Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106053 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8460 on: December 01, 2010, 08:08:51 pm »

Quote from: Internet Kraken
I was really hoping the dead dwarves wouldn't turn into ghosts. But of course, they did. I still don't have a graveyard dug out, and have no clue where I'm going to put it. So I can't bury the dwarves yet. Granted, I could just place the coffin anywhere, but that would kill me inner OCD for proper fortress design. It's not like the ghost is particularly dangerous. Just one that wakes people up with its screaming. Amusingly, that is the most fitting ghost for Dishmab's personality. If it was a murderous poltergeist I'd build a coffin right away, but I can deal with her haunting Reveredtour for a bit.
Maybe you should construct a memorial hall?
Quote from: Internet Kraken
And I don't know where the hell that elephant came from.
Sounds like a case of elephantitis.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: December 01, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »

Part 15 of my DF LP is up.

I was really hoping the dead dwarves wouldn't turn into ghosts. But of course, they did. I still don't have a graveyard dug out, and have no clue where I'm going to put it. So I can't bury the dwarves yet. Granted, I could just place the coffin anywhere, but that would kill me inner OCD for proper fortress design. It's not like the ghost is particularly dangerous. Just one that wakes people up with its screaming. Amusingly, that is the most fitting ghost for Dishmab's personality. If it was a murderous poltergeist I'd build a coffin right away, but I can deal with her haunting Reveredtour for a bit.

And I don't know where the hell that elephant came from.

You could just use a memorial slab.  Just place it wherever there's room, and when you DO have a designated coffin area you can replace it.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: December 01, 2010, 08:39:39 pm »

Started in a joyous jungle with a volcano. Caught a herd of unicorns with two traps. When time came to trade, one of them got loose due to myself not really understanding which item to choose from and not have the animal get loose. Unicorn proceeded to stab the handler in the arm, militia sent after it. One went to bed so it was just one dwarf chasing after with a crossbow because the idiot refused to pick up the bolts we assigned him. That dwarf led an epic battle into the magma chamber, aka the volcano, when the unicorn jumped in. Well that's one for the dwarves on the dodgy AI. Oh god I made a pun...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: December 01, 2010, 09:54:13 pm »

1 1/2 years in and moods haven't been very kind to me or to the denizens of Boltstorches.

The first mood was the possession of a migrant woodcrafter, yielding a 6000 db maple figurine. Use-fucking-less.

The second was a secretive mood hitting one of my founders, a stonecrafter. Who was already a Master Stonecrafter. And I get a hematite ring that's encrusted with hematite, menaces with spikes of hematite and has an image of some random jabberer... in hematite. FUUUUUUU--
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: December 01, 2010, 10:59:14 pm »

Early Autumn of 504 in the City of Ringquest, pop. 136   fps 22(17)

A tragic death struck the city of ringquest, when a baby was brutally impaled in the danger room recently. Observers report that there were no females in the military, so the mayor was found blameless. Safety concerns were expressed as to the need for the operation of such a dangerous facility in town, but the military has triumphed over many goblin ambushes without loss of life or limb. It was ruled by the Captain of the Guard that the training will continue.

In other news, a new wave of immigrants breaths fresh blood into the city, and the mayor scrambles to house the burgeoning population.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: December 02, 2010, 01:33:53 am »

Hmm.... Been busy with school and haven't had much chance to play over the last few months, Got .18 booted up a world, and embarked. But my rivers are filled with carp, I've heard tell that they're demon fish of nightmare once more, is this true?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: December 02, 2010, 01:45:31 am »

In the most recent siege of Claspedchurches by the foolish humans, the legendary axedwarf Meng Glinteye, the Fungi of Attacks, deemed that his usual tactic of merely lopping off limbs and heads was perhaps a bit too.... mundane. In order to try and cow the humans with fear into not attacking the fortress again decided to bite one's throat out. Instead of finishing it off, he left it to be pummeld by the recruits while he went and slaughtered the rest of the siege.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

jonny211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: December 02, 2010, 02:38:10 am »

I'm continuing my dwarfineering project to cast my entire fortress from Obsidian, using part of the caverns I've dug the cast shape and am digging from the surface to bring light to the top level of the obsidian block where my dining hall will be located, topped with a green glass roof.

I plan to build a goblin walk the plank setup, prisoners will be dropped from near the surface onto the green glass roof for the enjoyment of the diners underneath.

All was going well until Urist McNumpty hit damp stone and kept on digging.... OMFG an aquifer... blub blub blub.

I had to savescum.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: December 02, 2010, 06:06:40 am »

Windtunnel hits year 6, with the ceremonial Mid-Autumn clearing of the piles of rotting goblins from both gates.

It's been a while since they attacked; I lost two dwarves last assault, as a Siege Engineer would not get out from under my security bridge, despite being ordered to move a few hundred rocks in the deep chambers... And a half decent armourer went to bury a slaughtered kitten, right in the middle of the invading goblins.  Managed to lead them in a long chase, but got killed just before the (now half decent) militia arrived.

