Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105979 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8385 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:32 am »

19-person migration. I had 18 dwarves.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:43 am »

why hiding :>  .. reclaim the whole pile to unforbid  the stuff .. mass dump  .. after stripping cages with goblins might go to garbage dump too but are being kept closed so goblins stay inside their cozy cages .. and then massreclaim to get em back to animal stockpile ^^

To start, its really hard to understand what you're saying here. But I think I pieced it together.

Okay, you use Hide and Dump because that allows you to see what you're stripping - where else do you have scimitars and such set for Dumping and also Hidden? From this, you can selectively strip - if your military is already competent you might want to leave the goblin's armor on so they last longer and yield XP.

Also, mass dumping may or may not strip their armor and weapons. It may just toss them in their cages, still equipped and all. I'm not sure. Better safe then sorry, I say.
i questioned the hide  up there :)

ok .. i just said that i see no sense in hiding the stuff(explain again?) .. you dont wanna see it .. ok .. but if you melt it it doesnt matter .. i mean scimitars and daggers and large stuff and such will be designated for melt anyways with a single keystroke in the stockscreen as a whole :) or do you use scimitars or daggers for military?  but well if you need the extra marking :)

btw letting goblins have their armor is kinda ... well ... odd and abit counterproductive in matters training i find  .. except you want to train up crossbows really fast with wood or bonebolts on metal armor(in that case you may even leave them their shields to fasten the process... anything else is done way faster in dangerrooms .. and wrestling seem to not have any changed effectiveness in matters of enemy armor .. i may be wrong though

and ...after just having done above method on about 30 goblins/frogmen and warwolves just today in my fortress, i can truly say the dbc+dbd method strips the stuff then dumps the cages (sometimes) .. when done to a animal stockpile ... its the same like dumping seeds out of tamed animals cages :) no offence meant anyways ...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:33:53 am by schussel »

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: November 29, 2010, 11:37:08 am »

One of my military dwarfs went postal.
I have no idea why, but he took his silver spear, went into intensive care in the hospital and stabbed the 3 bedlocked dwarfs to death before the guards 'pacified' him.  ???

(This was actually nice as the dwafs has lost the ability to stand, - and no, I don't intensionally kill any worker or soldier in my forts.  8))
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: November 29, 2010, 11:45:29 am »

btw letting goblins have their armor is kinda ... well ... odd and abit counterproductive in matters training i find  .. except you want to train up crossbows really fast with wood or bonebolts on metal armor(in that case you may even leave them their shields to fasten the process... anything else is done way faster in dangerrooms .. and wrestling seem to not have any changed effectiveness in matters of enemy armor .. i may be wrong though

I have no idea but to me it seems like one-hitting a goblin with your axe VS killing a goblin in 10 hits would make it so the latter creates more fighting experience than the first one.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: November 29, 2010, 11:49:42 am »

i questioned the hide  up there :)

ok .. i just said that i see no sense in hiding the stuff(explain again?) .. you dont wanna see it .. ok .. but if you melt it it doesnt matter .. i mean scimitars and daggers and large stuff and such will be designated for melt anyways with a single keystroke in the stockscreen as a whole :) or do you use scimitars or daggers for military?  but well if you need the extra marking :)

btw letting goblins have their armor is kinda well odd and abit counterproductive in matters training in find  .. except you want to train up crossbows really fast with wood or bonebolts on metal armor anything else is done way faster in dangerrooms .. and wrestling seem to not have any changed effectiveness in matters of enemy armor .. i may be wrong though

and ...after just having done above method on about 30 goblins/frogmen and warwolves just today in my fortress, i can truly say the dbc+dbd method strips the stuff then dumps the cages (sometimes) .. when done to a animal stockpile ... its the same like dumping seeds out of tamed animals cages :) no offence meant anyways ...

This is the first and last time I will request the following:
First- Read my posts. Then read them again.
Second- Write complete sentences. Capitalization and periods function to mark off completed thoughts.
I find it offensive that you cannot or will not take the time and effort to read and respond in a coherent fashion. It shows a lack of respect to decorum and to me personally. I take the time to read your posts carefully, formulate my thoughts, and then write a response with proper grammar and formatting. You could should me the same courtesy.

As I have explained, twice no less, that (H)iding and (D)umping allows you to identify the goblin equipment in your Stocks screen and make a decision to dump it, melt it, whatever.

As I stated above-
Quote from: TheJackal

With only a Carpenter and Mechanic you can net some metal armor and weapons pretty fast, and train your military. Most of everything you get is inferior to what you can make later of course, but their weapons can be put into weapon traps, and armor melted or sold once you're making your own.

I will not repeat myself on the matter further.

Re: Why leave armor on the goblins?

Quote from: TheJackal
From this, you can selectively strip - if your military is already competent you might want to leave the goblin's armor on so they last longer and yield XP.

