Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129380 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5460 on: August 31, 2010, 03:38:54 am »

Well, portalrasped has fallen. Suprisingly it had almost nothing to do with enemy action. It was down to my own dorfiness really... I hit upon a smart idea of crating my own chokepoints using the first soil layer which i had only really utilised for a few small treefarms. I drafted a load of dwarves into a masonry corp, and proceded to build the first one, a small distance from my main way in. It consisted of a bunker with twin ballistae firing down a 40 tile walled walkroute, with ramps taking the walkway under this bunker through a heavily trapped killroom. this killroom had firing points for marksdwarves around it. above the bunker was a firing platform for more marksdwarves. construction was completed very quickly, and i felt i needed to adda ton of new masonry to merge my old firing tower entrance to the new beast of a gatehouse. this required the removing of exisitng masonry. of course, when ripping out some now obsolete fortifications i totally forgot that they were supporting a pretty large room for food, booze, ammo and the roof above it. this promptly suffered from too much gravity, and a massive cave in ensured. this killed: 18 marksdwaves stationed on the old tower while the new one was finished, 10 children tht were gleefully ripping out the old fortifications, 5 masons working on the bunker below, 4 engineers trapping the cavern beneath the bunker, a whole load (more than i could be bothered to count) war animals and animals waiting in the kennels (z level below...) and the entire population of my hospital, which at the time as 4 medical dwarves, 2 random sleepers, and 4 wounded troops (well, 2 of them were cripples with no legs).  there were many more serious injuries, but with a hospital full of caved in bunker i could do little to help them.

needless to say the survivors (this accident reduced my fort to 60ish...) were not happy with the loss of so many freinds and children. mass tantruming ensued, dorf on dorf violence broke out, and with a much reduced military the arrival of an FB then a siege (which waltzed and flew through my collapsed defences) was too much to take. the last to die was my baroness, who sensibly decided the best place to hide was in her golden mausoleum.

so, to conclude. dropping a huge firing tower through your hospital is funny, but has negative consequences. lesson learnt - check the z-level above before hitting d-n-enter...
This is a blank sig.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: August 31, 2010, 04:21:23 am »

One of my first recruits who sadly lost both arms in an ambush has been elected mayor.  His eight years of trying to store his kitten leather gloves have finally been rewarded!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: August 31, 2010, 04:51:09 am »

I finally got my pump stacks to work and have my well and moat up. I've finally got enough barrels to store all of my food and can now resolve the booze crisis caused by lack of barrels. Plus, I got my first wave of migrants on my 3rd spring, 19 in total, great news after thinking the dwarf civ was dead.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: August 31, 2010, 06:02:52 am »

Last fort pierced HFS and 30 axe/hammer/spear lord guys became 0 really really fast.

Trying an coastal embark for the first time.

I say first, but i'm actually on the third reclaim now. My ropes keep getting stolen and i still haven't finished a method to pump ocean water out and keep it desalinated. I think i'll have enough booze to make it this time though.

Edit: Nevermind, came back and apparently the sea level rose while i was gone and flooded the whole damned thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:15:41 am by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: August 31, 2010, 08:39:04 am »

In Inkdelights of the Road of Nails, I dammed and diverted the river to create a gold-paved, masterfully engraved entrance road to my fortress. In event of a siege, I open the floodgates and flush my foes down a natural waterfall cliff to their watery doom. Now all I need is to set up a magma pump to burninate their remains. I also have a spike-trapped killroom in case I feel like a bit of good, ol-fashioned butchery.
In other news, my countess keeps mandating crystal glass items, which I can't make, because of the rock crystal bug. Grr.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: August 31, 2010, 09:28:14 am »

Beervessel
Oh come on, with a name like that you were just asking for it to be destroyed in five seconds.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45:42 am »

Well, portalrasped has fallen. Suprisingly it had almost nothing to do with enemy action. It was down to my own dorfiness really... I hit upon a smart idea of crating my own chokepoints using the first soil layer which i had only really utilised for a few small treefarms. I drafted a load of dwarves into a masonry corp, and proceded to build the first one, a small distance from my main way in. It consisted of a bunker with twin ballistae firing down a 40 tile walled walkroute, with ramps taking the walkway under this bunker through a heavily trapped killroom. this killroom had firing points for marksdwarves around it. above the bunker was a firing platform for more marksdwarves. construction was completed very quickly, and i felt i needed to adda ton of new masonry to merge my old firing tower entrance to the new beast of a gatehouse. this required the removing of exisitng masonry. of course, when ripping out some now obsolete fortifications i totally forgot that they were supporting a pretty large room for food, booze, ammo and the roof above it. this promptly suffered from too much gravity, and a massive cave in ensured. this killed: 18 marksdwaves stationed on the old tower while the new one was finished, 10 children tht were gleefully ripping out the old fortifications, 5 masons working on the bunker below, 4 engineers trapping the cavern beneath the bunker, a whole load (more than i could be bothered to count) war animals and animals waiting in the kennels (z level below...) and the entire population of my hospital, which at the time as 4 medical dwarves, 2 random sleepers, and 4 wounded troops (well, 2 of them were cripples with no legs).  there were many more serious injuries, but with a hospital full of caved in bunker i could do little to help them.

needless to say the survivors (this accident reduced my fort to 60ish...) were not happy with the loss of so many freinds and children. mass tantruming ensued, dorf on dorf violence broke out, and with a much reduced military the arrival of an FB then a siege (which waltzed and flew through my collapsed defences) was too much to take. the last to die was my baroness, who sensibly decided the best place to hide was in her golden mausoleum.

so, to conclude. dropping a huge firing tower through your hospital is funny, but has negative consequences. lesson learnt - check the z-level above before hitting d-n-enter...

