Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105566 times)

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8670 on: December 10, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »

My newest fortress just died out in about one month, from a combination of skelks and skuskoxes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: December 10, 2010, 10:51:59 pm »

Shit's happening. I've been ambushed again and lost a couple outsider dwarves to their own stupidity. They're also starving to death, but I'm not going to feed them, I intend to let them all die. I need a way to clean up the map though; the amount of random junk is murder on my conscience if not FPS.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: December 10, 2010, 11:51:27 pm »

The main northward wave of flame is just now breaking on the northern wall of my fortress. I suspect FPS will slowly increase as it finally dies out, taking with it the massive cloud of smoke. Then, it's just a matter of waiting for the westward wave of flame to finally reach the westward wall and peter out. Only a few more... hours.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: December 10, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »

You could prevent further fires by paving roads/building lines of walls/floors in choke points so the fire will be contained.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: December 11, 2010, 12:06:38 am »

Precisely my intent. Really, I have no one to blame but myself for not thinking of this eventuality; I just hope someone else can both learn and draw amusement from my mistake. I do appreciate the advice - new players, take note! If you think you may have a fire hazard on your hands, use constructions/paved roads to limit the danger areas! Unfortunately for me, I have to wait until the fire's burnt itself out before I can do anything to prevent a recurrence.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: December 11, 2010, 03:24:51 am »

I'm "drowning" a bronze colossus on adventurer...

well, he can't get up anyways. also that "{magma}" I got underground  :o that didn't burn anything  8) has just encased him in magma  ;D and water  :D :D :D and so I can go back and claim my prize  8) 8)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: December 11, 2010, 03:38:23 am »

Building the water trap itself takes a year, building the drainage, power supply, backup systems, and access takes 5.  I've lost more miners to thirst than any other fort so far.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: December 11, 2010, 03:38:59 am »

Ah, Prestigemountain may survive yet. The feared Tantrum was short lived [just a bed, still sad though] and I have the tomb built and ready to inter the Brave guardians of the mountain, just as immigrants arrive. too bad they're nearly useless skill wise but eh, a weapon smith, doctor, herbalist will come in handy. too bad the peasant will forever be unskilled hauling labor.

Edit 05:03:18 am: Yay 3rd wave, still no architect. or farmer. A Copper war hammer ripped through a second mummy at least XD
Edit2: Also I've decided that with a lack of hunters and 2 militia, the rabbits will die. but being so far from base makes getting them butchered in time questionable. so Butcher shops everywhere  :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:07:28 am by Frosty_Dorf »

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: December 11, 2010, 04:24:23 am »

I have completed my first ever magma-based superweapon. At the pull of a lever, an iron floodgate opens and the area of land outside my fortress doors are covered in magma. I haven't had any attackers yet, so effectiveness is questionable. I also still have to build a perimeter of floodgates that can be activated during a seige to bottleneck the invaders into the killzone.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: December 11, 2010, 04:57:20 am »

My mayor started demanding jabberer bone items.

I hate the democratic process.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: December 11, 2010, 06:26:56 am »

well now, i have no farmers, just plant pickers, and my meat comes from my goat/rabbit bone armored and copper war hammer equipped 2 man army [lol] I have no cooks and only one wood chopper[who is also the brewer] and one miner, and only one person to construct stone and wood furniture, but Prestigemountain is doing quite well. didn't even lose my hammer dwarf vs the second mummy. now they occasionally roam the countryside mauling rabbits  :P. seriously i went from nearly no supplies to 676 total counting everything. got a lot of seeds filling up space till the bins get made though. Construction of Building 1 continues, and after the lower food store is complete I will start strip mining to seperate buildings and create towers and eventually a dwarvern metropolis. or get mauled by something I dunno.

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: December 11, 2010, 06:36:35 am »

well now, i have no farmers, just plant pickers, and my meat comes from my goat/rabbit bone armored and copper war hammer equipped 2 man army [lol] I have no cooks and only one wood chopper[who is also the brewer] and one miner, and only one person to construct stone and wood furniture, but Prestigemountain is doing quite well. didn't even lose my hammer dwarf vs the second mummy. now they occasionally roam the countryside mauling rabbits  :P. seriously i went from nearly no supplies to 676 total counting everything. got a lot of seeds filling up space till the bins get made though. Construction of Building 1 continues, and after the lower food store is complete I will start strip mining to seperate buildings and create towers and eventually a dwarvern metropolis. or get mauled by something I dunno.

Bins won't store your seeds; bags in barrels will.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: December 11, 2010, 06:44:08 am »

Bwahahahaa, I just fought off my first siege, as opposed to sitting down and waiting it out. It was AWESOME. On the other hand, my entire fort is now miserable since two dwarves died. TWO. In a fort of over 100, with a minimal military, against a metric ton of goblins riding giant olms.

Goblin Xmas came early.

Edit: Within 5 minutes of posting this, I got sieged AGAIN.

Lockdown initiated.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:46:37 am by The_Final_Stand »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: December 11, 2010, 07:03:57 am »

fuck that's bad

I never seemed to trigger sieges, but occasionally get ambushes that are HUGE. I mean, really/i], you just sneaked up on me with your 80 goblins and I didn't even see you???

Lazy lookouts.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: December 11, 2010, 07:28:41 am »

Bins won't store your seeds; bags in barrels will.

yeah figured that out but hey, gems need bins, right?
... oops, crushed a donkey. Ok, one row at a time since your legendaryness isn't smart enough to not cave in on the populace

Edit: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU my hammerdwarf fell and died damn you your lucky your my only miner or I'd send you down the cavern solo you stupid FAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
/sigh, at least I got one left to kill things for me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:31:06 am by Frosty_Dorf »

Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 3842