Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105589 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8685 on: December 11, 2010, 07:42:10 am »

Its 253 and crest paddles is thriving. we stand at 98 dwarves. only 5 are children. military of 40 (20 iron equipped melee, 20 iron equipped marksdwarves... no flux stone!). food and booze in abundance. all live in comfort and wealth, provided by the export of stone crafts, shell armour, clothing and leather goods. its all going too well. the gobbos are at war with my civ, but not even a gobbo thief yet... i chose my position very carefully due to this - at the head of a valley, so it was easy to isolate myself with a wall, bridge and ditch after removing a ton of ramps to turn the hills into impassible cliffs. i WANT them to come in force so they can eat some of my several thousand silver bolts. any that make it past that should be easy for my meleesquads to deal with. no beast attacks either. if i have another stable year i am going down to the magma.

all in all, this seems to prove the old saying: its just too quiet.

watch now: within a season, megabeasts and gobbos ahoy. hopefully. if not, then some stupid megaproject...
This is a blank sig.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: December 11, 2010, 08:12:28 am »

About one-year in on my recently made fort. We got about 13 dorfs.

My fort uses a single long staircase, with each floor being specialized towards a certain thing, and an occasional Floor Hatch just in case someone decides to fall down. That way they won't fall down for miles on end. Anyway, I just recently finished smoothing out the entire Hospital and loading it up with four beds, four coffers, and a traction bench. Not that fancy right now, but it'll do.

I've got bedrooms for the starting 7 and four for the free migrants that come in the first few seasons, as well as some extra ones for later. This fort is modded so that the only way to get more members (minus the free migrants) is baby making, so I won't need to clear out much room for bedrooms right this second.

Lately, I've finished mining out stockpiles for our Masons Workshop and Craftdwarfs Workshop, and I've also finished the water-filled moat to guard our combination outside, walled-off Trade Depot/Staircase down into the fort. The Trade Depot is roofed off and guarded by a bridge, walls, and water-filled moat, so I'm confident it'll hold out Goblin Sieges and the occasional ambush well enough. Once I get the necessary things, I'll probably add a gauntlet of weapon traps as well.

The only other thing of note is, since I've decided to make my Expedition Leader a full-time engraver, he's been doing all the smoothing work. He's already up to Adept, and I'm going to have him smooth out as much fortress as he can until he hits Legendary, then I'll put him to work engraving things. Surprisingly, only one kobold thief has arrived so far, and no ambushes at all. Food and booze is being constantly made and we have an insane amount of gem-studded trade goods ready to sell. I've also recently mined out a huge load of silver on one of our mining-dedicated floors. I might make some silver warhammers out of it to put in weapon traps, since I'm not focusing on military so much right now.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: December 11, 2010, 10:18:12 am »

My above ground fortress attempt is being interesting.  The food stockpiles are being raided by buzzards, they aren't being very successful, only occasionally making off with something, but they have caused all work to grind to a halt as they are scattered all over the build site.

They caused the bowyer to fall into the quarry.  She has all kinds of broken bones from the 4 level fall to the next level of the access path, but she is alive.  At least she took one of the damn birds with her on the fall.

Unfortunately due to the usable stone shortage there is still no hospital. Or anything other than a mess hall really. Guess I'll have to figure out where I'll be burying the dead earlier than expected.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: December 11, 2010, 10:58:06 am »

Nitemerith has been saved.

Well, immigrants came, much like humans with ample supply of iron shields and weapons. I have no iron nor coal on my own.

It's 30 of us now, and the militia is training fast. Summer is uneventful, but better prepare for autumn ambushes and sieges. Goblins, kobolds, shruks like to appear. In the same moment.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: December 11, 2010, 11:39:38 am »

More migrants
180 dwarfs
*twitches* I think I'll rearrange my execution tower to accept friendless, skillless dwarfs through the clever use of military. If they survive, they'll train my doctors. Ivory Quake! Advance to the catapult bridge, will you?