XP is earned by fighting goblins. If your military dwarf is already pretty good at killing goblins, an unarmored goblin will be killed quickly and give very little XP. If you leave the armor on the goblin, the goblin lives longer, the fight goes on longer, and your military dwarf gets more XP. I don't believe I can explain it any simpler than that.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: November 29, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »

I don't believe I can explain it any simpler than that.
the dwarf can kill the goblin more... ok... it levels faster :)
btw... it is rather amusing to write like that :) so maybe he just trolled... or something

and... i also had a female friend... that wrote like that... she seems to have gotten better... ok
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:30:29 pm by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: November 29, 2010, 12:16:07 pm »

why so offensive ... i was just questioning stuff ...

as for my writing style  ... well it's how it is ... dont reduce content because of style :P

well for first thing it is goblinite ... usually  it is used to be smelted down as most of it is rather base metal and bad quality ... no use for a standard military normally

and if you read my post you'd have seen that i accepted the armor keeping part on gobbos partially .. but the effect is quite negligible besides matters of wrestling and range weaponry .. both which can't be trained in dangerrooms (legendary on any weapon usually is achieved within few months in DRs) in fact training weapon skills besides unarmored or ranged is kinda overkill in magtter timecost and fun ... in  my eyes a mass wrestling 10 dwarfes vs 20 gobbos is more effective and statwise worth as having them hewing themselves stupid with wooden training weapons :>
but well if you like to strip selective .. do your thing .. why easy when it can be complicated :D
as long as goblins are not wearing standard steel equipment ... well ... not worth it in MY (<---) eyes

so stop being offended and do as you like .. i dont care anyways ...

*pushes thread back to old topic*

being tired of so many prisoners and caged animals ... i removed allmost all traps besides the entrance ones and started building additional large size bridges to launch invaders into the near mountain/volcano/river ...

i started to donate leverpullers points and with those better stuff in their rooms depending on score ... the best one(a soap maker(!!)) now has an artifact bed and throne in his 8*8 bedroom all graved with detailed reports of the last slaughterfest when 3 sieges met each other before the fortress gates :)

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:21 pm »

Ok, breaking up the arguement:
I thought if you moved cages the creatures inside escaped?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: November 29, 2010, 12:29:26 pm »

Ok, breaking up the arguement:
I thought if you moved cages the creatures inside escaped?

no... they don't :) they just escape if you drag them between differents cages...
and... if you try to sell them... at the trade depot... ok...
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: November 29, 2010, 12:31:49 pm »

that usually just happens if you do that with untamed/untameble creatures an/or prisoners when moving their cage to the trade depot or trying to switch them into another cage over another cage's menu (Q ..assign creature) 

dumping just dumps the full cage and their stipped unforbidden items on the garbage pile without any consequences.. recollectable with reclaim without problems

doo .. encased was faster :P

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: November 29, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »

I have a ballista set up, 15 cage traps and the Elven caravan just arrived.
Watch this space, and prepare for the application of !!Science!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:39:51 pm by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: November 29, 2010, 03:46:17 pm »

Hatchetbrew has a cavern complex going up to z -6. The main living complex is on z -4, for reference (though I'll probably stick a tree farm on z -2). I actually cracked the sucker while burrowing down in search of marble for steel.

Meanwhile, the elephants are breeding profusely. I started culling the adults and promptly used six stacks of elephant meat (100+) to buy out elf, human, and dwarf caravans for a year. I also have a plentiful amount of chimpanzees, mandrills, gibbons, a leopard, a giant leopard, dogs, cats, donkeys, bulls, a horse colt, and goblinite.

I dug out a magnetite vein/cluster and built a food stockpile there. It's already filling up. Skill faster, cooks!

ETA: Metalcrafter got a strange mood and seems to be calling for silk (he already nabbed some iron bars, stone blocks, and cut gems, and that's the last thing on his shopping list, so...). Let's go spelunking!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:31:15 pm by proxn_punkd »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: November 29, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »

Part 12 of my LP is up.

Not much happened this update, mainly because I anticipate the next update will be a big one that will eat out a huge chunk of my time. I am legitimately concerned about how I'm going to buy anything from the trade caravans. I don't think I have enough mechanisms to get anything beyond a few barrels of drink and food, let alone weapon and armor for Alath. One of the biggest drawbacks to making ocean forts is that it takes forever for me to get the metal industry up and running. This can result in the military be woefully underequiped, which is terrible when the goblins start showing up.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: November 29, 2010, 06:53:28 pm »

First year of Fort Tetothdumed (The Lone Fortification) and everything is running smoothly so far except for one tiny thing.
The first caravan I got in the summer were frogmen and turtlemen. I traded for all they had and then came a group of snakemen and lizardmen traders. All of sudden, these new guys start dying off and running in fear. I take a closer look and notice that the turtlemen's guards are attacking the snakemen and lizardmen. Apparently, they're at war. First time this kind of thing has happened.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:32 pm »

CHIMPS

CHIMPS EVERYWHERE

also turns out I had silk thread handy so all I needed to do was build a loom.  :-X
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 3842