Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106100 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8355 on: November 28, 2010, 05:16:40 am »

After exploring the caverns, I have discovered the dominant native species is Crundles. over a dozen so far have shown up, a handful of which have already fallen into the cage traps.

Does designating caged animals still do that thing where the dwarves take the cage and leave the animal free?

If it does, I'll just build a pit to put all the Crundles in, for the purpose of dropping prisoners into.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: November 28, 2010, 06:14:05 am »

during a tantrum...my miner just cut off both hands of my glassmaker with his pick..no other damage...just two hits..and two severed hands....now i have a dwarf that does nothing but eat, sleep and blink.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: November 28, 2010, 06:30:40 am »

A Forgotten Beast destroyed the first pump in a 12-odd-pumps stack. I was about to finish building the last one.
Sooooooo... here we go again. Wonder if we'll get safely some water in the fort before we abandon it.
In other news, I caught an Ettin in a cage trap before she could lay a hand on a building or a dwarf! Hurray! The training squad was extremely happy to see the cage open to her ugly faces and gleefully slaughter her. Merry Christmas, guys! :,)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: November 28, 2010, 10:08:29 am »

highlight of first 2 years releasedlabours so far - secretave mood bowyer turns legendary. granted, not much value in a 3 log bow, but now all my soldiers (hell, maybe all my dorfs if i can be arsed organising it - maybe later when desperation kicks in) can have a masterwork crossbow... the first ten were tested on some monkey or other that showed up en masse. they died under what can only be descirbed as a hail of bone bolts. monkeymeat for tea tonight and everynight. now i am less scared of the elephants in the hills.
This is a blank sig.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: November 28, 2010, 10:41:15 am »

Captured the human leader of the goblins. Also, forgot to raise the bridges so a titan slipped in. Now several dead slaves and the noble rooms function as a temporary jail now.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: November 28, 2010, 11:42:15 am »

Had a seige last night. It was mild as these things go, 8 or 9 goblins, one riding a giant toad. They ran afoul of my weapon and cage traps, and the rest ran away. This left me with 4 captive goblins and the giant toad, and 8 dead dwarves of my 70-dwarf fort.

Put one of the goblins into an arena room with a cage holding a war dog, war giant jaguar, war grizzly and war elephant. The battle went on once the lever was pulled for a good couple of months, and the goblin was coming out triumphant. I swear he was regenerating as fast as they could hurt him. So I started channelling down from the surface over that arena room to turn it into a pit. The miners were fast and efficient...until we got to the level over the goblin lasher. Had about a third of the room left when they started freaking out about the goblin below who couldn't even touch them. They went back to work but must have been distracted by the gobbo, because next thing I know there's a cave-in. One miner was badly broken up, still on the level above the lasher. The other had tumbled into the arena room, unscathed.  I start working at removing the wall behind the door so as to get my legendary miner out of there and it turns out my worry was unnecessary. Never seen anyone use a pick to gut someone before.  Soon enough the goblin is dead, and the miner is fine. The other miner wound up dying from infection after a visit from my surgeon.

A visit from a rather humanlike giantess followed, and she too wound up in a cage trap. I think my mixed herd of warbeasts sort of herded her into one. I renovated the arena turned pit, adding menacing spikes and testing it out on assorted kittens to judge impact. Meanwhile the mayor kept annoying me in his fetish for sterling silver, which we had none. Upon completing the pit, I aded a little overhang, put in bed, tables and chairs, and assigned it to the mayor. Somehow the door wound up locked and the door walled in after he went inside to store some of his stuff. Wonder how that happened?

What followed was sheeer !fun!. Goblins raining in from the sky, two of them impaled or badly injured and promptly dying. A few elephants added in. The mayor didn't survive, so now I have one goblin left in the pit, filled with bits of goblinite, kitten partts and the dead mayor's corpse. The giantess never made it to the pit, making a bid for freedom when I was trying to get her over there. Luckily the elephants mobbed her and killed her in the kennel room. Lesson learned, next time the monster is going to be installed in its cage, waiting the next mayor to tick me off.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: November 28, 2010, 12:19:40 pm »

After exploring the caverns, I have discovered the dominant native species is Crundles. over a dozen so far have shown up, a handful of which have already fallen into the cage traps.

