Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120391 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5190 on: August 23, 2010, 09:44:16 am »

At last.

I finished my superstructure, its edges consisting of nothing but green glass GEM windows.

I finished walling off my lava ducts and activated the pumps to flood the bottom Z-level and permanently fuel my new forges.

I have begun stripping down the last batch of goblins in preparation for their placement into the dropzone.

Soon, Project Coppertop shall be made a reality.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: August 23, 2010, 01:23:54 pm »

And 50 or so bars of unusable soap, due to it being on the last little sliver of soap, with not enough left to complete the cleaning task.
Score one for verisimilitude.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:22 pm »

I have finally encountered my first skeletal creatures.  This was the first moments of a new terrifying grassland embark.  A giant skeletal tiger killed a dog, eviscerated one axedwarf and critically injured my second one.  In the process of walling in my entrance, a giant skeletal leopard killed a miner while the injured axedwarf finished it off.  I was thinking I might have this one even with tantrums galore inside the fort until a herd of skeletal elephants crashed through the gates and stomped everyone to death.  By mid-spring of the first year, Safetysteels had fallen...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:32 pm »

Building the mortuary temple component of the King's pyramid tomb and working through the massive backlog of forging jobs in order to start operating them more effectively.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: August 23, 2010, 05:26:50 pm »

First time i haven't been wiped out by goblins, and i'm finding i have waaaayyyy too many dwarves.

Set the population cap to 110 and now i'm making exactly 132 doors so i can cull the population properly.

Was fine at 110, got like 25 migrants and fps dropped like crazy
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: August 23, 2010, 06:49:18 pm »

I got another moody dwarf. By this point I don't even pay attention to them. I have a mountain of materials so Dwarves almost always find what they need. But this dwarf hasn't. I can't figure out what the idiot wants either since everything she demands appears to be in my fortress. So she'll probably go insane. I don't care either. She's just a farmer, and not an important one at that. Also vultures attacked again. They don't appear to be as bloodthirsty as before though, since none of them attempted to attack my crippled Dwarves in the hospital. However one did steal some plump helmet roasts which apparently made the cook that made them incredibly depressed.

Townbrush Fun Fact: All of the migrants from wave 15 are dead except for one baby.

EDIT: Okay, now that aforementioned cook is throwing a tantrum. So far all she has done is topple a fishery, which doesn't bother me to much since nobody has caught a fish in Townbrush in years. But I honestly don't get why she is going crazy over this. Ogres mercilessly tearing my friends to pieces? Well that sucks but life must go on. Vultures stealing my plump helmet roasts? OH GOD WHY THERE'S NO POINT TO LIFE ANYMORE!!!!

EDIT 2: Apparently the captain's definition of "beating" is "smash with a crossbow until their lungs are crushed and they can no longer breathe". The cook paid for her destruction of the fishery and farmer's workshop with her life. The captain also delivered this "beating" inside the hospital for some reason. That must have been fun for all the cripples to watch.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:23:52 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:22 pm »

FOE received an uninvited guest recently: a 2-headed humanoid ettin. This was the first credible threat to my latest fortress! It also became an object lesson in the brutality of silver war hammers and silk shirts as weapons. The real gore may have come from the spear, but boy was there a lot of pain before hand...

Really the whole thing was nearly farcical. Especially in the beginning. Oh, that Ettin chased my dwarfs for a good twenty minutes. The military was slow to arm and practically refused to chase after the Ettin as a classic Benny Hill scene played out all up and down mountain peaks.

I ultimately lost two guys who hadn't bothered to pickup their equipment like the rest of the military.

More delays to the FOX Head and 5 more Fox kits for a total population of 45 Foxes... and not a single dwarf who "likes foxes for their cunning."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:29:52 pm by DrGravitas »

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: August 23, 2010, 09:07:56 pm »

I just got bored, so I decided to flood the bitch, and things continued pretty much as usual for at least a year afterwards. None of the dwarves seemed to mind that they were being flooded out of house and home, and instead continued my silly dream of a large blocked-in green glass warehouse and building a gigantic tower that defied the laws of gravity by being built out of a small wooden shed sideways.

Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: August 23, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »

My marksdwarves squad had just invent a new form of acupuncture and they tried it out on 2 snatchers. One had been hit with nearly 25 bolts. 8 bolts were still lodged in him when he finally died. He sustained 2 perforated lungs and his liver, pancreas and right kidney were perforated too and he had numberous fractures. My militia had to finish him off by bashing him with their crossbows. The other one took this time to flee with three bolts lodged in his guts and vomiting all the way to safety.

Right after an ambush was spot by a woodcutter, they were marksgoblins lead by a hammergoblin. He was cut two times while retreating to the fortress but he made it and he activated the drawbridge. The squad was moved on the gatehouse and the first shot finished his course in the brain of a goblin, killing him on the spot. They were unable to return fire. Only one goblin survived. We took 2 prisoners and the leader of the ambush (And his silver maul).

Now my dwarves know that you can't perform acupuncture by putting a bolt in the brain of someone without killing him.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another artifact
« Reply #5199 on: August 23, 2010, 10:14:11 pm »

Oh, children. You make the BEST artifacts.

A depiction of a battle, the Sieges of Attacking, where a human tore out an elf's tooth. Epic.

What's this? A love letter to the outpost liaison. Wonderful. I haven't seen artifacts with those before. ;)

Oh, and a reference to another (more valuable) artifact. Woot. I think that's all the artifact cliches on one artifact.

At least it's worth 31k.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: And at least the little bastard got skill off it. :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:16:34 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: August 23, 2010, 10:21:02 pm »

Tentative exploration of the just-breached caverns suggests that the aquifers have been "nicked into" by the caverns.  This would result in them having been slowly filling with water for, uh...  six years or so ingame.

Hoo boy.

Also have over 300 animals.

[ETA] 351.  And a siege.

[ETA2]  Led by a hammerlord.

[ETA3]  Y HELO THAR HUMAN CARAVAN.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:30:04 pm by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: August 23, 2010, 10:50:36 pm »

It's coming.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »

now make a vertical one, with the mouth the entryway.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: August 23, 2010, 10:58:33 pm »

It is vertical.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher