Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106226 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8325 on: November 27, 2010, 10:00:24 am »

I have a dwarf who runs my metal industry all by himself- legendary maxed out stats in all categories of metalwork.
He's also runs the lever system.  Handy to have a dwarf that does nothing but smith and pull levers.  I chute food and stuff to him.
He has three months to live.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: November 27, 2010, 11:35:05 am »

After two years of engineering screwups, I finally managed to install a drowning pit just behind my fortress gates, powered by a pair of waterwheels safely behind fortress walls. It worked perfectly (save a minor flooding accident because a rock was forcing a door open). With three levers I could control the flow of water into and out of the trap, and of course open the bridge of Gold Bars that drops invaders to their watery doom.

Then winter came and froze the waterwheels powering the pumps. *facepalm*

Heh. It's a "Golden Gate-bridge".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: November 27, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »

A new mayor has been elected.

The new mayor is the first tantrumer in the fortress.  The first real criminal.  He destroyed an integral defensive raising bridge during an ambush, punched bit a fortress guard, and kept punching his own dog while chained up in jail. Until his sentence was increased to more than 100 days in prison.

He became mayor WHILE STILL IN PRISON.  He also gave his first mandate from there...for a millstone.

That musta been one hell of a campaign speech to get elected with that background.

EDIT: He has been released from jail, but he had a beating racked up from all his in jail violations against his own dog.  He got released and immediately ran to his room for a nap.  The fortress guard finally caught up to him when he was in his bed sleeping and the guard BLUDGEONED HIM REPEATEDLY IN THE HEAD for the beating.  I think I know who was the one who lost the election.

(the mayor lived because the guards are only using glorified wooden clubs, the mayor never woke up during the beating)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:12:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: November 27, 2010, 12:07:04 pm »

A new mayor has been elected.

The new mayor is the first tantrumer in the fortress.  The first real criminal.  He destroyed an integral defensive raising bridge during an ambush, punched bit a fortress guard, and kept punching his own dog while chained up in jail. Until his sentence was increased to more than 100 days in prison.

He became mayor WHILE STILL IN PRISON.  He also gave his first mandate from there...for a millstone.

That musta been one hell of a campaign speech to get elected with that background.
naw, all nobles are typically so corrupt, that the peasants form parties against them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: November 27, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »

2 vile forces of darkness have arrived.  Orcs and goblins.  3 squads each, both with trolls.

They are not friendly to each other.

There are two merchant caravans also outside.  Both with guards.

The surface has just erupted into pure chaos.  I think I''ll opt to keep my military inside for this one.

EDIT: And now the kobolds have shown up too,  It's like a world war here!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:44:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: November 27, 2010, 01:54:42 pm »

Got sieged. It was a bit more interesting than usual.

• The Goblins were just hanging around the other side of the brook. Not even their giant-bat-mounted bowgoblin leader was doing anything. So life in the fortress basically continued the same as usual except nobody was allowed to go out.
  • In an attempt to lure the goblins to attack convince the goblins to leave, I sent an expendable dwarf as bait an envoy bearing a token of tribute. I was hoping the poor bastard would run back to the fortress and bring the goblins with him the goblins would agree to work out peace terms. In the fortress. Beyond the trapped entry and drowning pit. Sadly only one goblin was stupid enough to follow willing to look into peace.
  • So I built a couple of catapults out the side of the mountain and started training siege operators. By the sixth rock launched a Goblin actually got hit, red-wounding his legs, yellow-ing his body, and blue-ing his guts and stomach. He left in between fits of vomiting and unconciousness; I'd like to believe he got hit in the jewels and was too ashamed to remain on the battlefield.
Eventually enough Goblins were injured in this manner that they decided to leave... just in time for the arrival of the elves.
  • One of my fighters injured from a prior ambush got antsy during the siege, and went fey. He crawled a couple inches at a time (every part of his left leg is messed up in some way) toward the craftsdwarf shop, where he started claiming the wood being held two floors above. And I use space-filling paths. Eventually he produced Kansas Kenasás, a wooden flute worth about 58k urists.
  • A hammerdwarf who was killed in action some time ago started haunting the fortress, also during the siege. I have no idea where her body, but she's claimed a tomb anyway.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: November 27, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »

My first 31.18 fort and what happens? Both my miners getting crippled in a cave-in, couldn't get any water to them because the stream was frozen over (so they'd both likely die before the thaw...), and no save prior to the cave-in... Looks like I'll be making a new fort after a few tweaks.

wisemanofhyrule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: November 27, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »

First successful strange mood. Its a jeweler and he wanted rough diamonds. Hmm.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: November 27, 2010, 03:24:41 pm »

Just cleansing my fort of useless animals as fast as I can.  That is to say, down 14-z into the second cave.

There's also a miner at the bottom.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: November 27, 2010, 04:20:01 pm »

Building HUNDREDS of beds. Freaking migrants. The worst thing is that most of them are useless. Bone carvers, planters, and THREE butchers. I mean really, who spends their entire life planting?!?!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: November 27, 2010, 04:28:27 pm »

I mean really, who spends their entire life planting?!?!
I suppose people who want a lot of stuff grown. Can you imagine that? Actually wanting 6+ stacks of boozeables and millables? That's just crazy.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: November 27, 2010, 04:43:28 pm »

Work on the Great Wall of Paddlepasses has commenced. I'll be giving this fort a nice big front yard, enough to stick a few outside fields, a statue garden, a pond for water, and of course my refuse pile and butcher's yard. Maybe I'll even throw a barracks/danger pavillion out there so my army can train for weather conditions. "When the gobbies come marching on again, hurrah! Hurrah!"

I'm also getting the hang of DF Reveal. I'm using it quickly to identify big veins of useful material and pockets of gems, designate tunnels TO said useful minerals, then turn it off and V Dig everything else. Since I forget what I'd been designating tunnels to, I get the joy of discovery without the hassle of failure or the can of worms.

No real cooks yet, so I've assigned my two peasants to learn the inside of a kitchen. They need the hobby, and the pantries need the storage space. I might also throw some more iron at the forge for picks; my miners are being worked to the bone.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:45:47 pm by proxn_punkd »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:(
Those dwarves and their damn mismatched artifact shoes. Oh well, at least I have a legendary armorer now.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: November 27, 2010, 04:54:37 pm »

Not cool bro, my father is a farmer.

Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8339 on: November 27, 2010, 04:57:30 pm »

At least you have an artifact shoe. All i have is an artifact floor hatch, and all it pictures is of dorfs toiling in my fortress. At least it was easy to make...

Not cool bro, my father is a farmer.

Sorry. What i mean is who spends their entire life farmin when they can slice off peoples testicles!
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 3842