Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105316 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8700 on: December 11, 2010, 04:16:20 pm »

The Militia Captain punches the Kobold Thief in the head with his left hand, bruising the musle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The Kobold thief has been knocked unconcious!

(Half my military swooped down on the Kobold thief within 2 seconds (Really, my marksdwarf was out there (probably going to the statue garden or something) and he shot him immediatly after I gave the kill order to my entire military. To this date It's the first kobold I've killed because they kept running away before my military could get out the door. I wonder how my chained up entrance dog didn't notice it.)
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: December 11, 2010, 04:18:20 pm »

well whatevs here it goes.

In your DF folder, go to Data=>Save=>your current folder and zip it (right click-> send to zipped file/folder/whatever) and upload the save to some site (such as http://www.mediafire.com) and post the link here.

that is a phenomenon called "magma mountains" and happens during screwed worldgen.

please make a copy of your entire Dwarf Fortress folder for the sake of the community.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: December 11, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »

Flagmine
3rd Granite, 1058
My female two-humped camel just died of old age. Fortunately she had a daughter before she died, so hopefully we can still breed them because it seems Mountainhome doesn't allow the export of camels.

We've made some design changes to our waterfall entrance, so now were deconstructing portions of the bridge to accommodate the new design.

Two new artifacts have been made, a palm earring worth 38400, and a steel mace worth 177600.

Pastwatches the Lucky Tomb-Rampages is a plan earring. All craftsdwarship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with giant earthworm leather and encircled with bands of cave fish leather and bismuth. This object menaces with spikes of palm and rose gold.
On the item is an image of Urvad Teacherrocks the dwarf and dwarves in palm. Urvad Teacherrocks is surround by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf Urvad Teacherrocks to the position of general of the Stocked Furnaces in 877.
On the item is an image of lizards in spotted wobbegong leather.

The Absolute Sorcerer is a steel mace. All craftsdwarship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with lignite and morion, decorated with palm and encirled with bands of black diamond and lignite. This object menaces with spikes of lignite. On the item is an image of Strifeurges the platinum mace in steel. On the item is an image of two thrones in palm.

The duke is becoming irritating. He keeps demanding braclets and beds. So I ask one of the craftsdwarves to make some bracelets. He came back with 22 figurines. A number of them related to dwarves and goblins striking each other down. I guess that explains the three empty towers upriver.
But I have questions about the one of him surrounded by blind fiends, and why he couldn't just make bracelets.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: December 11, 2010, 05:55:11 pm »

The Absolute Sorcerer is a steel mace... It is encrusted with lignite... encirled with bands of... lignite. This object menaces with spikes of lignite.
Don't use that around magma.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: December 11, 2010, 06:50:48 pm »

Urghhh!

First of all, turn on this music.

Nitemerith again (40d).

So... I made a militia from few fresh immigrants. Decided it will be fun if they kill few mammoths, so I've sent after them. But Mammoths were quite skilled in running away, and thus the dwarves chased them for a MONTH (in-game).

One mammoth got cornered, two dwarves after it, pools to the left and right. I thought 'nice, at last' and almost cheered, but nooo! The Mammoth turns around, and rushes onto the dwarves.

One dodges INTO THE LEFT POOL, and the second INTO THE RIGHT POOL. Both drown. Argh!

Then, other militia guys began chasing the mammoth, who in turn began chasing some stoneworker with a baby (coincidence or not, I still wonder).

To make this more insulting/hillarious, after a while, a Giant Eagle began chasing the mammoth-chasing militia guys. They were chasing like this for a moment, before marksgoblin ambush shown up and ruined everything :<

Guess who survived it? That goddamn previously-cornered mammoth.

I think I need to build him a shrine or something...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: December 11, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »

Letterpeacefull is living up to it's name. 2 letters have had to be sent to a stoneworker and a potash maker's family. I'm also 1 dwarf away from sieges. Meanwhile, only like 4 kobolds have come and no goblins. This fort has a lack of Fun. *Urist McJHLL is throwing a tantrum*

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: December 12, 2010, 01:24:58 am »

I'm starting a new fort for no real reason. I'm already starting to have problems with my head smith. She has a grudge against one of my miners, and he's upset her so much she's gone to 'very unhappy'. The woman's a loose cannon according to her profile page; she loves to defy convention, can't handle stress, and never shies away from an opportunity to say she's better than somebody else. I don't think I've ever had a dwarf with such a dangerous combination before. She's been upset to have to talk to a 'pillar of society' lately. Seriously, our psychiatrist is too noble for you? I mean, he is the expedition leader, manager, bookkeeper, and broker right now, but come on!

