Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112267 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11700 on: March 24, 2011, 10:38:29 pm »

that's a pretty awesome death for a fortress...
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: March 24, 2011, 10:50:34 pm »

Oh my creatures. A Giant Toad, Cave Crocodile, and Fire Imp are all hanging around the magma pool, so it looks like I won't be heading down there for a while. An alligator leaped out of the river to try and kill a mule, but it missed and the Mule proceeded to kick it in the left foot, horribly mangling it. Right now the alligator keeps passing out from pain- I may dispatch my military dwarf to get me some easy meat. And a pride of Giant Lions just moved onto the map- this could get FUN quickly

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »

alright, i've been looking for a good new embark, and, i know this isnt the question thread, but what would a good danger room design be? i've tried making them a bunch of times and they either didnt work or they were shite >.>

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: March 24, 2011, 11:05:18 pm »

alright, i've been looking for a good new embark, and, i know this isnt the question thread, but what would a good danger room design be? i've tried making them a bunch of times and they either didnt work or they were shite >.>

Depends on how many people you want to train in them at a time. A simple and effective one which can handle a squad of 10 is a 3x3 room with a door and a lever outside the door. Build 9 upright spear traps, one in each tile, and put three wooden training spears in each one. Hook 'em all up to the lever, station the squad inside, lock the door (to keep out pets and idiot children) and put a "pull lever/r" job on the lever. Watch their mood - if they start getting unhappy, unstation them, cancel the lever pull, and unlock the door so they can go take a break.

Usually you'll be to multiple legendary status within just a few days or weeks, game-time. Make sure your guys are fully armored before you start operations, naturally. Wooden training spears will slaughter unarmored dwarves.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: March 24, 2011, 11:26:07 pm »

Green dragon showed up, breathed poison all over 4 of my melee military.  Fortunately one was immune thanks to being of the green caste, but the rest all immediately got nauseous.  Then a short time after the dragon was killed they started showing a fever.

Unfortunately I don't actually remember what syndromes I gave the green dragon breath, and I don't really feel like looking in the raws to find out.  Chances are it's crazy lethal, since another breath attack I made at the same time turned out to be, and the infected individuals have a lot of friends.  One is even married to my legendary spear user. 

This has potential to result in FUN.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: March 25, 2011, 12:43:58 am »

An elven caravan visited my outpost.

Their corpses are now in the river, and their food stocks are mine. Also, loads of magnetite, no flux.  :'(
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: March 25, 2011, 01:54:44 am »

My current fort is in the latest version and is on a 2x2 embark site with a perfectly flat surface and a volcano one z-level down in the top left quarter of the map. Needless to say, I've started building my fort around that so that I can make use of the many industries it allows me to enjoy with no need for fuel.

It's also probably unnecessary to point out that this is a great source of !!FUN!!.

Like when a horde of mandrills storm my fort in an effort to steal my green glass pots, causing job cancellation spam and making one of my miners dodge into the volcano. Another of my miners (Why my miners? I only have three, for crying out loud, out of a population of fifteen) was shaken around by the head until he bled to death, four z-levels below the surface. The damn mandrill got a name for that, and my militia commander, already in a foul mood after the death of the first miner, was just a little too slow to save the second guy.

Then I get a message that one of my dwarves has canceled storing something in a stockpile due to a jaguar, which is apparently attacking my yak that came with the wagon. I send my now-tantruming militia commander to sort it out, and much as I had hoped, he took some pleasure in it. To quote his thoughts, "He enjoyed throwing something lately." Said something was the previously mentioned jaguar's mutilated corpse, which he hurled roughly 21 tiles, and it only stopped because it hit a tree.