EDIT: also, there's a ghostly diagnostician in the hospital. Alas, she is but a forlorn haunt, not a murdering bitch coming straight back from hell.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:41:17 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8690 on: December 11, 2010, 11:55:33 am »

Just started up a new fortress with the intent of building a military and fighting off sieges with dwarves rather than my usual strategy of overly elaborate mechanical deathtraps.  Rather than my usual starting plan of surface farming until I can set up irrigation, I dug straight down to the muddy cavern level and placed farms on the carvern floor.  Before I was able to wall them off, a giant olm and a flock of elk birds came up into my fortress.  Result was two out of the starting seven dead, and three badly injured, but the remaining two held things together until immigrants arrived.  This fortress is starting out Fun already.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: December 11, 2010, 12:02:52 pm »

A kobold thief tried to sneak in to Silvertouch during the autumn caravan, but it was spotted by my chained guard dog. The bitch beheaded my dog before making a run for it.

The first dwarf to get to her was Iden Squirtedlantern, a swordmaster armed with a bismuth bronze short sword. She charged, and knocked the thief back, stunning her. Then she proceeded to slowly dismember the thief — left hand, right hand, left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm … until finally the kobold bled out.

The dwarves of Silvertouch love their dogs.

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: December 11, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »

I just attempted a new embark, I got a cavern collapse message and though no bid deal. And as is custom used Stonesense to get a screen shot of what I was looking at.

I am not sure what happened. But I have 2 20 z level tall magma mountains, not as in obsidian walled volcanoes, just magma suspended in the air. As well as molten rock. Is this an above ground magma sea? Or something else? I would upload the screenshot but I have no idea how.
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: December 11, 2010, 01:17:56 pm »

I just had a large dose of Fun.i had only 20 dwarfs, and only 8 of them where military when i got 8 ambushes at the same time.

i tried to lock the doors to the keep but a limestone block kept it open. I quickly assembled the militia, which included my legendary marks dwarf with 3 lesser marks-dwarfs. and my 4 Axe dwarfs. the resulting shootout was the most intense thing that i had ever seen. 6 of the eight ambushes were bow goblins and bolts where flying all over the place. many goblins fell but they were too many until only my legendary remained. he had ran out of bolts so he began bashing goblins left and right and i thought that he might have a chance, but even he succumbed in the end. with no opposition the enemy continued to sweep through my fortress killing all in their path. i tried to assemble a last ditch attack but even that failed. as i type the only dwarf remaining is a miner/mason who trapped himself and will soon starve to death.

I love this game.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: December 11, 2010, 01:47:04 pm »

My dining hall is flooding, I accidentally dug into the river.  Most of it is draining down a shaft into a magma pipe creating many, many cave-ins.  And (!!) a hole in the magma.  It's almost walled off though.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: December 11, 2010, 01:49:07 pm »

building a giant glass dome ontop of my outdoors fortress. Currently running into problems where, while working on the roof, my contruction dwarves are getting shot at by bowgoblins.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: December 11, 2010, 01:50:35 pm »

My thoughts : My impenetrable defense is done! eat that soon to come ambushes and already come thieves and snatchers! *Defensive moat ad brook start freezing* Stupid defense. *Puts up boring walls*

My defensive brook  is a brook with channels.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: December 11, 2010, 03:02:59 pm »

Part 23 of my LP is up.

Don't have much to say about this update. So instead, have a Reveredtour fun fact; prior to the 3rd migration wave, females greatly outnumbered males in Reveredtour. However, the 3rd wave balanced out both gender to equal numbers.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: December 11, 2010, 04:01:32 pm »

I just attempted a new embark, I got a cavern collapse message and though no bid deal. And as is custom used Stonesense to get a screen shot of what I was looking at.

I am not sure what happened. But I have 2 20 z level tall magma mountains, not as in obsidian walled volcanoes, just magma suspended in the air. As well as molten rock. Is this an above ground magma sea? Or something else? I would upload the screenshot but I have no idea how.
GOOD GOD SOMEONE TELL HIM HOW TO UPLOAD SAVES!  :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: December 11, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »

GOOD GOD SOMEONE TELL HIM HOW TO UPLOAD SAVES!  :D
This. I direly want to weaponize the sky-magma. No pumps, just floodgates and gravity.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 3842