There are traders as well, in the first summer! I'm surprised to see the Cobalds so soon. They brought with them kobold thieves, detected apparently by our cat, who is across the trade ravine, possibly a total of 13-15 tiles away. It's the only other unit around though, so it must be a high master observer or something. She won't be butchered anytime soon, I just wish I could prevent her from being adopted and post her at the door behind a fortification. By the gods were there a lot of the damn things!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:27:03 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: December 12, 2010, 03:15:20 am »

Today is the day I decided to build a well.

Today is the day I forgot about water pressure.

Thankfully, a hastily constructed wall is bravely standing between the rampaging hordes of tildes and my fortress.
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Gulliver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: December 12, 2010, 04:40:18 am »

Today I began a new fort.

My land is The Land of Squirting.

I am building on a brook names Bowelfailure.

My Fortress is called Shellpaddles.

They're in the Land of Squirting, in Bowelfalure with building Shellpaddles.

All randomly generated.

It's like the game can see inside my head.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: December 12, 2010, 04:57:45 am »

I just embarked with 7 miners onto a cold ocean and land.
Ice fortress about to come... wait cold actually does defrost (:facepalm:) so I'm building ice walls for underwater stuff. AND DESPITE AQUIFERS I'VE STRUCK DRY ROCK!
(magnetite and hematite? FUCK YEAH!)
Fun!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: December 12, 2010, 07:36:22 am »

Well it's that time again when the brewer decides he doesn't want to be a brewer anymore, someone goes crazy and kills some other people, my fort hits a state of vague construction and is still being mined out. The sheer amount of rock I'm having to stockpile outside is staggering, I've used up a large amount of the map. I'm trying to test out a few traps for the lulz as this first wave starts to die out. I can see that, if we don't start brewing again quickly, I'll have to abandon fort and reclaim.

I'm building a great big ravine with bridge and hopefully I'll attach it to a lever or something, also fiddling around with spike traps. I have 70 or so members, not much of a military, not much of a sleeping quarters, boat loads of furniture, a mountain full of rocks a half constructed fortified wall...

Too many idlers, not enough being done, my farms are not being farmed, it's all gone tits up again. I never can seem to keep my food and drink supply going. It started off well but dried up. I don't even know what happened to my brewer. Just disappeared.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:45 am »

I've decided to up-and-move my entire population of 91 dwarves from their 2x2 rooms carved out of puddingstone on level -10 to a more luxurious neighborhood of smoothed-and-engraved 3x3 rooms in the marble layer between levels -42 and -50. Along the way I've discovered that about a third of my rooms were redundant, due to dwarves getting married but still keeping their old apartments.

Since the dwarves had been in their old rooms for about four years now, even the laziest and messiest of them had made good use of their cabinets. Deconstructing a built cabinet, it turns out, creates an explosion of socks and thongs. So now I'm going to let my dwarves idle for a year or two to see if they'll clean up the mess.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: December 12, 2010, 08:19:22 am »

Gemspike's broker just gave birth to a second child.
In her sleep.
Without waking.
The newborn is now crawling out of the bedrooms.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: December 12, 2010, 09:26:49 am »

The sheer amount of rock I'm having to stockpile outside is staggering, I've used up a large amount of the map.
Use garbage dumps. Designate a zone, mark it as  a garbage dump with g, go the the d-b menu, choose dump (or d) and designate the stone to be dumped. After this, once the stone is dumped, go to the d-b menu and reclaim it (or c). All stone can be fit in a single square with this. Also, if you don't use dumps (like if you consider it an exploit) don't use stockpiles. If you don't, all the stone will be just outside your mason's door.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:51 am »

Part 24 of my DF LP is up

I got 41 dwarves and a gem cutter ain't one of them. But of course there's already multiple soap makers fucking about, because that is the most useful profession on the planet. I hope they enjoyed their life of soap making, because it won't help them much in their new roles as designated masons and haulers.

Also artifact cabinets make me sad, but I suppose its better than an artifact thong or something equally absurd.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 3842