Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126347 times)

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6150 on: September 18, 2010, 12:52:16 pm »

was this through a candy floss deposit
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: September 18, 2010, 01:04:07 pm »

I have a very expensive platinum crossbow thanks to my latest mood, and I got a dwarf to pick it up AND wear armor at the same time.  Wonder if it's any good for beating down goblins.

I'm not sure if this is thematically appropriate, disturbing, or both.

I'm gonna go with horrifying/fascinating, and second the request for raws.

The Cave Swallow and the Farmer, a play in one act [...]

XD

The woodcutters drop their axes because dwarves refuse to use their "civilian labor" weapons in the military, I've been told.  I lost a bunch of woodcutters that way...
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: September 18, 2010, 01:08:40 pm »

I've been letting worldgen run for about twenty minutes or so now (I'm waiting for a large region) just checked on it and the location it was over was called "The Dwarven Mountain Halls of Inethnir: The Last Axe".
Are places with cool names like this rare? Or have I  been missing out on them all this time? When the world finishes genning I think I definitely have to at least visit there in adventure mode, if nothing else.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:14:40 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6153 on: September 18, 2010, 01:17:57 pm »

Horrifying screams indicate a normal cave?

I never really got attacked by underground dwellers that demolished my dorfs like that , of course I never dug so deep...I through the screams indicate just a bigger number of enemies...not enemies that rip the head off my woodworker and bring it on the top of my fortress. Oh god.

I mean I opened the hell before but what could happen ? My miner to fall in magma ? Well, I WAS WRONG. PURGE THE UNCLEAN.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:20:16 pm by Dbuhos »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: September 18, 2010, 01:38:23 pm »

The woodcutters drop their axes because dwarves refuse to use their "civilian labor" weapons in the military, I've been told.  I lost a bunch of woodcutters that way...

I think I just found a solution to this - don't specify a weapon in their uniform. My miner just eviscerated a Reacher that was harassing him when I drafted my starting seven into a uniformless squad and told them to kill it. It's just like in 40d - tell them to fight unarmed and they'll use their civilian weapon.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: September 18, 2010, 01:47:58 pm »

My legendary forger (all metalworking skills maxed) was punished for not meeting a production order.  Because my dwarves don't feed prisoners (even though all 125 have feeding turned on) and they end up starving to death, I thought I'd deconstruct all the chains in my jail and set him free.  Bad idea.

Upon getting free, the captain of the guard immediately came along and chopped the forger's head off.  Then, another perfectly innocent axedwarf was declared guilty of the murder!  So now, the captain is beating the hell out of that dwarf and will probably kill him.

Update: the beating is over, now that the Captain hacked the innocent dwarf in the mouth, stuck it there, and twisted it around.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:49:51 pm by mrbigmuscles »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: September 18, 2010, 01:52:55 pm »

@KRAKEN, have you updated to .13? I know that immigration is a bit futzed up in the new version, especially with regards to "Your fortress is a death trap" spam. Not that its terribly inaccurate in your case.

No. The idea of using DF without Therapist is insane to me at this point.

Also I've found that crossbows are quite effective against most zombie fish so long as you use some kind of metal bolt. Iron will do if it's just a stingray.

Really? Well, 2 miners have died in the pursuit of my magmafall, and I will be deep in the cold cold ground before I let them die in vain! Rule of Cool and all that.

In other news, I am also happy to see that dwarves engrave their Gods!!!! I have an engraving of a goddess travelling! If that is also the same for statues, we can finally create proper temples and shrines for our gods with the proper statues!

I've found that dwarves who are "Ardent worshippers of X" will engrave and craft statues and figurines in the image of their patron deity. I once had a mason who was an ardent worshiper of a goddess of marriage and death (and something else) who took the form of a cave lobster. Interesting statues there.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: September 18, 2010, 02:21:12 pm »

Now that DT works with .13, I have upgraded. And as soon as I did, I recieved two migrant waves! This boosted Townbrush's population up to 32. I also drafted 2 new soldiers.

So everything seems fine, and then to goblin's decided to launch another siege. I suppose I should've expected this though. I ordered Townbrush to be thrown into lockdown. However, in Townbrush when something important needs to be done, nobody fucking does it. I even locked a guy inside the control room and he refused to pull the lever. So some trolls marched straight into the fort and beat my legendary mechanic to death before the military could reach them. The military then cut their way through the goblin horde in a glorious massacre. They were untouchable. I figured I could drive back the entire siege using them.