Does designating caged animals still do that thing where the dwarves take the cage and leave the animal free?

If it does, I'll just build a pit to put all the Crundles in, for the purpose of dropping prisoners into.
If you place all the cages and link 'em with a lever, you can release them all in a pit.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: November 28, 2010, 01:59:17 pm »

You know when its just hectic?

I don't really know whats happening in my fort...

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: November 28, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »

20 war dogs killed by a single goblin axeman, but this goblin crossbow dude can't even handle a single cat. Funny considering he just killed the titan that killed 20 of my dwarves. So he deserves this torture/humilation I suppose. 

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: November 28, 2010, 03:17:36 pm »

With the fun ending Doomringed had at the hands of a single, amateur goblin lasher that managed to sneak past my defences, I figured it'd be best to set up a trap system. This new trap system should be able to take care of any unwanted visitors trying to access Speargorged. Invaders will have to get past a pair of double gates, followed by 8 cage traps. Another pair of gates, with a hallway of 40 serrated iron discs behind it, follows that. Should they manage to get past that, there's still a last pair of gates they'll have to get through, and by that time my military should have been mobilized.

This being Dwarf Fortress, I suspect the entire system will fail spectacularly.

(I'm considering removing four of the serrated iron discs to make space for a fourth pair of gates that would trap any intruders in the Hall of the Ouch.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:19:37 pm by Serio »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: November 28, 2010, 05:08:25 pm »

Part 11 of my LP is now up.

Really don't have much to say about this update other than fuck cave kraken. I never had a problem with them until this LP. Though if my idiot militia had actually stuck together rather than run off on their own this wouldn't be an issue. I'm planning on installing a few cage traps to protect the fort temporarily, as I'm sure the remaining cave kraken will inevitably path to Reveredtour.

Food stockpiles continue to drop with no way to replenish them at the moment. My cook refuses to butcher any of the dozens of corpses lying around Reveredtour, the lazy fuck. I'll have to build a well to make up for the lack of drinks to. And I still haven't breached the second cavern layer. This is wonderful.

Anyone have any advice on what to do when you start running low on food but don't have a skilled farmer?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:23:43 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: November 28, 2010, 06:50:12 pm »

In an effort to look for more fun, and a justification of looking for magma, gulfcraft has started to dig deep. The first cavern was breached  rather innertly, with no less than 18 z levels to fall until I would hit an underground lake. It was covered with a floor tile, and I dug in another spot all the way down to the second cavern. The second cavern was breached through the side of a wall, which was also easily covered with a floor tile and a wall. Here I found a pool of magma, also known as a a volcano that didn't get to the surface. Magma makes dwarves happy.

edit: I just realized it's on a perfect z-level for obsidian mining. water plus magma RIGHT next to each other.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:54:47 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: November 28, 2010, 07:52:40 pm »

Just got attacked by a forgotten beast, a giant blob made of fire. It killed a few dwarves, but some of my squad intercepted it. Despite being mostly last minute replacements after a chaotic battle with a goblin seige, they managed to kill it. By which I mean one of them walked up and punched it so hard it exploded.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: November 28, 2010, 08:06:16 pm »

started a new fort in 31.18. Realised that not only do the ponds freeze, the lake to the north freezes over. An entire frozen lake. Oh, I need ideas about what to do with a freezing lake... In a biome which has pretty snow in winter. How charming.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: November 28, 2010, 08:07:10 pm »

During the first year of my fortress, one of my hunters was fatally stabbed in the feet by a unicorn. Since crutches don't work, he laid in his hospital bed resting. For almost three years.

In the meantime, a giant cave spider decides to walk into my cage trap. I finally decided to euthanize the hunter with the spider. So I set up a cage trap in the door way, put the cage in the room, and attached a lever. Someone pulled the lever and the spider ran out.

The spider immediately proceded to attack the resting hunter, using its webs and injecting him with poison. For seventy nine pages, the spider injected the dwarf with venom and tore some muscles in the head.

Spoiler'd for size
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 3842