Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105576 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8655 on: December 10, 2010, 01:37:39 pm »

So in my current and most successful fort ever, Orbmurder, I've had a forgotten beast - a snow blob, to be precise - sitting at the bottom of my underground magma pipe for the last two years. I stopped getting "The forgotten beast is caught in a pool of magma!" messages after about three months, and so far its only injury is a missing wing, removed by the axedwarf it dodged down the pipe to get away from. I've dropped two caveins on the bastard. Help me!
Encase it in obsidian, and make a sword out of it! Oh boy.
And how do you propose I do that? As I said, it's sitting on the bottom of the magma sea, and it's about 20 tiles away from anything except magma.

If I could do that, though, it would definitely be going in my museum.
くコ:彡

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8656 on: December 10, 2010, 02:19:10 pm »

Drop water via bucket brigade down there and form a nice wall.  Cut a chunk out and go downwards.  Repeat.  A few dwarves might die of steam, heat and assorted ashyness, but it's doable.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: December 10, 2010, 03:26:55 pm »

After a leech titan, a pitiful goblin siege, and three ambushes, Gemspike is flourishing. Tombs are being prepared for the notable souls lost in the battles of the past, and preparations are being made to prevent the necessity of preparing more.

Also, the two lost arms of two craftsdwarves were located, after being lost to the jaws of the great leech. I can't help but wonder if they want them back, perhaps as souvenirs. Perhaps I'll play with the stockpiles to get them in their bedrooms. Or even each other's bedrooms (they lost opposite arms).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: December 10, 2010, 03:44:28 pm »

I am playing an all above-ground fort, not a single pick among my dwarves. Naturally, all the migrants are expert miners, stonecrafters, and the like.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: December 10, 2010, 04:00:38 pm »

* The Proxian has created Ablelagesh, "Bustcontests", a badlands fortress!

I decided to challenge myself with a surface-plant-less embark. My first try, I accidentally the circus with DFReveal, but on my second try I found an even nicer place: three layers of silty clay, a bit of red sand, some limestone, and a fish-infested river. It's gorgeous. My first project was a fishpond, so I'm hoping some fisherdwarves show up with the next wave of immigrants. Then I assigned furnace operating labors to all my miners, so they've kick-started my steel industry.

My next will be wet t-shirts so my lady dwarves can live up to the fort's name.
Bustcontests now has steel-clad military, fisherdwarves, a farm that got flooded out due to an unexpected midwinter thaw, a new farm, quality bone carvers and stonecrafters, cave contact (and tower-cap and fungiwood trees growing everywhere), and a giant mite or maggot or something with noxious secretions somewhere in the cave.

No clothiers yet for the wet t-shirts.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: December 10, 2010, 04:06:43 pm »

I am playing an all above-ground fort, not a single pick among my dwarves. Naturally, all the migrants are expert miners, stonecrafters, and the like.

I am doing something similar, except stockpiles are underground and I build buildings largely out of stone.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: December 10, 2010, 04:12:49 pm »

The Rosy Stake empire experienced hard times, recent years brought an outstanding mount of various strange wanderers to the world. Some of them were acting noble, fighting darkness manifestations through whole continent, the others were wreaking havoc and destruction wherever they went. The leader of nearby human empire and true friend of Rosy Stakes was brought down by one of these harbingers of cataclysm. The priests saw the omens of last days. The recently founded fortress Boltedhides reported the disturbance between the worlds mightiest beasts, being constantly attacked by giants usually dwelling in their caves. As if all that wasn't enough bordering the elven kingdom Ferocious Pantomime, Boltedhides also reported that elves were spotted preparing to war. The eleventh century was going to be the Time of Trials indeed. And while calm flow of history was crumbling and someone strong and resolute was needed, The Rosy Stakes were led by one who can barely be conscious for more then half a day.

ooc: seriously how did he end up in throne?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: December 10, 2010, 05:12:58 pm »

His father left him the throne in his will.
The kingship was determined by a drinking contest.
He spent all his time partying and chatting dwarves up when he wasn't drinking, so he was the most popular come election time.
Nobody else wanted the job.
He is just a puppet for the general/administrator.
He had the easiest to meet demands: "Make booze (1/1)"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:11:46 pm by McDwarf »

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: December 10, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »

Well, you would think "Drunk" would have a wildly different social connotation among dwarves than among humans... Almost like a badge of honor.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: December 10, 2010, 05:18:11 pm »

The Rosy Stake empire experienced hard times, recent years brought an outstanding mount of various strange wanderers to the world. Some of them were acting noble, fighting darkness manifestations through whole continent, the others were wreaking havoc and destruction wherever they went. The leader of nearby human empire and true friend of Rosy Stakes was brought down by one of these harbingers of cataclysm. The priests saw the omens of last days. The recently founded fortress Boltedhides reported the disturbance between the worlds mightiest beasts, being constantly attacked by giants usually dwelling in their caves. As if all that wasn't enough bordering the elven kingdom Ferocious Pantomime, Boltedhides also reported that elves were spotted preparing to war. The eleventh century was going to be the Time of Trials indeed. And while calm flow of history was crumbling and someone strong and resolute was needed, The Rosy Stakes were led by one who can barely be conscious for more then half a day.

Clearly he will become a noble and virtuous ruler to bring the world to justice!
Well that's how most fantasy stories plot out, right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: December 10, 2010, 06:35:21 pm »

Well, you would think "Drunk" would have a wildly different social connotation among dwarves than among humans... Almost like a badge of honor.

Truth- how much does a dwarf have to drink to be labled "Drunk"?

Of course, the opposite could be true and Drunk is a label of shame- a dwarf who can't hold his liquor, a disgrace to clan and country.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: December 10, 2010, 06:35:29 pm »

I just learned that if a soldier is struck down in battle, putting a replacement in his unit slot will automatically make his/her replacement pick up the deceased's gear.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: December 10, 2010, 07:27:23 pm »

This happened to me before; I'm fairly certain claims to the throne are settled by a drinking contest.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: December 10, 2010, 08:52:43 pm »

I'm re-making my dining hall to better fit 211 dwarves:
Old:

New:

Left is booze, right is food. The whole thing will be engraved when it's been filled and furnished.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: December 10, 2010, 09:23:14 pm »

I am currently awaiting a firestorm to blow over. As mentioned previously, I modded in drakelings - little pet dragons for my dorfs to have fun with. I've since made my dwarves immune to fire so that the drakes' breath won't obliterate them if aimed the wrong way, but even a small puff of dragonfire in a heavily wooded biome like the one I'm playing in will start a massive sweeping fire. I'm not certain, and I think the booze the dwarven traders brought with them exploded and killed them all, while maiming the dwarf I'd sent to trade with them. My game is currently chugging along at some horribly low frame rate while the fire steadily spreads to engulf everything.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 3842