Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106243 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8475 on: December 02, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »

A huge siege happened. I'll try to make this simple:

-bad points: several dead civilians, most of which were too stupid to stay away from the spike traps on repeat or the crossbowgobbos. 3 dead soldiers, among which the captain of the guard, who rushed towards the enemy with his artifact crossbow instead of shooting them, therefore turning into a porcupine (as well as an elite marksdwarf, the dumbass got a promotion for nothing... he never was very bright anyway) before death. Lots of stuff to clean up. 3/4 of the war dogs of my thermonuclear wardog bomb, if no more, died without inflicting any damage.
-good points: my best soldier is unharmed (that badass hammerdwarf lacks a lower left arm since Armok knows how long; he's the dad and only parent of our mayor so I'll take good care of them both...). This time, no enemy even approached my entrance nor destroyed my precious windmill power system. Also, no flying mounts = no stupid gobbo getting inside because I haven't entirely closed all entrances from my megaproject. The war dogs were extremely useful into forcing the opponents to waste most of their ammo. All cage traps were succesful. My special bridge trap sent... about 20 gobbos to their spiked doom underneath; less than half are still alive, including a spearmaster, plus the last crossbowgobbo of the siege that dodged retardedly a dwarf into the garbage pit (I LOVE THIS TRAP SO MUCH NOW) => I'm gonna give my veterans a much-deserved Christmas as the survivors are horribly crippled and devoid of weapons. While many civilians died, that means the latest migrant wave has had its negative effect cancelled by bloody, bloody death.

So, all in all, a pretty succesful siege. Today's lesson: do not understimate the power of the bridge. I shall use it to my advantage.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: December 02, 2010, 04:03:35 pm »

"The Dragon Mistrum Usmoktul Nganiz Mistrum has come! A gigantic reptilian creature. It is magical and can breathe fire. These monsters can live for thousands of years."

... Oh, that's just not good. I doubt some stone floodgates will hold it back. No doubt it'll tear apart my Hall of Ouch too. There is only one thing that can be done...

Release the goblins! Release the minotaur! To arms, Dwarves!

Update: Well, this is fun. The dragon is sitting on my (purely aesthetic) bridge, breathing fire at the goblin ambushers. He's quite an effective defence mechanism. I think I might keep him.

Update2: YES! It walked right into the cage. Now I have a captured dragon, minotaur, and goblin squad. Unfortunately, one section of the outer gates were destroyed when Mistrum decided to breathe fire at the goblins. I'll need to get that fixed soon.

To be exact, I have:

10 Goblins
Nosost the Minotaur
Mistrum Usmoktul Nganiz Mistrum the Dragon

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:17:48 pm by Serio »

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: December 02, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »

Mistrum Usmoktul Nganiz Mistrum the Dragon

You should devise an elaborate floodgate + channel + pet impassable door perdition turret!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: December 02, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »

Getting the sewers done. Smoothed, clean of rocks. Just gotta open the connection between the river and the sewer. Also thinking of what to do with my dragon. I was hoping to create some sort of an oven with it, but have no idea how to go about that. Suggestions?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: December 02, 2010, 05:16:30 pm »

Got sieged by a bunch of goblins that outnumbered my military five to one. Forced to abandon because I wasn't able to get a good "lock this place down" system built in time without locking out about half my remaining dwarves.

I shall now embark on a new site, and defend it with a giant pit. No drowning or magma or anything fancy, just a pair of drawbridges over a 6-z drop. Maybe some spikes at the bottom once I have the metal industry going.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: December 02, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »

Tonight I learned that when you've modded your dwarves to eat sentients, and a combined goblin/troll/jabberer siege comes, you're going to need about a hundred butcher shops, tanner's shops and kitchens to keep up.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:36 pm »

I've got a fort that worships the sky, stars, night, darkness, courage, caverns, mountains, volcanoes, labor, crafts, metal, fire, and children. (No; They are not pedophiles. They believe in expanding their race.)
Pretty fitting for a cavern fort (Other than sky and stars).
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: December 02, 2010, 10:35:19 pm »

Part 16 of my LP is up.

Overall I'm satisfied with the first year of Reveredtour. I could have done some things better, obviously, but the only major problems were the death of Dishmab and Kosoth. Other than that, things are just fine.

Next year should be quite interesting. Now that I have a good cavern layer to work with, I can really get some work done. As soon as more migrants arrive, of course. At first I was a bit concerned about the downward passage. Creatures climbing up from the abyss would have been a legitimate threat, as they are powerful enough to easily defeat my military. I don't need wannamingos tearing apart my soldiers just yet. I was going to seal it off, but surprisingly the passage doesn't actually reach the cavern floor. So I'm going to leave it open for now.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: December 03, 2010, 02:41:51 am »

There was a Bridge&Pit kind of coup de'etat in Glitterhammers.

Accidentally, the main bridge, over a deep pit, was retracted several times, and 7 dwarves died. That bitch mayor isn't dead and the military killed the Duchess who tantrumed over this fact.

There goes my fun. *sigh*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: December 03, 2010, 03:44:20 am »

I just started a fort with one rule: Nobody does any work. Well, except making beds, I suppose.

Gonna survive on trading alone. If half the migrants starve, well then that just means the other half will hock their clothing for booze.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: December 03, 2010, 04:51:40 am »

Late Autumn of 504 in the Barony of Ringquest, pop. 138  fps 20(16)

A barony at last! We've been declared a land of the realm, and my original mayor was promoted to Baron. He's easy to get along with.

The chief challenge this season has been keeping the forges running. With such a long labor path -- cutting and hauling trees, burning and hauling charcoal, smelting limonite, pig iron, and steel -- many opportunities present to bog the system down. Keeping on top of the material flows, and adjusting output of the smelters has been a delicate balance.

On a sadder note, one of the crew has entered a mood that won't be satisfied, so I've assigned a couple war dogs to keep him company in case he turns into a raging loon. Including infants, he will be the 7th dwarf to die in Ringquest.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:56:26 am by AngleWyrm »

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: December 03, 2010, 06:55:27 am »

Funny, my fort became a barony with only 1 sane dwarf left...

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: December 03, 2010, 07:43:10 am »

I just trained a War Dragon Raptor. Good times.

Edit: And War Wolf!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:44:48 am by Mudcrab »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: December 03, 2010, 11:00:41 am »

Spoiler: Ode to... (click to show/hide)
and they've also just fended off a siege. omfg. (note: i modded it only to turn off aquifers, exotics, and to make things get hot faster)

THIS IS FRIGGIN FUN!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: December 03, 2010, 12:17:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fail?
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 3842