Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112159 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12705 on: April 17, 2011, 07:59:51 pm »

My most recent seige at The Dawn of Bronze was a fun. Badass warrior 'Yolon' is now at 46 notable kills and 44 other kills. He named the bronze short sword Delothorrun "Polishedroar", which itself has 43 notable kills and 40 other kills between two different dwarves. Being bronze gives an awesome parallel to the name of the fortress itself.

That elvish siege lead to the death of my master mason (which sucks), along with some of the sub-warriors I was training up. Apparently the bridge-leaping antics of Yolon during the last siege prepared the elves for bridge-play this time. When the bridge went down, they rushed past my lone god of war and into the fort. The sub-warrior archers shot a few down, and only one of those survived. His name is 'Herlan', and he killed 3 elves while being poorly equipped and trained.

Speaking of the sword though, that updated one of 4 engravings below ground. One was of a weakling dead wrestler, one was of a pre-fort killing of an elf, and one is of the masterful food which funds the entire fort. The last is of the dwarf Actua, which was the first to hold  Polishedroar. Fun times all around.

Oh, I have a baron now as well (they wouldn't take material orders until I accepted, those arm-twisting bastards). That means my herbalist, who wasn't all that useful anymore, is now whining about having nice things and making crossbows. Meh...
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12706 on: April 17, 2011, 08:27:42 pm »

I have a volcano that has it's top level right next to my front door.  :D  An ambush came before I had my magma-fry set up properly, but I'll be ready next year!
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12707 on: April 17, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »

Got a baron, gave him the most awesome rooms in my fort, defeated two goblin ambushes, bought a male and female grizzly bear from the elves, gave the elves a 12,680$ Large Sapphire in hopes of receiving more bears, and started smelting some objects.

Oh, also got a Miller eaten alive by a zombie elk. All in all, a very good day!

And, my baron has imposed a ban on certain exports...twice...grr

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12708 on: April 17, 2011, 09:33:36 pm »

bought a male and female grizzly bear from the elves, gave the elves a 12,680$ Large Sapphire in hopes of receiving more bears,

Hope you like rope reed cloth. It's a traditional token of gratitude of the elves.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12709 on: April 17, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »

Got a baron, gave him the most awesome rooms in my fort, defeated two goblin ambushes, bought a male and female grizzly bear from the elves, gave the elves a 12,680$ Large Sapphire in hopes of receiving more bears, and started smelting some objects.

To get more animals from the elves, give them as little profit as possible, or (ideally) arrange accidents for their caravan so they lose everything. Caravans calculate value on the basis of $/weight unit, and bring you higher valued cargos if they've done well. So your generosity is going to buy you a bunch of -swamp whiskey- and reed cloth.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12710 on: April 17, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the original version, perhaps with a dwarf being launched by a raising bridge.
"flight into the Beak of Lines"

I like to imagine its a dwarf being bodily launched into enemy lines during some battle.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12711 on: April 17, 2011, 10:58:58 pm »

Before my first caravan, a migrant child creates a granite toy axe worth 28k dorfbux. Meanwhile, my smithy is busy melting down the steel arrows I embarked with.
This will be a good fortress.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12712 on: April 17, 2011, 10:59:51 pm »

Various dwarves cancel Clean: Dangerous terrain x10000

And here I thought sticking a paved road on the squares below my mist generator hadn't worked in my last fort.

(i don't care, i'm just trying to see if my modded civ will trade with me given the fixes some guy suggested)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12713 on: April 18, 2011, 12:10:20 am »

i find it kind of funny;
i find it kind of sad;
the dwarf that survived the last migrant-starving session,
survived this one as well,
and then went mad.

The end.

That damn artifact-kid once again claims ALL of one of the dead's clothing.
I still have pools of whisp ale all over the ground by my door, and the whisp ale pools in the depot are beginning to multiply exponentially. Why on earth are "frozen whisp ale" wooden items valid? It's liquid at room temperature, and has absolutely nothing to do with wood besides being a plant product.
The dwarven trader accepted a deal with a 7* profit margin. This guy's even dumber than the human trader was! :P
Little does he realize I bought absolutely everything that interested me in his stock. Maybe they have a shortage of mechanisms that they're unwilling to pay me extra for.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12714 on: April 18, 2011, 12:40:04 am »

Nobility... I tried to avoid it... but it's now annoying the hell out of me. Our humble fort of ~ 20 dwarves with little sanctity for life only became a barony because the mountain homes wouldn't trade otherwise. Hey,  I'm stockpiling metal and weapons here, and you won't even take an order for them? 3 years of this back-handed crap? alright, I'm a barony.

My herbalist, with her new found love for nobility, starts whining that she wants fancy rooms. OK, we have some stone blocks to spare, why the hell not.

Then you promote her, and she says that her room... the ONLY room in this set of walls, is no longer good enough. While we're at it, her fancy tomb, dining room, and office aren't good enough either, and the farms, which is where the bulk of the forts value comes from, isn't good enough either - now she want ABOVE ground crops, and then wants things made from them. rope reed? we're at war with the elves! we don't grow freaking rope reed.

I think we'll ignore her for now, but if this becomes a problem she might be locked in her room indefinately.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12715 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:16 am »

I just had my first tantrum spiral. Well, I wouldn't call it a spiral really, since the fort survived largely intact, but I've never had so many dwarves tantrum at once.

My fortress, Palebell, had preliminary defenses up. The walls were complete, and bridges done and linked to levers. However, I had no traps and my military was unarmed and had no armor. Thus, I had nothing in the way of early-warning systems, and a small squad of goblin macemen were able to sneak into the fortress.

They started to wreak havoc once spotted, and all I could do was send my 16 or so wrestlers at them. I had numbers on my side as well as a swarm of biting dogs and human caravan guards, but the goblins were able to take out several of my soldiers and severely wound many others. After all was said and done, a dozen or so dwarves were dead outright, a handful of them died of their wounds soon after, and many dwarves came into my hastily-constructed hospital with varying degrees of injury.

It took me a while to get all the dead buried, having no coffins built before the attack. My dwarves also took the loss of their friends and loved ones quite hard. Several dwarves tantrumed -- some furniture was destroyed, a few fights happened, and another few dwarves went insane, but eventually the fortress calmed down. I had about 90 dwarves before the attack, and about 70 when the tantrums stopped.

I erected cage traps outside the bridges in order to provide some defense against goblins able to get that close. Magma forges have just been completed, so I should have my dwarves kitted out in steel before the first siege. At the very least, I can seal the fortress off and shoot at them if they come before I am prepared.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12716 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:30 am »

Before my first caravan, a migrant child creates a granite toy axe worth 28k dorfbux. Meanwhile, my smithy is busy melting down the steel arrows I embarked with.
This will be a good fortress.
And the second artifact for my fortress is an amulet worth 7800. On it is an image of... the previous artifact.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12717 on: April 18, 2011, 02:13:18 am »

I had a scepter called Varnishedgold (or something like that) engraved with... a picture of Varnishedgold the scepter. WTF? The on the picture of the scepter there must be another picture of the scepter, and so on times infinity.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12718 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:02 am »

Cracked up while reading baron's personality
"He starts yelling whenever he is angry. He rarely speaks when he is angry"

I just imagined him screaming gibberish but refusing to speak or pipe down.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12719 on: April 18, 2011, 06:23:33 am »

I had a scepter called Varnishedgold (or something like that) engraved with... a picture of Varnishedgold the scepter. WTF? The on the picture of the scepter there must be another picture of the scepter, and so on times infinity.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 846 847 [848] 849 850 ... 3842