Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097777 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4620 on: August 03, 2010, 01:19:50 am »

Savescum again, bronze guy showed up and my entire military could not scratch him.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: August 03, 2010, 01:24:24 am »

It occurs to me that the dwarf carving the sasquatches on the wall is assuming that the fort won't last very long and knows quite well that any adventurers that pass this way will just naturally agree that sasquatches are a) dangerous and b) probably still in the fortress.

Dwarf Engraving: Practical jokes from beyond the grave.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:03 am »

Now it's getting weird. I've minted the classical high fantasy currency set of Platinum, Gold, Silver and Copper pieces, and all of them seem relatively normal EXCEPT for the gold coins, which feature A SASQUATCH ON ONE SIDE AND THE LEGENDARY TOY BOAT ON THE OTHER.

My dwarves are seriously, seriously obsessed with sasquatch. Does this begin the Age Of Sasquatch And Demons?
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: August 03, 2010, 02:20:18 am »

There's probably a very good reason for it.  Like a sasquatch killed a member of the royal family.

...Or a sasquatch IS a member of the royal family...
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: August 03, 2010, 02:21:26 am »

There's probably a very good reason for it.  Like a sasquatch killed a member of the royal family.

...Or a sasquatch IS a member of the royal family...

That does actually make a lot of sense. Dwarves breeding with halflings could lead to a Sasquatch, theoretically.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: August 03, 2010, 02:31:31 am »

Is the sasquatch your civ symbol, perchance?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: August 03, 2010, 03:07:40 am »

i have had a sasquatch obsessed fort. shortly afterwards the same named sasquatch showed up, was slain and made into soap. recently i had a giant eagle obsessed fort. dozens of those guys showed up - one a year.

my current fort is plains titan obsessed. wonder when he is going to show up.
This is a blank sig.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:43 am »

just came across something interesting on a human trade caravan.

a Liquid barrel.

the contents?
a stack of liquid.

wondering if I should buy it.
suggestions?

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: August 03, 2010, 03:30:09 am »

I've got a fort that's obsessed with someone named Mistem Somethingorother, who fled to the "Lost Tower" about 500 years ago. Seems like a quarter of the statues my legendary mason is churning out depict this event; I've been putting all of them along the walls of one long "Hall of Mistem" deep in the bowels of my fort. Someday an archaeologist is going to be very confused by this (or else he will be beside himself with glee at finally uncovering a trove of information about the great legendary Mistem). I'll need to check the legends of this guy at some point to see why he's so special.

Another quarter of the statues churned out by that legendary mason are of himself, depicting his rise and fall as expedition leader and as bookkeeper for the fort. I'm putting all of those into his eventual tomb, the narcissist. I think I may take him off of statuary duty soon before I run out of room for them all. If he gets killed someday I hope someone makes a statue depicting his death; it'll be a great final piece to seal up in there with his bones.

I love statues in DF2010. I hardly bother to engrave any more since I can arrange my statues to tell the tales that I want told.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: August 03, 2010, 04:11:03 am »

So, did Toady program messianic tendencies into the system or is just a random occurence?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: August 03, 2010, 10:35:13 am »

Perhaps he did, my dwarves are kind of obsessed with the voyages of this one human, He had like, nine of them. I keep engraving trying to find out more.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:42 am »

Got attacked by a shell with a head comprised entirely of fire. It got one-shotted by a sword-wielding speardwarf who bled out almost instantly from the fireburst.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:59 pm »

Some of my recent forts have had obsessions like that, the resident dwarfs getting all hot and bothered over some human that lived 500 years ago, or the outpost liaison, or something weird like that. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: August 03, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »

My fort has had an insane few months.

First I hit adamantine and just started mining and extracting strands, found two whole veins and was dreaming about what I'd make first with it,  when something terrible happened - my 60 z-layer magma pump stack deconstructed.  The first pumps were built with wooden screws, and that caused them to deconstruct, and the entire thing came down. 

Unfortunately it had already filled its purpose and so magma began flowing down at an incredible rate.   I only discovered this when I got a warning about someone bleeding to death.  How did magma get in this area, I wondered, assuming that was the cause of the smoke.  I looked around for fire men or fire imps, but no signs of them.  Suddenly I noticed, a floating giant steel corkscrew - then it all made sense.

