Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129682 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5430 on: August 30, 2010, 04:48:46 am »

Portalrasped might be on its long slow way out. a militarty initially of 40 was increased to 60 after the first cavern decided to be less empty and throw dozens of elk birds at me - they were turned to ammo easily enough. then 3 FBs rock up, 2 were pretty weak, but the fire breathing lobster killed a few civs, and the snail with a hunger for blood got a few animals. the cave crocodile that followed these ate 2 miners. warned by this i increased my military to 80. this fell back to 30 after a series of gobbo sieges and ambushes, where thier bowgobbos proved annoyingly effectve. on the plus side, my war gorilla broke a lot of heads. my hospital was a thing of beauty, cleaning and suturing and dressing, and returning troops to action... granted some had less hands than before, but at least they can hold a weapon again, and it saves on gauntlets. however, this wasnt the beggining of the end...

what is bringing the fort to its knees was a few dozen troglodytes. seeing this as an opportunity to train my squad of recruits (led by a skilled speardwarf equiped with a flail that killed 2 of the FB's), off they go. and fail. despite bronze equipment  as a min and some steel items, they suffer 6 casualties (for varied reasons - one of the trogs ended up named (am now waiting for engravings of moldath beating the head of urist mccrapsoldier in with a steel high boot or some such), so i suspect he got a lucky hit on one then used one of the metal items he had on him when he was killed as an impromptu weapon) , causing much vexation amongst my civs as i chose perennial idlers who had lots of chums, and my militia commander loses all 13 of his war dogs. he goes absolutley mad and starts killing any dogs he can find - i have around 80 war dogs. well, i used to. now i have about 20. his actions cause many other dwarves to tantrum and go bezerk. i now have about half my depleted military in jail for assualt offences. might have to restrict all my civs to the jail and use it as a last stand if the gobbos show up.

my own fault for starting on a flatland really - hard to defend wide open spaces with traps, and the constant gobbo mbushes have made making a signifigant above ground fort costly...

next time i think somewhere with natural chokepoints might be a good idea.

TLDR: fort of 120 reduced to 80 by military shenangigans.
This is a blank sig.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:21 am »

You had 80 of your 120 as military, monkey?  :o

I just got saved by a dwarven trade caravan. The awesome thing was that the outpost liaison was dead and I'd stopped getting migrants for 2 seasons. A goblin ambush of 7 or 8 showed up in the middle of the construction of my moat when I had about 3 crappy military guys. All of a sudden, just before the turn of winter aswell, a dwarven caravan comes along. I was now crapping myself about a war with my own because a merchant had been killed.

A few minutes later, entrance walled off, I look to see the 2 merchant guards were taking on the 7 goblin ambushers. The swordsdwarf in the end took out 3 goblins, while cornered and took pretty much no injuries, while the other, a macedwarf, took out the other 4 and then fell unconcious in a pool of his own blood. He healed up though and my fort was saved :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:46:34 am by Cheese »

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: August 30, 2010, 10:29:31 am »

I have 5 children in my hospital. They've been there for a while.

My food industry has been put on hold. I have about 10,000 prepared lavish meals, and several thousand barrels of booze. (plus a thousand globs of tallow)

My military is murdering people at random.

Until they all died of infection from my pointy stick training room, that is.

My 150z magma pumpstack should be done soon. Then I build a water reactor.

I'm churning out masterwork steel weapons and armor. I'm going to conquer the caverns, and then, hell.

All because I have no one to fight. The mountainhome is the only civ left.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: August 30, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »

i'm starting a new fortress so im currently at the part were all the dwarves has many orders but no time to do them all so i sit and look at their parties :P

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: August 30, 2010, 12:14:17 pm »

I'm currently trying to build a system of archer towers and walkways to defend my fort from goblin siege and forgotten beast attacks from above ground. I'm also trying to figure how to stop my current forgotten beast frozen ichor epidemic that's killing all my children and some of my pets :\

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: August 30, 2010, 12:15:31 pm »

You had 80 of your 120 as military, monkey? 

yep. mostly as a result of having a nice fort of about 40 running smoothly with a small military - food production far more than consumption, nice small bronze industry, a master bone carver for trade goods and ammo, a master stone crafter for trade goods, a master clothier for more trade goods. didnt ned any more workers and there wa sonly so much hauling that needed doing.

