Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112433 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11715 on: March 25, 2011, 12:45:50 pm »

In the first year of Stockadeceilings, a recent migrant got in a scuffle with the most wicked and fearsome of rodents: the HONEY BADGER.

Also, I've hit a motherlode of lignite.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:18:36 pm by bucket »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #11716 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:02 pm »

Started a succession game with 2 friends, allowed the noob to be first one. The Fort is horrible mess. :E
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: March 25, 2011, 12:53:33 pm »

Got an awesome artifact with a good name and price.

The Strong Reputation, a spiked adamantine ball artifact worth 4,933,200* with two images of itself on itself
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: March 25, 2011, 01:32:48 pm »

Started a succession game with 2 friends, allowed the noob to be first one. The Fort is horrible mess. :E

Sounds like lots of digging and construction building to me...
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: March 25, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »

Forgot to leave room to put in floodgates in my 2z deep moat, so I've doubled my order. Slaughtersboulders is subsisting on a steady diet of mussel and whatever I can brew from random plants. For the first time, I have a booming steel industry despite my lack of magma access. I've invested some time in learning how to layer armor for the most effective coverage, and while I was at it I added midnight blue cloaks and hoods to the uniform. My soldiers will be DASHING.

The moat itself is nearly done- mostly I'm waiting for my mechanics and masons to get the floodgates ready so I have a shutoff valve, and I'm also going to use the moatwater to feed the well for my hospital (which will be fully functional, another first.) I'm doing something of an experiment with my fortress- normally I build a spiral ramp shaft straight to the magma, build an emergency mini-fort and expand from there. This time I'm devoting more space to a central open space enclosed by walls, with the plans of having a magma core to the fortress. In theory, if a FB spreads horrible disease everywhere I can shutdown the fortress and magma-purge effected areas by floor, and hopefully by room if I do it right. My biggest challenge thus far is using my limited space in the most effective way possible, since I only have 3 unobstructed non-soil layers to work with, with another 2 that have big chunks taken up by cavern before I hit the bottom of the cavern, where further expansion is limited by water. My original plan was to go every other on used floor space, leaving the extra spaces for magma plumbing, but I don't have the space to sustain it. I'm partly handling the coziness by spreading out more than usual, and I think I'll have to throw up an apartment complex aboveground rather than devote more than a layer to housing.

I nearly forgot about the dwarven caravan, and so only had a few bronze axes to trade them. I traded for blue pig tail fiber cloth, and the Proficient Clothier who likes pig tail fiber cloth and mittens made me enough money to buy out the rest of their cloth, a horse, sand, and some booze. I've placed orders for various metals, sand, and more cloth. Hopefully before the spring I'll have a functional moat, operational hospital, and have a start to getting all my industry off of the surface and safely in the bosom of the earth where it belongs.

I'm sure nobody cares about this, but writing it down helps me plan and think.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: March 25, 2011, 02:14:57 pm »

Goblin bowsquad killed their own general and then got stuck in an AI loop next to his corpse.  So after dealing with the rest of the siege I send out my sword guys and keep my lancers behind to watch the gate for orc ambush squads.

I station them near the bowgoblins to get them to regroup before attacking.  But it is apperantly too close and one rushes off to engage the bow squad by himself.  I immediately order the station to be directly on top of the orc squad, hoping to save the overzealous guy.  But he batting away bolts without a shield and dodging expertly, charges a goblin and takes it out in one swing.

And then fairly anticlimactically he gets his brain somehow shot with a silver arrow.  Despite it being encased in a masterwork helmet.

I order the squad to regroup at a far position again but now they are ignoring that order.  They want to go to my first two stations first and run right by the point I ordered them to regroup at and 3 more get shot down by goblins by charging the squad one at a time.

So I order the fortress guard to watch the gate and send out my lancer squad.  And the moment half of them left the gate an orc ambush shows up.  And since 4 out of the 9 soldiers in my lancer squad are multi-legendary in combat skills the orcs get wasted.  But what the orcs do accomplish is make my lancer squad also charge one at a time.  Seems like the captain of the squad was too far ahead when the orcs appeared and didn't see his squad get bogged down by them behind them, and yet again, charges the goblins solo.  I am facepalming hard at this point.

