Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112175 times)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11685 on: March 24, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »

im considering abandonning glovespainted...i've lost pretty much my entire military to the hospital, half of them had already been there for the better part of a year -.-;;

and im thinking that for my next fort, when i make my archery squad, i change the friggin archer's uniform to metal armor instead of leather...my archers got stuck outside in the last siege and they all died

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: March 24, 2011, 03:18:47 pm »

The elves traded me a male and a female tiger.  I gave them a good profit and hoped they would take that as a hint to bring more of the same next year.

Nope. The more profit they get, the higher the value per weight they bring you. Unfortunately that means wooden crap and cloth. Cages are heavy and not high priced so the game thinks they are a "bad" trade good.

Moral: if you want more animals, fuck the elves over to the maximum extent possible. Push their departing caravan into the lava if you have to.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: March 24, 2011, 03:29:52 pm »

I like to build moats.  I think they're cool.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I DO IT, I accidentally channel into the water line for the farm.  Flooding the moat before I'm ready.  Ever. Single. Time.  On rare occasion, I also channel into the fort.  Flooding it as well.  Not as common.

So I had to build a second moat yesterday.  One that works.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: March 24, 2011, 04:07:20 pm »

Magma moats are dwarfier !

Also, I am engraving the whole room part of my fortress.

I've got a particularly good one of the aforementioned forgotten beast. Tizen Kosh, the Trickery of Slaughters !

Not only is the name perfectly fitted for my technique, but the thing is pretty badass

"Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed image of Gakit the forgotten beast and Kib Roastwalls the dwarf by Lorbam Tathtatdegel. Gakit is making a plaintive gesture. Kib Roastwalls is laughing. The artwork related to the mortal wounding of the forgotten beast Gakit by the dwarf Kib Roastwalls with an iron bolt from an iron crossbow in Tradeguard in the midautumn of 51 during the rampage of the forgotten beast Gakit in Tradeguard"

Haha, I also have some of me killing my migrants with dfliquids, or sending a 5-recruit unwanted, unarmed , mostly untrained migrant wave squad against a voracious cave crawler. That killed them all, as I wanted. Visibly voracious cave crawlers can laugh.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: March 24, 2011, 04:15:36 pm »

Magma moats are dwarfier !
That requires me to survive long enough to build magma proof anything.  I can barely avoid flooding my fort when I make my farms!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #11690 on: March 24, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »

I dont know if becoming barony was bugged but I became baron right after changing to new version. Niice. My military is now killing of sieges with poor skilled but goblinite equipped dorfs. No soap spam too, almost too good to be true.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: March 24, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

Just hit a caver at z-level -12ish, the floors at -54.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:18 pm »

So, new release means new fort. I finally gave into the desire to name a fort Sunnydale; I wonder how long I'll last before I breach hell and laugh as the demons kill my dwarves?

Found fire clay as the miners dug out the entrance :D whoo-hooooo!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

radkid1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: March 24, 2011, 05:33:03 pm »

dwarf go nuts cannot hunt down stuff need game speed  i not slow it down play for 15mins one dwarf go nuts and all dwarf die make new game

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: March 24, 2011, 06:25:22 pm »

Hahaha!!

Sunnydale has its first engineered cave-in, and the doctor's services is not needed. One mildly stunned dwarf who dusted herself off, and a newly undergroundish pasture. I am awesome.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: March 24, 2011, 08:18:50 pm »

Just tested my execution tower by throwing a horse off it. It needs to be taller.

Fock, game crash.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:33:44 pm by Deviled »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11696 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »

A forgotten beast appeared in the caverns, wandered around a bit, and then teleported through several solid layers of rock to appear in the middle of my fortress.  Fortunately, the militia was able to kill it fairly easily.  Unfortunately, this forgotten beast's blood causes any creature it touches to nearly instantly bleed to death.  Many war dogs and children died.  The adults were all protected by their clothing.

Despite not being injured as far as I could tell, the leader of the militia went to the hospital to rest for a bit.  The chief medical dwarf ignored him.  After a while, the militia leader got up and went back to work, having received no medical care whatsoever.  I suppose that's better than him sitting in the hospital being ignored forever.

I have built a washing pool, and the dwarves have cleaned up all the forgotten beast blood, but I'm still getting the occasional report of a war dog or pet cat bleeding to death spontaneously.  I might have to wait till DFHack is updated before I can continue playing this fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: March 24, 2011, 10:14:21 pm »

Oh hey, a new version. Think I'll make a quick fort to try it out.

*20min later*

THIS IS THE BEST EMBARK EVER!

I found a major river with no aquifer- I've never had one of those before, and I was awed by the 43 tile river. "Not a lot of real estate on the surface" I thought, "But I'll be spending most of my time underground anyway. I'll just go scout out a good place by digging a test shaft an-"

You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground!  "Deep underground? This is 4 levels down. Wait, this cavern is made of limestone. THERE ARE VEINS OF LIMONITE EVERYWHERE! SCORE!"

You have discovered a magma pool! "NICE! Way off in the corner there, but I can pump it where I need it. Hell, its only 8 levels from the surface, I can have a magma water tower."

You have discovered a great magma sea! "Thirteen levels down? This is one shallow map- I'll have to build some walls on the surface for some extra housing room. Wait, is that Galena? YES, EVERY METAL I COULD WANT ON ONE EMBARK!"

Now if only some platypi will migrate onto the map, this would be a perfect embark. Slaughtersboulders, strike the earth!

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: March 24, 2011, 10:16:04 pm »

My new embark is on top of an ass ton of orthoclase, microcline, some olivine, and some realgar. My fort will be a colorful wonderland, with waterfalls and miracles everywhere. Also, I'm on a good biome, so I hoped to have fluffy wamblers frolicking through the halls as well. Unfortunately, my cats decided to kill them all instead, and their mangled remains were strewn about the fortress like Christmas decorations. I wonder if I can manage to tame some unicorns instead, and have my warriors ride into battle on those?

Also I found some platinum.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:37 pm »

I decided that having fun with demons was a good way to end my last fort. Before i can open the tube a forgotten beast shows itself. Its a humanoid made of green glass with deadly dust. I open the tube up and wait for the inevitable onslaught. My 6 miners manage to take out 2 of them. The first kill went to my original miner and it was instant. After that, it was all downhill. The first demon that made it too the surface was a fire demon, who promptly exploded or some shit, igniting everyone and everything around him. All my heroes died instantly, including my commander who lost her husband and son in one of the early sieges (and killed her dog in the ensuing tantrum). A few random soldiers were still alive and managed to kill 6 or so more before my fortress was almost completely over run.

In the midst of all this i receive a message informing me that the FB was dead. It had exploded for seemingly no reason at all, sending glass chunks flying everywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 3842