anyway, since that last post things calmed down a little for a few seasons, then around 30 mounted gobbo archers in 3 squads led my macelords showed up with 10 trolls. i expected the end, but things worked out well. this caused the loss of my master dyer who was off hauling logs (now that took a lot of time and effort to train up!) and another not that useful herbalist, and then they decided to circle my firing tower enclosing my entrance. they were slaughtered. totally. about 20 gobbos died after their mounts were hit by very high quality elk bird and forgotten beast bone bolts, leaving them unable to fight back as they were turned to goblincolanders - leather armour really doesnt take bolts too well. i ended up with several master marksdwarves, several hundred free metal bolts which will no doubt be spammed away in training despite my orders to the opposite, and only one wounded recruit who along with his chum decided onrushing trolls were no deterrent for running out to go get the bolts left by the bleeding goblins. he wasnt fast enough (well, his mate outran him, which is all he really needed to do), but was saved by my war gorilla, who is becoming a local hero. all i need now is for sweet engravings of him ripping the arms of trolls to line my halls.
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:20 pm »

What would be the dwarf equivalent of tennis courts?

Serious answer: Deon has what he calls "rockball courts" in his mods.

Also serious answer: I think you need the elves. What else would you beat around with wooden rackets? Goblin parts would do in a pinch but the irony of hitting them with wooden rackets isn't there....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: August 30, 2010, 12:56:10 pm »

What would be the dwarf equivalent of tennis courts?

Serious answer: Deon has what he calls "rockball courts" in his mods.

Also serious answer: I think you need the elves. What else would you beat around with wooden rackets? Goblin parts would do in a pinch but the irony of hitting them with wooden rackets isn't there....

"Soldier, I have good news and bad news for you.
The good news is; you made the orcball team.
The bad news is; as the ball"

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: August 30, 2010, 01:20:31 pm »

I am still determined to make Townbrush work, even if most of the population is either insane or miserable. I'm still proceeding with my plan of constructing a swimming chamber for the military. I need this one soldier to be as powerful as possible, which means he can't drown to death whilst fighting the undead. However no matter what I do the fort just seems to slip further into chaos. I had to replace the mayor because the old one went insane.

To make matters worse, the zombie whales are back, interrupting what little work I'm actually able to accomplish. If they decide to attack I'm screwed.

EDIT: The Zombie Whales just moved into the fortress and are slamming Dwarves against the dinning tables.

EDIT 2: Haha oh wow. The miltia commander wastes 10 minutes "picking up equipment", charges at the whale, and then gets slapped in the face, causing him to fall into the ocean where he then drowned to death.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:31:52 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5439 on: August 30, 2010, 01:28:32 pm »

turtle up then get your mason/wood/glass workers to making more furniture. have engravers carve every single possible mountain tile.
Also, make more booze and meeting zones. more zones means less "forced to talk to someone annoying lately." thoughts.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: August 30, 2010, 04:05:34 pm »

I've heard the horror stories of the baron and his hammerer, and I've decided to build a magma chamber with a chamber underneath it that I could drain the magma into. I'll dig it a little bit off to the side so that I could dig a reservoir of water on top of it, and I can drain the water into it to create obsidian. My fortress will remain an idyllic anarcho-communist democracy and I will switch the main export from steel warhammers to obsidian crafts fused with the flesh and bones of nobles and hammerers to drive that point home. I'm wondering, is it possible to get your dwarves to write messages on the stone? I remember reading about boatmurdered and I read that there was a message on the entrance to the fort, it said 'WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!!! ABANDON ALL HOPE YE DORFS WHO ENTER HERE!!!' Was that actually there? If so, how do I do that? I'd love to write something on the wall above my drawbridge.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: August 30, 2010, 04:28:30 pm »

I think that was poetic license.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: August 30, 2010, 05:08:44 pm »

Just fought off another goblin ambush. Now I'm just waiting for immigrants to arrive so that my fortress will actually speed up a little. It's been four years now without any contact from the Dwarven civilization (despite the fact that they exist) - I wonder if they were wiped out after I embarked?

Anyhow, too much fortress, not enough dwarves. Everything takes forever to get hauled/built. The fact that the damned children keep throwing parties doesn't help. I'd kill the buggers, except at this rate I may need to expand the population through breeding :-\

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: August 30, 2010, 05:24:32 pm »

I think that was poetic license.

Although you can make a [N]ote of things or something, but it's not really the same. I sometimes use it to label my taverns and such, or if I've got a very specific stockpile. I always end up with at least one tavern called "The Bloody Marmot" for some reason. That name tickles me.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:37 pm »

I just had my third siege of this fortress right now. Of course when I am fighting it from above here comes a forgotten fire-breathing beast from below. At least I killed off the siege just in time for the forgotten beast or it would have been a total mess having to deal with 2 fronts. Let's hope this guys doesn't spill forgotten beast ichor or my population is gonna take another dive again(the first ichor-pandemic killed 20 or so dwarf children and animals.)
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 3842