Fortunately however the lancer captain is no raw recruit.  He's a legendary spear user, legendary armor user, legendary dodger, legendary fighter, with incredible muscles, and toughness through the roof, in full masterwork mithril and steel plate with an artifact lance.  And this time things are much different.

He pulls off some kind of crazy jedi shit against the goblin arrows, dodging or batting away every single one that comes his way for a full 4 salvos only one actually hit him, and that was deflected by his gauntlet. And then he gets to the nearest goblin.  Does he use his lance against it in the charge?  No.  He kicks it.  In the head.  Sending the thing's face through it's brain and propelling it away from the force of the blow.  It flies into another goblin, stunning it just long enough for my captain to finally use his lance and in a single attack stab him through the head, he probably hadn't even touched the ground yet after that flying kick.

That caused the siege flag to disappear.  And despite the combat being only 3 tiles from the edge, the lancer captain managed to kill 3 more before they got away.

I think I know who I'll give this gold sarcophagus the mayor mandated to now.

P.S. One of the swordsmen that survived the fiasco is in the hospital and I noticed he was sutured with cow hair.   cow hair? I never knew the refuse hairs had a use!  Yay usefulness!   Though honestly that probably isn't all that sanitary.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:33:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: March 25, 2011, 02:46:56 pm »

And then fairly anticlimactically he gets his brain somehow shot with a silver arrow.  Despite it being encased in a masterwork helmet.

Arrows and bolts go through anything in vanilla unmodded game, it's a weapon balance bug. It can be somewhat fixed (happens way less often) by reducing the SHOOT_MAXVEL of crossbows and bows (not the arrows and bolts themselves!) from 1000 to 30 in the raws.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:55 pm »

Started up a new fort with SPEED:0 needless dwarves and a reaction to make free orthoclase. I spent the first two seasons building a ultra-secure entrance with a ten-path goblin grinder. "Ultra-secure" here means first the grinders, then an airlock, then my barracks, then another airlock, then separate entrances for traders/migrants and construction, both leading to massive trap halls.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: March 25, 2011, 03:56:16 pm »

Embarking on a untamed wilds desert 1x1 nanofort. The desert even has scarce plants and trees on it.

No aquifer, iron is present, with loads of copper, gold, silver and galena. Also absolute assloads of obsidian. That might have to do with me setting volcanism between 95 and 100

There's a great refilling water lake in the caverns at z-level -13, the cavern is simple, and I have a magma sea at z-level -15. Goodie.

I also can embark with saltwater crocodiles and all sorts of felines and giant felines, as well as rhinos, giraffes, and elephants, like they were domestic. I guess changing PET_EXOTIC to PET and MOUNT_EXOTIC to MOUNT does that.

This is going to be good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: March 25, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »

After downloading some utilities fixes, I genned a new world, and did an embark on a flat-ground site with a volcano and stream. Added some extra embark points for the stone so my exterior structures could be uniformly coloured. This is my first fortress in a while with absolutely no mods, so I guess I'm aiming for more of a survival approach. Welcome to Honestabbeys, my little alcoholic friends. Strike the earth!

Okay, even better than I expected. Only a single wall between the volcano and the outside world, and both it and the stream are right next to my wagon. Three hills on the east side of the map, the west and center are heavily forested with plenty of plants. Also, there is sand, clay, and visible metal in one of the hillsides. No hostile animals whatsoever.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: March 25, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

okay how do you prospect things, every embark i chose has no iron ores and its pissing me off...

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: March 25, 2011, 05:06:36 pm »

Started up a new fort with SPEED:0 needless dwarves and a reaction to make free orthoclase. I spent the first two seasons building a ultra-secure entrance with a ten-path goblin grinder. "Ultra-secure" here means first the grinders, then an airlock, then my barracks, then another airlock, then separate entrances for traders/migrants and construction, both leading to massive trap halls.

I like the way you think. And by "think" I mean "plan goblin murder".

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: March 25, 2011, 05:12:37 pm »

...why would you want orthoclase? i looked it up on wiki and its just one of the many magma safe stones

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: March 25, 2011, 05:16:58 pm »

Maybe he likes yellow.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: March 25, 2011, 05:19:27 pm »

'Tis magma safe and yellow stone goes well with a lot of the more awesome materials (adamantine, rose gold, etc.)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 3842