Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112404 times)

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12735 on: April 19, 2011, 09:14:59 am »

I embarked on a glacier, because I want to build a gigantic fortress out of ice. The terrain is positively flat, and my dwarves land next to a polar bear. Who run toward them (probably attracted by the booze). I send half of my dwarves to drive him away and he KILLS one of them, then proceed to chase the others. Eventually he get put down (and butchered and tanned and processed). I have one dead dwarf and two very unhappy dwarves with one tantrumming a lot. Woohoo, never had such a rough start before !

As an aside, the unhappy dwarf is spending his time "attending meetings" with the expedition leader (who fortunately didn't die) ; why ? what the hell are they doing ?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12736 on: April 19, 2011, 09:16:05 am »

the expedition leader is either getting yelled at or is consoling the sad one.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12737 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:55 am »

Someone mentioned massive out-of-control fires last page, and I just thought I'd mention-
A couple of ingame years ago my fort, Koshid, which is partly above-ground, was horribly damaged by a massive fire that broke out in the forge, killing a few of my dwarves and damaging artifacts.
Anyway, I noticed much later, that JUST as the flames were spreading across the map, one of my old enemies, the goblin snatcher who had stolen one of my fort's first babies, had been sneaking in.
I found his engraved silver dagger lying in a pile of ashes by the river. :D Awesome!
Also, I still have a !!XXTame live roachXX!! listed in my animals screen from that incident, for some reason. :P

In more recent news, the massive goblin siege has been broken, unfortunately by a combined attack of two very-deadly forgotten beasts, one a giant teal-coloured finch with a horrible paralysing syndrome and the other a sardonyx (?) quadruped, with very nasty kicking-skills. They slaughtered the goblins, at least.
And I got rid of the one remaining straggler, a goblin maceman riding an olm outside my front gate.

Annoyingly, my greatest warrior, Beryl, had his arm apparently TORN OFF by a ghost. WTF?! Damnit.
But, this being Beryl, The Held Odor or whatever, he simply strapped his shield onto his axe-arm and got on with killing shit. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12738 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:04 am »

project Eternal water has claimed thus far three legendary diggers life, but it proceeds smoothly...i'm also encarving each section while i'm doing it. and encrusting the pipes in gems.
when it will be done...enemies will fall to the acquifers drowning power! (and through floodgate, i'll claim their corpse and items...mwhauhua) pps(at least i hope)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12739 on: April 19, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »

Just had my first goblin ambush on my pacifist fort.  I have no military.  Instead, I am relying on traps and war dogs.  Unfortunately, I only had a series of stone-fall traps set up around my entrance hall.  Fortunately, the human caravan was there to bail me out.

I am looking for Magma.  I am on the bottom Z-level, (version 40d), and can't find the pipe anywhere.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12740 on: April 19, 2011, 12:54:33 pm »

I am looking for Magma.  I am on the bottom Z-level, (version 40d), and can't find the pipe anywhere.

Are you sure it said magma pipe? It might be magma pool, which doesn't connects to the bottom.

Also, 10x10 line search grid is your friend when looking for magma.

In my 40d fort, well... Queen is here, Prison got running and from 35 sentenced dwarf only 5 died, which I call a success.

Most of megabeasts dead, militaristic ramble gets proper soldiery equipment, chasm veins and gems dug out...

Time to make FUN on my own, it seems. Especially that the river source is located higher than my fortress~
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12741 on: April 19, 2011, 01:18:33 pm »

So I'm in the middle of a "siege", which is not so much a siege as it is a bunch of goblins blindly charging into my cage traps and giving me free equipment. 

I'm trying to find a way to make the siege end without releasing the goblin cages, as I have plans for them. 

Also, my mayor created an export ban on adamantine goods.  I couldn't have picked a better mayor.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12742 on: April 19, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »

Also, my mayor created an export ban on adamantine goods.  I couldn't have picked a better mayor.

Until he mandates adamantine items.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12743 on: April 19, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »

Until he mandates adamantine items.

or even worse adamantine mechanisms
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12744 on: April 19, 2011, 02:21:58 pm »

Well, the artifact weapon didn't get quite to the point of Planepacked, mostly because that weaponsmith got my entire supply of adamantine, but...

Dobar Sebshos, The Creation of Miring, an adamantine hand axe worth 302,691,600 Urists. There are twenty pages worth of decorations and engravings.

But... It's a bloody hand axe, possibly one of the least useful weapons available. Even a dagger would have been better. Oh well, legendary weapon trap in the dining hall coming right up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12745 on: April 19, 2011, 02:35:58 pm »

My possessed armor smith is being followed closely by both of the fortress' ghosts. I'd say they're using him as a medium to beg for proper burial. :P

A rose gold shoe. I guess this goes with the other armorer's platinum high boot. Worth 54.48k, encircled with bands of rose gold, spikes of woody wyvern bone, and with an image of the boot on it in pyrite. I guess the ghosts just wanted to express their tacky fashion sense...

Oh goody. This has prompted an animal trainer to come back from the dead to attempt to express HIS poor artistic ability.
It would be nice if there was a ghost that would randomly engrave a section of wall or floor... with cheese. They miss the cheese.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:44:24 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12746 on: April 19, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »

My macro compiler is working!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12747 on: April 19, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »

busting through the aquifer
OMG SO MUCH WOOD
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12748 on: April 19, 2011, 03:04:43 pm »

Man, how goddamn long does this siege last?  Do I need to kill every last invader before they'll let me have trade caravans again?

I'm sitting on a goddamn ton of livestock that keeps pumping out MORE livestock and butchering them isn't fast enough.  On the plus side, unlimited food.

Also, I need to figure out a way to get kobold eggs.  If only because I get great pleasure from wanton forced abortion.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12749 on: April 19, 2011, 03:26:08 pm »

Dead or fleeing (or, I think, maybe caged), the invaders have to be gone before the siege is considered lifted. Can be awkward if you have enemies trapped someplace inaccessible.
Pages: 1 ... 848 849 [850] 851 852 ... 3842