Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120874 times)

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5205 on: August 23, 2010, 11:03:57 pm »

Found the perfect embark. Sand, limestone, and gabbro. Did I mention the flat volcano, in a warm shrubland? With a handy brook? I was in love.

My longest fort so far (at 3 years...) is progressing well. Magma smelters and forges have been assembled, and to commemorate this glorious occasion I am making a solid gold well for the hospital. It will have to be studded, of course... I need to arrange some fancy stockpile work there.

I have also (due to use of reveal, I hate surprises) discovered that my clownite tube has no hole. Ever. It starts almost entirely in the SMR before descending 10 levels. Wee!

My fort is a very vertical design. 31x31x16 (so far) Urists. The first level is above-ground farming set up for food. Next, 4 levels of storage followed by 2 workshop levels, the bottom one specifically for magma work. Said magma is the next layer, followed by a trainig workshop and hospital have been set up. Or will be, once construction finishes. Next is my 2z dining hall and statue garden. Lastly 3 floors of bedrooms, with another 2 reserved for more space. All dwarves get 4x3 rooms, it's only fair... No nobles yet, so no need to worry there.   
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: August 23, 2010, 11:20:06 pm »

Any chance of getting the World Gen Params & location of the embark site? (I'm fickle, I already have about a dozen forts saved before their 1st summer).

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I was going to be immortalized in a legendary artifact statue, I don't think a statue of me being terrified by rats would be my first choice.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: August 23, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »

It's coming.

Awesome.

The humans managed to take out quite a few trolls, mounts and speargobs before succumbing...  and EXPLODING.  There are jaguar spleens and cougar livers and giant tiger intestines and {Horse left ears} and ({cave spider silk socks}) and ({large bronze low boots}) four squares away from and a z-level above the combat zone...
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: August 23, 2010, 11:41:06 pm »

Any chance of getting the World Gen Params & location of the embark site? (I'm fickle, I already have about a dozen forts saved before their 1st summer).

Soon as I get home. By the way... I did do some raw editing to eliminate "useless" layers (almost all the non flux sedimentary, and a portion of the rest.) Nothing is truly missing, but I agree it's cheating. I'll put the modded raw up too.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: August 23, 2010, 11:55:50 pm »

If I was going to be immortalized in a legendary artifact statue, I don't think a statue of me being terrified by rats would be my first choice.

Hehe.  The other day I had one of a guy surrounded by flies... I don't even know how they pulled that off.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: August 24, 2010, 12:19:30 am »

Soon as I get home. By the way... I did do some raw editing to eliminate "useless" layers (almost all the non flux sedimentary, and a portion of the rest.) Nothing is truly missing, but I agree it's cheating. I'll put the modded raw up too.

Thank you, I'm sure others will appreciate it too.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: August 24, 2010, 12:27:05 am »

Started up another fort on a volcano island. Because starting without magma... just isn't fun any more.

Maybe I can convince my hunters to left a few of the local wildlife wander into cages before they brutally drive everything on the island to extinction this time. Maybe not.

I've mined out the stockpile and workshop areas, and have a nice magma dumping pit for my dwarves to throw stuff into. Supposedly, this salty island has an aquifer, so I can use that for water and obsidian casting.

Edit: Ergh. One of my idiot miners thought it would be a good idea to dig the channel down to the magma pipes while standing on said tile. Poor guy got incinerated because his buddy was too slow mining out a "down" staircase.

Well, at least I don't have to deal with a corpse. Let the Fun begin.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:28:54 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: August 24, 2010, 12:43:08 am »

You could try:
A) Disabling the Hunting Labor until you've got your ranch started.
or
B) Not starting with any Hunters (which does cost you all that free kit admittedly).

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: August 24, 2010, 12:55:54 am »

It is vertical.
??? so it is. My apologies.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: August 24, 2010, 01:01:37 am »

You could try:
A) Disabling the Hunting Labor until you've got your ranch started.
or
B) Not starting with any Hunters (which does cost you all that free kit admittedly).
I usually end up designating useless migrants (read: Potash Makers) as hunters to have them eventually join the crossbow squad. In fact, that's how I do most of my crossbow training - via hunting or on trapped goblins.

The fort is going well; mining has begun on the dining hall and on a hospital. A migrant wave has arrived, replacing the failure of a miner dwarf that magma-drowned himself to death.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: August 24, 2010, 01:20:16 am »

OH GOD CLOWNS.

I might actually be able to kill them - they're sealed into the underground in such a way that they don't have access to the caves, so I could probably dig back down and design some interesting architecture for them to play with.

On the other hand, my FPS is now six. And I'd been being careful to keep it high in this fort, too.  :-\
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: August 24, 2010, 01:21:36 am »

When Laboredanus became a County (involving the Baron levelling up to Count, and in our case it was a Countess), it was decided to ignore the laws of physics and begin something strange and beautiful. They called it the "Physics-Ignorance Room".

A vast pit was dug, larger than had been dug before, to create an underground space. The glass, charcoal and sand industries were ramped up, and much to-do was started. A single staircase was all that was necessary to hold up this vast edifice... some dwarven engineers weren't sure whether this was due to extreme faith in Armok or simple ignorance of physics making the impossible possible. After the pit had sat for a few seasons to allow wild plants to begin sprouting, the pit was floored over with green glass, and the farmers set to work creating a bountiful wonderland of exotic flora.

Meanwhile, with the staircase built, the second phase... the production of a tower... began. Five stories of marble rested on the glass staircase, each glittering with gem windows and full of sculpture and thrones. At the top, a glass jut was created, which stuck out into space for sixteen squares (I don't know what that equates to in human feet), and a large glass observation bubble was built. On top of the glass bubble was sixteen iron statues.

A copper cage was situated, and filled with goblins, and it was from there that parties celebrating the final dwarven victory over their greatest enemy, Physics, were held. Dozens of dwarves crammed into the glass chamber, drinking and gorging themselves, cackling at their own hubris.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: August 24, 2010, 01:37:54 am »

I have now killed two of my king's objects of worship.  He apparently doesn't care...although that had to be one awkward post-combat conversation.  "I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but we killed one of your gods."
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: August 24, 2010, 02:38:05 am »

Right now in my fort, I'm working on butchering all but two of my cats... or finding ways to kill them, like drown them in pools, why, because they bug me.  Oh, and also working on getting my military all decked out in steel everything + leather cloaks, it's kinda of difficult though because I have a military of 15 in a fort of 55 >.>  damn migrants keep being terrible so I just conscript them all. 

Seriously, how many High Master Soap Makers can I use?  I mean, do my dorfs really smell THAT bad?
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 3842