one melted two marxdwarfs rather painfully; I think the one who killed Nunore isn't going to survive his wounds. :(

Edit 2;  Alas, Tobul Wiregulf, slayer of the foul beast, has succumbed to his (or her) wounds.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:23:42 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13748 on: June 02, 2011, 11:14:23 am »

'Tis the fifth of Granite indeed.

Two births today from separate parents, both girls. They'll be the fortress' very own annoying little girls.

Although the trade caravans have been here for well over a month I still can't shake the feeling there are ambushes waiting outside our gates. Everything's gone well thus far though. A few thieves spotted, that's all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13749 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:27 am »

Working on a Lava/Ice Reactor on my polar ocean, complete with Icefarm to replace the shed ice that will fuel my fortress' defenses, as well as provide safe drinking water to my dwarves.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13750 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:43 am »

Having a miner dig a 1x1 shaft down into the depths of the world, to sacrifice prisoners to Armok. I think he's going to starve to death before he finishes though... It's a long way down and he's going pretty slow.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13751 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:04 pm »

This pretty much sums it up:

A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13752 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:55 pm »

Expanded the archery range.  I think my berserk champion took her baby into combat, and also got wounded.  Hence the tantrum.

Someone is feeding the late Countesses baby.  He's crawling around outside the apartment, contently playing amoungst the boulders.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13753 on: June 02, 2011, 12:34:47 pm »

This pretty much sums it up:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quite an eventful season, isn't it? :P
I make Spellcrafts!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13754 on: June 02, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »

@Calem - no you don't need a duchy. I've had a king + barony before. Most likely you're missing the value of roads? Also the "offerings" are not trade - but a separate type of offering. If you got those, then it's probably just a wait game.

@Turkey XIII - cheese can melt? AWESOME! melted-cheese-filled floors is now in the future of dwarfy projects.

Ast, my singular guard is getting some awesome training right now without a danger room. Since my tower of dropping goblins and not killing them right off, I placed his training room on the same floor. Now they fall, break half the bones in their bodies, and instantly get shot repeatedly by a mediocre marksdwarf. If they move, they'll also get hit by mediocre traps filled with iron, silver, and copper weapons of their comrades. man... If I were these goblins I'd cease to ambush this fort. it'd be siege or give up. And really - I didn't start this war, so why would continue?

btw, fps is lower than before not because of all the crap I haven't destroyed yet. It's because of the ambushers walking around unseen I'm pretty sure. The elves revealed a lot, I captured them in cages, and fps was up for a few dwarf months.

but yeah... goblins in traps are cluttering my fort all over the place. I can't kill them fast enough.

EDIT: one month later - got a siege. Of goblins? of course not, humans. bah... stupid humans.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:44:30 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 3842