So, now that I've spoken favorably of Asob Boltscurl, I'm going to watch and see how long it takes something awful to happen to him. The last dwarf I remember mentioning on the forums was a child who was adopted by several drakelings - miniature dragons - after a modding attempt a few versions ago. Said child was melted by his swarm of drakelings when one of them discovered a goblin thief standing between the drakeling and the child. I have no modded creatures this time around, so we'll see.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: March 25, 2011, 04:11:48 am »

No sieges, an awesome military clad in adamantium, a Countess with more golden rooms and engraved multi-z-level chambers and throne rooms than she could ever wish for, golden roads, rooms that overlook the volcano with gem windows, towers with catapults, I got it all.

Got bored and decided to dig DOWN. And arrived. And all the clowns went upwards..... in the wrong chimney. Guys? Hello? I'm over here?

Even the clowns don't want to play with me...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: March 25, 2011, 04:42:12 am »

My fortress is now sealed off from the outside world, having let in the first two migrant waves only. I have a trade depot accessible by two bridges, which doubles as an airlock.

The depot isn't for trading, however, it's for luring in dumb elves who get sealed inside until they go mad and die. I've never deliberately murdered traders before, but I figured since the newer migrants were starving to death outside the walls, why not?

Hopefully I'll get some fun engravings of starving dwarves and elves going beserk and getting kicked to death by camels.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: March 25, 2011, 05:22:36 am »

Just survived my first year in 31.22, and man was it tough! I embarked on a cold ocean/temperate forest biome, and every spring/summer I am ambushed by HUGE armies of... Giant Badgers. These things are vicious... they will randomly get enraged, and then charge at someone. I embarked with 12 chickens, three llamas, and 7 dwarfs. I lost 2 dwarfs, 10 chickens, and have two injured llamas running around before any migrants even arrived. Death toll, thankfully, stands at 5, since I installed the wooden weapon traps that seem to perforate any wildlife stupid enough to enter the inner courtyard :P

Thankfully, I have a small wooden palisade set up, and will soon have my awesome dodging trap that might even drop invaders into my dining hall, after a 10 z-level fall onto spikes.

But the dining hall will be a shocker. It is planned to be 6 z-levels high, and is a 70x70 square, with 36 3x3 pillars of stone in the middle, which will reach up all the way. EVERYTHING will be smoothed :D But that is quite some time away.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: March 25, 2011, 09:56:33 am »

Sunnydale's being invaded by badgers!!! Also I have a well set up that's drawing from the caverns.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11711 on: March 25, 2011, 10:09:49 am »

One of my dogs is trying to eat the head of an alligator.

:U

It is amusing to watch. Said alligator has been shaken around by the head for over 100 pages of combat log, many of them by two dogs at the same time. And my hunter dorf was taking a nap next to the scene.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26:06 am »

Uh...

oops.

First dead dorf: drowned in the caverns after deconstructing something out from under himself.

D:

One slab, coming right up!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: March 25, 2011, 10:32:38 am »

I have begun customizing dwarf profession-titles at Craftgates in the name of being able to see what the hell I'm doing. I started with the dwarves who's showing title was something I obviously want to keep around, or who are legendary in a field already: "Digger", "Stone Cutter" and "Stone Stacker", "Big Woody" (Woodcutter/Carpenter), "Tech Head", "Cash Cow" (Legendary Stonecrafter), "Leather Daddy" (Legendary Leatherworker), and "Smells Fishy". Now I've moved on to looking at each dwarf's non-profession skillset, reassigning labors, and changing their titles to reflect the new job.

When I'm done with this, I'll go back through and assign everybody with a default profession to the military, give them silver hammers from the galena I've been melting down, and give them all the profession name "Maxwell Edison".

My end goal in this is that I'll be able to sort out migrants as soon as they arrive, and keep my longtime residents in-line.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:59:46 am by proxn_punkd »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11714 on: March 25, 2011, 11:33:53 am »

So apparently, fully steel-clad dorfs are really effective combatants. A cyclops popped up, and i have no traps, so naturally i sic my 10-dorf squad on it. After it broke the spine of a silly wrestler/legendary weaver who rushed ahead, a swordsdorf with a -steel battle axe- (he is now dabbling axedorf) came by and brained it for an instant kill. I was amused.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 3842