Then the humans decided to launch their siege as well. These morons are still determined to march to their death just because their liaison was killed by goblins. Well the Humans suck so they weren't a threat. Then I recieve a message. A message that always results in incredible anger and frustration.

"Ursit McBadass has drowned."

What the hell. They weren't even near the god damn ocean. After looking at the combat log, I find out what happened. A human swordsmen was knocked into a murky pool. So my legendary axedwarf decided to dive in and kill him, and then drowned as a result. Good job moron. And right after this everything starts to fall apart. My other legendary soldier isn't able to hold back the horde alone, and is cut down. This leave me with two novice fighters, whom were to slow to reach my soldiers before they began fighting. I ordered them to fall back, but the goblins were already upon them. One soldier tried to hold them off, but failed miserably. So now I've locked down Townbrush. Again.

Total casualties amount to a legendary mechanic, two legendary soldiers, one novice soldier, and a dwarven child. The child died because she ignored burrow restrictions and marched across the drawbridge when I ordered it to be retracted, causing her to plummet several Z levels. She landed in a pile of goblin and troll skeletons, and died a slow, painful death by suffocation in that pit full of vermin and corpses. I have no sympathy, since this was her fault.

So yeah, Townbrush's military is shit again. Plus all of them adamantine equipment is either in the ocean, in a murky pool, or outside with the goblins who are fortunately to dumb to wear it. I'm sure the undead and Forgotten Beasts will pick now to attack Townbrush.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: September 18, 2010, 02:29:55 pm »

Oh dear. That's... normal. Townbrush.txt is now 85.8 kb after removing all the forum code and adding this.

Could you post the raws for the Darnen? I'm trying to collect as many hostile entities as I can.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:32:01 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: September 18, 2010, 02:45:05 pm »

I don't think I've ever had a fortress go from industrious and fully self sufficient to tantrum spiral in such a short amount of time. I really gotta be careful when I open the front gate. My whole fortress poured out to gather the liaison's corpse and all his crap. I don't remember how many ambushes popped up after that but it was enough to kill enough dwarves to make some go berserk.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: September 18, 2010, 02:45:54 pm »

Oh dear. That's... normal. Townbrush.txt is now 85.8 kb after removing all the forum code and adding this.

Could you post the raws for the Darnen? I'm trying to collect as many hostile entities as I can.

No actually, because I deleted them. They're a horribly flawed race anyways. I'm probably going to mod them back in some day in the future, but not before I learn more about civs.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: September 18, 2010, 04:22:47 pm »

One of my military miners just killed the chief medical dwarf...  I have no idea why he killed the chief medical dwarf, he's been ecstatic ever sense he got to run out and kill all the humans.  Even more disturbing is that no one seems to care the corpse of the only diagnostician in the fort is on the ground next to them.

Well, there goes the neighborhood.  Apparently someones cat got outside while the military was off fighting a goblin siege (medical dwarf dies, 5 min later SIEGE).  That threw him over the edge.  So he pulled the lever on my not quite complete obsidian farm, the magma lever for the not quite complete obsidian farm.  My entire fort is on fire and covered in molten metal.  Everyone except the mayor and the military is dead (the nobles quarters were at a higher elevation from the obsidian farm).  Worst part is, I can't even salvage this I think =/  Every floor of the fort except one currently has magma running through it and the only way to shut it off is currently covered in magma.  Fun.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:43:44 pm by MountainGnome »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: September 18, 2010, 05:28:09 pm »

I removed orthoclase from diorite. Next embark:

Should be fun.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: September 18, 2010, 05:33:55 pm »

In The Assaulted Castles my first military is training as i  get the supplies to set up a danger room.  I dammed my river and rerouted it into the fort and i have about 40 things of coke 40 things of pig iron and a lot of flux so steel armor/weapons should be rolling out any time soon.  Oh and not even 2 years in and i have 56 dwarves.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: September 18, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »

That solves that question, but I still can't figure out why the farmer a) had a crossbow, and b) decided to calmly turn around and shoot death in the eye rather than run screaming.

This same farmer later drove a couple of warthogs off my above-ground farm with nothing but fists and pluck.

I should try breeding him.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 3842