Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108771 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10275 on: January 29, 2011, 01:30:47 am »

It seems like lots of people have OCD. Everywhere I go, OCD is there.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: January 29, 2011, 02:24:06 am »

I'm also debating a full above-ground fort, likely made out of exotic materials that aren't local, so it'll be built one year at a time from traded goods.

What's wrong with a Glass City? You could make it out of Green Glass blocks, and have your Masons pave the streets with Orthoclase blocks.

... then people can just follow the Yellow Brick Road to the Emerald City.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:47:06 am by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: January 29, 2011, 02:32:40 am »

I had an idea, what if you made a massive repostitory of seeds in a glacier biome, like the one up in the Arctic right now? Then you could deposit magma all over your embark area and revitalise everything.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10278 on: January 29, 2011, 05:23:35 am »

leader/miner were removing ramps and suddenly find himself between a wall and 4/7 stagnant water. He died of thirst a few months after.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: January 29, 2011, 08:24:02 am »

Feeding my military the tattered, captured remnants of ambushers, thieves and kidnappers that survived the weapon traps and staggered into the cage traps.

"The Speardwarf kicks the Goblin Bowman in the head with her left foot, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!

The Goblin Bowman has been knocked unconscious!'

Yeah. For a dwarf, someone sure has good kicking power.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: January 29, 2011, 11:30:46 am »

NEWS: Autumn 2. That 12 year old accountant just killed a gobbo with her plain iron shield. Now I gotta come up with a suitable name for her.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10281 on: January 29, 2011, 12:59:36 pm »

Irritated at the constant(monthly to bi-monthly) multi-ambushes, some of which are now invisible because they seem to have (mostly) stopped killing each other, I tried to mod them to burst into flames at 0°U(which for those who don't know, that's about 9000 below absolute zero). It's not working. I've tried setting [HOMEOTHERM:12000](magma temperature), tried changing both the blood and skin to ignite at 0°U, nothing has worked so far. I've even turned invaders off in d_init.txt.

While I could remove their brains from their raw, I'd rather not, since that makes it fairly glitchy(I know it'll kill them though).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: January 29, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »

Well, I've found 3 veins of adamantine on my map so far. I lost 4 dorfs to the well in the training barracks. The goblins sprung an ambush for this current wave of immigrants, which kind of sucks because my fort only has 17 dorfs and 8 of them are in the military. I really need some haulers, but if I set the squad to inactive, they'll gripe about it and they could possibly throw tantrums. I kind of want to sick my war dogs on the gobbos, but I don't think that will end too well because I only have 20 war dogs. It really sucks because the last elven caravan had tame giant eagles and the cages are just sitting on my front door. I just wish I could figure out how to use the volcano to get rid of the goblins.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: January 29, 2011, 02:47:58 pm »

Set up a danger room for the first time;  I used to think it was exploity but realized taking three years to have decent combat skills was a little ridiculous.  My dwarves tore apart a squad of goblin crossbowmen in about five seconds with no damage just recently whereas previously I would have lost at least one.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: January 29, 2011, 03:05:14 pm »

EDIT: Nevermind.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: January 29, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »

Almost lost one of my starting seven.

I ordered the final block dug out of what was to be my second magma reservoir to power some more forges, and Reg Mafolmistem, Legendary Miner, decided to stand in the reservoir after it began filling. I had forgotten to add another dig order elsewhere to expedite his retreat. He made it upstairs, but barely, and I noticed a trail of blood following him. Worried that he might be badly injured and succumb to infection since I haven't set up a soapmaker yet, I check his wounds to see one of his arms and his upper lip badly injured... But he was still toughing it out and going about his job, so I decided to let it slide.

Currently working on building him a larger room with some obsidian and cobaltite patterned flooring and engravings, because I feel guilty that I almost caused one of my founders to die.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10286 on: January 29, 2011, 05:42:17 pm »

Almost lost one of my starting seven.

I ordered the final block dug out of what was to be my second magma reservoir to power some more forges, and Reg Mafolmistem, Legendary Miner, decided to stand in the reservoir after it began filling. I had forgotten to add another dig order elsewhere to expedite his retreat. He made it upstairs, but barely, and I noticed a trail of blood following him. Worried that he might be badly injured and succumb to infection since I haven't set up a soapmaker yet, I check his wounds to see one of his arms and his upper lip badly injured... But he was still toughing it out and going about his job, so I decided to let it slide.

Currently working on building him a larger room with some obsidian and cobaltite patterned flooring and engravings, because I feel guilty that I almost caused one of my founders to die.
You need to free yourself from the tyranny caring about the starting 7 causes.  I started this fort and didnt care about my starting 7 at all and am much better for it.  Largely because in the year 260 or so my fort succumbed to a series of tantrum spirals and they died along with 200 or so other dwarfs.  I reclaimed it several times and thus had a few starting 7 (there were uncaged magabeasts and goblins running around).

Seriously though, if I cared about the 7 starting ones where would I have found the will to send wave after wave of new starting ones to die and eventually bury the 300+ dwarfs littering the site?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: January 29, 2011, 05:53:41 pm »

I don't care if they all survive, but I like to keep at least a couple.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10288 on: January 29, 2011, 05:58:08 pm »

My fortress, Catpaddles, has become a Barony on Year 5 (555?)!  And what does my Baron request for his first thing built as a Baron?  Slade goods.

I don't think my Baron is going to be baron-ing for very long.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Tzusch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: January 29, 2011, 06:03:31 pm »

Made a peace treaty with my dear elven neighbors after they unleashed their hordes of murderous horses upon my fort.

Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 3842