Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108818 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10260 on: January 28, 2011, 07:29:22 pm »

End of summer, second year of the fort. Nearly 6m created wealth due to striking adamantine early (i.e. in my dining room), 50-ish dwarves. I send my military, fully equipped in adamantine battle uniform, to guard the front gate, expecting at least a siege.

I get one ambush.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:31:28 pm by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: January 28, 2011, 07:34:15 pm »

Not saying that other things cannot be useful, they are just less.. Fun.. To each their own.  I gave them to my chief marksdwarf.

-MB

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: January 28, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »

Just noticed my bookkeeper is a twelve year old girl with a grudge against numbers. I'll be right back, elves just showed up and I need have to rob them.

*edit* fixed it.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: January 28, 2011, 08:31:39 pm »

Aaaand just ran into ANOTHER adamantine tube while digging out my vault/museum/mausoleum. Also, my militia commander bled to death due to fire imp goo after defending the metalworkers from a couple of imps who decided to pop up and say hello. She got a masterwork adamantine coffin.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: January 28, 2011, 08:33:29 pm »

The fact that you have masterwork adamantine coffins laying about...

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »

No, that was actually the first death of the fort, and I had a blacksmith who went secretive and made a 2.5m adamantine splint. Ordered a sarcophagus made, he rushed right in and made a masterpiece.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: January 28, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »

My announcement page is half "Urist McEyerot cancels action: Resting Injury" and half "Doggie McWardog, war dog has  given birth to puppies".

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: January 28, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »

Second metalsmith 'mood' object:

Okirfesh, "The Elder Wings", an Iron Spear

This is an iron spear.  All crafsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  IT is decorated with vulture bone.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of plume agate and menaces with spikes of chert.  On the item is an image of Nawara Fataltunneled the Murkey Umbra the creature of evil in orn.  Nawara Fataltunneled the Murky Umbra is traveling.  The artwork relates to the wandering of the creature of evil Nawara Fataltunneled the Murky Umbra in the Forest of Vandalizing in the late winter of 8.

Hard core spear, will have to give it to my next captain (somebody who will have to train as a speardwarf I guess..).

Other then that the fort is going swimmingly, have tons of food, tons of drink, well system is up and running, have tons of fuel, a fair amount of iron and silver and decent walls to protect from the outside.  Heck we've already survived one siege (though it was a minor one).

-MB

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: January 28, 2011, 09:34:53 pm »

What is "orn"?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: January 28, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »

Brand new super secret metal, makes cotton candy look like tin, you've never heard of it?

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: January 28, 2011, 09:46:38 pm »

My current fort is built around a spiral staircase that descends to the magma sea.  I haven't bothered setting up pleasant accommodations for my workers, because I want to focus on my staircase, and and it's a very very long staircase. Because I've been neglecting my laborers, I just had a near-total population purge, from a tantrum spiral.  Immigrants show up, and the recovery is going well:  then, one of the few survivors from the previous generation decides he's still in a bad mood.

The stonecrafter attacks the miner but she scrambles away!
The miner slams into an obstacle and blows apart!

Looks like it might be time for round two.  And I've now only got one miner... and he's only competent.  I think that maybe I'll give the workers a nice place to live, now.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: January 28, 2011, 09:49:43 pm »

My Expedition Leader is a Steel Dwarf with the last name of "Steelboats." How appropriate, just found my first soldier!

Brand new super secret metal, makes cotton candy look like tin, you've never heard of it?
Nay.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: January 28, 2011, 11:11:28 pm »

A New chapter of Dwarven History begins here at this place, Usanagek Gar Nom, "Murderbees the Destroyer of Gods". Strike the earth!

Started a new fortress with both a volcano and a river in a area that shouldn't freeze over. Hooray for obsidian farming!

Also, i should say that the Golden Axe III OST Goes well with DF. This tune fits starting off right after an embark perfectly, and since the Sega Genesis/Megadrive also used FM Synthesis, it sounds all nice and soundblaster-y to compliment the ASCII Graphics.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:23:18 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: January 29, 2011, 12:49:33 am »

Well Silverbeak still stands, almost five years later.

We've created just over 400K in welath and exported about 330K, we've broken 80 dwarves and we have 722 seeds in storage(!).

We've survived three sieges and only lost five dwarves (two very early on as I mentioned a few pages ago.. One during a seige and two babies that were thoughtlessly carried into battle in what I can only assume was an attempt to test a new, somewhat unconventional, type of armor).

My army could be better but its ok, particularly my MarksDwarves.  I'm using Fortress Defense II so I'm sure pain is coming (already seen some signs of hellfire imps).

Until next time..

-MB

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: January 29, 2011, 12:57:23 am »

I think I'm gonna mod dwarves to have natural 20 skill in mining.  Not because I value speed, but because I'm super-OCD about stone and hate to waste any.  Weird, I know, but the mountains of talc are something to me!

I'm also debating a full above-ground fort, likely made out of exotic materials that aren't local, so it'll be built one year at a time from traded goods.  If anyone noticed my other post in another thread, I got the idea for a tree-shaped fort with hanging rooms and cascading waterfalls.  It's gonna murder my FPS so hard...
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 3842