Dwarves were drafted rapidly to flood the breach, try to do something, anything, to keep lava from flooding down.  They succeeded but not before about 10% of the reservoir was at 3/7.  (Thanks to an idiot dabbling mechanic who took the floodgate task, and idiot miners and idiot everyone taking forever).  So now I am stuck with jobs always canceling at my forge and smelters, but they at least work.  Since I had to seal one of the tiles the top magma pump was on, I don't think I can reconstruct the stack as it was, which is depressing since I spent like a day on that thing. I get it 59 Z-levels though, and I'll deal with the last one.

In the midst of the flooding on various levels and steam clouds and so on, a massive goblin siege arrived.  I had built a defensive measure, a long bridge with traps in the middle, up to the level of my fortress floating about 3 z-levels above the surrounding ground.  I ordered my dwarves to hang out around the fortress end; ordered civilians inside, and waited.

The first goblin to reach the three traps was the leader of the group, a pike lord, and he dodged all three of the serrated spinning disc strikes (each trap has 3 but I think only the first went off, because...) as I watched he dodged off the bridge and fell several Z-levels, becoming just a twinkle and incapacitating himself.

This sort of stupidity continued for a time, with gobbos mostly getting ripped apart by traps and muddling in the trap area, trying to get around fallen comrades.  I ordered my marksdwarves to fire from behind the fortifications on the fortress side, and for once in their miserable lives, they did something right (instead of rushing in to bash with crossbows!), and while the pike goblins got pushed forward by a surge of trolls and bow goblins, not one made it more than a few squares from the traps.  At some point I dispatched some melee squads to get some experience and clean up the mess.  At least 4 in that squad got hat tricks.

On the other side, a group of goblins and trolls were intercepted by a melee team, and by the time I noticed they were already being chased off to the hills.  The squad defending did not wait until they hit the traps, though the traps claimed several trolls who snuck in when the original squad went chasing down goblins.  I sent a backup squad who did take out a couple trolls, but that side was done.

After the dust settled, I had a few casualties.  One was dead (suffocated; did he land on his chest after dodging off the bridge?  I don't know), one had a busted lip (really, now do you need to go to the hospital for that?), and one had some arm nerve damage.  Hard to tell what was bridge dodging and what was inflicted by enemies, but the badly injured one was in combat a long time - thanks to his masterwork and exceptional armor, even injured he was able to ward off most blows.

During all this one of my lifetime injured dwarves - bedridden for 6 years as a kid by an elk bird, never able to receive treatment, got struck with a strange mood.  Shrugging off severe injuries, he took over a craftsdwarf workshop.

That workshop was being used to process adamantine.  So what stone did he grab?   Raw adamantine.   So I got my first truly valuable artifact.  A raw adamantine bracelet encrusted with tetrahedrite and pyrite, decorated with chestnut, and encircled with bands of raw adamantine and oak.    With a value of 908,400, it's more than 10 times my next best artifact.

I also have a severely injured Potash maker in my hospital, who needs just about everything, surgery, dressing, etc.  What happened to him?  Probably an Elk Bird.

So next up, time to build some walls to that bridge.  Though it's almost worth not doing so, just to watch the gobbos dodge off into lala land... I can't have my guys batting cleanup share their fate. 

Probably going to fix my magma situation (it's finally starting to evaporate, water and magma both) and get back to smelting adamantite.

But what will I do with when I have it?  I have a legendary armorer chomping at the bit.  Perhaps I'll let him have a go.

Edit: One of my dwarves got 8 goblins/trolls in the latest blitz, another 7!  go team!
Also, I accidentally exceeded my lumber limits, while also offering the elves a splint or something wooden.  So maybe I'll get besieged AGAIN?  Who knows!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:32:12 pm by JimboOmega »

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:06 pm »

So this made me lol:

I ordered some milking of animals through a farmers workshop, and my milker happily wanders off towards the animal pens. He grabs one of the cows and starts heading back towards the workshop, but uh-oh, here comes another dorf. He angrily grabs the cow and chains her back up to the leash. "No milk for YOU!" The milker grabs the cow again and... endless loop of idiocy ensues.

Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 3842