Militia all good, except for the bowdwarf who beats opponents to death with his (*#iron bow#*). I would object, but he's got a fair swag of kills so far.... His mate in the archery squad seems to have found a steel battleaxe, and is now Kubuk Bloodworks the Infamous Radiance of Visionaries, and seems to have made an art of slicing opponent's noses off. I have three trapped goblins with no noses. Strange.

Managed to tunnel from the first cavern to the magma sea (at z-level 90!) early on, so backtracked and found cavern level 2, which I am completely walling off.  Took about a year but it looks almost finished, with no masons on the wrong side.

Have also have had useless artifacts, and all except two have been possessions; I have only a legendary leatherworker and a clothier to show, and aside from a half decent weapon rack and armour stand, I have a cave spider silk face mask, a cave spider silk face veil, a gazelle leather trumpet, and, of course, a donkey bone throne with no ornamentation.  And a marble earring.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: December 02, 2010, 07:42:04 am »

i am approaching the end of my 4th year.
the place is a mountain and then flat plains with a brook on the opposite side, ive had no fey moods, no new nobles bar sheriff and mayor, and have dug into hell and subsiquantly floored it off promnto before anything flew out. i feel proud to have survived my first encounter with hell.
a recent goblin seige left me with a tone of cave crawlers and jabberers as 'prisoners' i dont know if their tameable, mail me if so.

the recent goblin seige also killed a hydra that showed up... with no losses 0.o
in other forgotten beast news: 3 of my miners beet a giant mouse with mandables half to death that then got wailed on by my millatery clad all in steel. who i forgot to give swords x) when the first sword dorf came it died pritty fast. the combat report was nearing 200 pages.

this is my first successfull fortress and its got 146 dorfs in it, after just 4 years.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:14 am »

One of my Steel-Clad dwarf's just killed a 1050 year old dragon with a wooden training mace.... On his own.... Ridiculous

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: December 02, 2010, 09:03:47 am »

Latest news from The Lonely Fortification:
!!MAGMA!!

I've got the forges set-up and steel production begun. Now my militia of 20 can finally kill of those annoying frogmen and.... Oh wait! Nobody showed up this spring to trade. Also had another dwarf get moody and make...a mudstone cadaver. ;-; Population keeps rising as more dwarfs are drawn to this place of riches and food. (Seriously have over a thousand units of booze and prepared food right now.) Now I'm going to put them to work covering the upper level of the fort, making a tower on said upper level, and setting up my first obsidian farm. I'm ready for FUN!  :D

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: December 02, 2010, 09:54:13 am »

Speargorged has survived an ambush now. Some of the ambushers were caught by the cages, but there were too many for the cages to capture all. I sent my Captain of the Guard to lure them into the Hall of Ouch, which he succeeded in doing. Unfortunately, he was struck by a spear in the process and died. One or two civilians died as well, when a goblin lasher dodged through the hall and dropped by the barracks. There, he was held occupied by two heroic dogs until my military arrived. The stastics seem to be;

Goblins
2-3(?) Dead
4-6(?) Captured
1 Wounded

Speargoged
3 Dead
At least 2 wounded

Not bad. And only a single dwarf is below "Content". Now I have to decide what to do with the captured goblins. Maybe disarm them and dump them in a memorial hall to Captain Onul Erarcog.

EDIT: Sweet!

"Ingularel, "Seasonwaters", a limestone mug

This is a limestone mug. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with copper and iron, decorated with horse bone and encircled with bands of limestone. This object menaces with spikes of limestone and giant cave spider silk. On the item is an image of waves in hematite. On the item is an image of Amost Copperbowed the dwarf and dwarves in cougar leather. Amost Copperbowed is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Amost Copperbowed to the position of Queen of the Mine of Cathedrals in 197. On the item is an image of thick crescents in warthog leather. On the item is an image of Seasonwaters the limestone mug in horse bone."

That was crafted by a bedridden axedwarf that got possessed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:09:35 am by Serio »

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: December 02, 2010, 11:01:07 am »

My fortress has become a necropolis and the dead outnumber the living there is a lot of FUN going with al the dead berserker dwarfs that have ripped some limbs  :(
To my master miner they costed him a leg and to my bone a doctor a hand :(

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: December 02, 2010, 01:08:35 pm »

Got sieged by two squads. The strange thing is, as soon as they got within 20 squares of my fortress they just broke ranks and started scrabbling around in random directions. Eventually I got tired of waiting for them to make up their minds and sent the military out - and the goblins started fleeing despite the SIEGE tag remaining.

This wasn't a siege, it was a ridiculous rout. The only injuries were from counterattacks, and most of THOSE were from the "Lord" goblins.

At some point I noticed that one of the enemy squad leaders, a mace lord, had lost his foot at some point and was crawling toward the map edge. I thought I'd send a few squads to kill him and grab all the *loot* he was carrying. I expected it would be rather simple, what could one crawling goblin do?

All that was from dodging and counterattacks. Dwarves, I am disappoint.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 3842