That was great fun to read, thanks! I also like the walled walkway ramping under a ballista bunker idea... hmmm!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:30 am »

Also my fort has just had NINE GOBLIN AMBUSHES. ALL AT ONCE. I might as well be under seige.
I had to close DF due to this, and the fact that there was a hole in my defenses that let them walk right on in and kill everything..

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: August 31, 2010, 11:34:41 am »

Also my fort has just had NINE GOBLIN AMBUSHES. ALL AT ONCE. I might as well be under seige.
I had to close DF due to this, and the fact that there was a hole in my defenses that let them walk right on in and kill everything..
I got 2 at once, and about 5 snatchers aswell, seems to be a bit screwed up. I heard you usually get sieges after ambushes and I already had an ambush earlier. I've got my bridge raised anyway, so I'm fine aside from having to trap a human caravan inside since I don't have enough traps to deal with them or a military trained or armed enough. I can self-sustain though, atleast for a while.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: August 31, 2010, 11:43:47 am »

Human caravan and diplomat all got slaughtered.

I'd better hurry up and equip my military before they seige me.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: August 31, 2010, 12:15:25 pm »

Just lowered the bridge after the human diplo. went stark raving mad. He's now running up the stairs, probably out the door, through the goblins and off back to the humans, rambling random stuff.
E: Nope, pulled bridge backup and he just ran into the moat, both guards dead, but merchants still alive. I'm so screwed  ::)
I lost like 7 or 8 dwarves aswell :/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:37:15 pm by Cheese »

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #5471 on: August 31, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »

Got a few goblin ambushes in the early spring this year, then some migrants arrived, making up for the loses in my military. There was an expert engraver to help on the baron's/captain of the guard's rooms. Also, a better diagnostician and a better record keeper came that replaced the old CMD/bookkeeper. Then the elves came and brought 4 goblin ambushes with them. I traded a bit with first though, and sent out my full military in hopes of saving the elves.(I think they might be getting tired of having their caravans dieing...) My militia commander with 40+ notable kills and 36 other kills was killed by a dwarven lasher with the goblins. Major sadz there and my guard captain also died. I replaced them both, and the new captain of the guard died too, but the new commander just picked up the old one's -copper battle axe- and killed over 15 goblins. Sadly about half of my military died and the darn elves ran away after a few of their merchants were killed, so I probably just hid in the fortress for a while first, caught some goblins in the cage traps, and thrown them in my 15 z-level pit...

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: August 31, 2010, 01:43:21 pm »

Made a new fort. I think I may end up trying to conquer HFS with this one...

This place has literally 3 layers of nothing but obsidian. And the first migrant wave gave me a high master rock crafter. The dude is now legendary, and is rapidly filling up my stockpiles with masterwork obsidian crafts and stuff.

And oh look, Diggy the miner has been possessed, took over a mason's workshop, grabbed some native copper and started working! Good ol' Diggy.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: August 31, 2010, 02:49:50 pm »

One of my first recruits who sadly lost both arms in an ambush has been elected mayor.  His eight years of trying to store his kitten leather gloves have finally been rewarded!
That's a sig.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »

A wave of Migrants finally came to Townbrush. It was a small one, but I'll take anything I can get at this point. I'm trying to fill back in the holes of various professions. The metal industry is still a mess,and we lack haulers and masons. Though the other professions are beginning to stabilize.

Meanwhile, the Captain of the Guard continued to throw Dwavres into jail for crimes they committed during the great tantrum. And when he couldn't do that, he beat them to death. During this time the Zombie Whales began to swim towards Townbrush. I was bombarded with job cancellations of Dwarves terrified by the shadows in the water. And because the chat log was suffocating under this job cancellation spam, I didn't notice the message "Urist McMason has been struck down". So imagine my horror when I open up the units screen, only to find 3 legendary zombie whales listed there.

The Zombie Whales had, at some point, entered the fortress and began crushing the terrified civilians. So I called upon the military to fight the undead menace. I expected them to be about as successful as soldiers in a Godzilla movie, but they did surprisingly well, slaying all of the whales without sustaining injury. Perhaps there is some hope in this new batch of recruits. But now there are even more corpses lying on the streets of Townbrush. I'll have to double coffin production.

The Whales are now one of the greatest enemies of Townbrush, alongside the Darnen and Ogres.

Townbrush Fun! fact: If I dig another mausoleum floor to store more coffins, my diggers will punch a hole straight into into the mines. The dead are actually taking up to much room.

EDIT: After looking at some Engraving made by my clearly traumatized Engraver, the Darnen attack apparently has a name. The great attack that has lead to the destruction of Townbrush is known as "The Sugar of Executing".

.......really strikes fear into your heart.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:33:41 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 3842