Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097508 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4635 on: August 03, 2010, 01:50:44 pm »

So this made me lol:

I ordered some milking of animals through a farmers workshop, and my milker happily wanders off towards the animal pens. He grabs one of the cows and starts heading back towards the workshop, but uh-oh, here comes another dorf. He angrily grabs the cow and chains her back up to the leash. "No milk for YOU!" The milker grabs the cow again and... endless loop of idiocy ensues.

hehe .. i had something like that.

They were dragging a donkey back and forth. "the donkey shall be chained at the entrance!!"  "no it shall be slaughtered!!" .. after watching in amusement I decided to slaughter another donkey.

The poor tug-o-donkey ended up being stabbed in the heart by a goblin thief ... and THEN slaughtered. So everyone was happy, except, y'know, the donkey.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: August 03, 2010, 03:49:15 pm »

We were attacked by Bekor Azoctaba, an enormous one-eyed firefly with large mandibles and a leathery carmine exoskeleton, which squirms and fidgets (beware its deadly dust!).

So I mobilized my entire military (squad of 10 mixed weapons, squad of 6 with maces and hammers, squad of 2 wrestlers, squad of 6 marksdwarves) to go fight it.  It was in one of the narrower parts of the caverns, and my speardwarf Kadol Thizducim ("Fastenworks") went in first.  And besides her loyal war lion, everyone else decided to stay out in the main cavern, amid cries of "I'm sure you can handle it" and "we'll guard the rear".

So Kadol started going about the business of skewering the firefly with her masterwork steel spear, striking various internal organs while being buffeted about by the beast's "deadly dust".  Although her lion did not fare so well, by the time she'd fatally lanced its brain she'd suffered no more than a kick to the arm.  So I was a little surprised that she then went to rest - it was just one minor bruise after all.  That's when I noticed the purple trail she was leaving.  Thinking it was beast extract that was going to be spread across the whole fort I had a look and saw that no, it was actually miasma.  So I check her status page and *every* bodypart, from limbs and body right down to eyelids was a) rotten and b) swollen with blood.  2 pages of red text.  The miasma was from her now decaying form.

She made it to the hospital, stinking up the fortress as she went, and one of our medics attempted to diagnose her.  This was apparently unsuccessful, because then the chief medic came up to re-diagnose her immediately after (can't trust the trainees to do it right).  With all that rot she was scheduled for cleaning and surgery to every part of her body.  But she was having none of it - after a couple of attempts to move her (cancelled: not resting) she told them she was fine and went back to train with her squad, filling the place with miasma.  I figured maybe she'd just recover naturally, but further checks showed that she was now blind and the rot was now "advanced" rot.

So I dropped her from her squad (the stink was annoying her already long-patrol-enraged squad) and she then dutifully returned all her gear to the relevant stores (still trailing ridiculous amounts of miasma wherever she went).  She then went to the well and cleaned all the forgotten beast extract off herself before deciding that with nothing better to do she may as well go to hospital to rest.  Cue another diagnosis and the medics decided she didn't need cleaned anymore (she'd done that herself) and just needed surgery.  This time she didn't resist and the surgeon went to start removing rotten tissue (there was still an entry for every single bodypart at this point). He started by excising it from her upper lip, which apparently went well.  The chief medic decided to diagnose her again (gets some practice in if nothing else) and this time decided she was cured, and she was free to go.

Sure enough, checking her status all the rot was gone and she could see again (albeit impaired).  I guess all the rotting tissue was connected and, like peeling skin from sunburn, the surgeon took great delight in removing all of it in one continuous strip.  She's now back with her squad, her vision still impaired and some sensory nerve damage, along with a tiny scar on her arm, but otherwise happily training away.  All her bodyparts are still showing yellow, but it doesn't seem to be bothering her and no more treatment is scheduled.

So all in all, she did a lot better than the dwarf that got shot in the lip and died from an infection.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:13 pm »

Holy crap. That's the most amazing body-rot story I've ever heard.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: August 03, 2010, 03:58:45 pm »

Your doctor is a magician.

I am trying a river fort again. This time based over a 34 tile wide major river. I have to pass a double aquifer layer. What fun. At least this time my miner didn't get his arm torn off by a crocodile. I haven't had a chance to wash all my booze into the aquifer yet, that'll later.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: August 03, 2010, 04:09:24 pm »

magic doctor is magic.

Dude. Your chief medical doctor deserves a pay raise.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: August 03, 2010, 04:21:22 pm »

DF Pay raise = Royal Bedroom and tomb.   Shame they won't actually use any of that currently.

I tried giving my chief medical dude a kickass office right next to the hospital once in hopes it will make the doc hang out there.  Didn't work.  Instead all that happened was a few people decided to pass up on the legendary dining room to eat in there and then bitch that there weren't enough tables. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: August 03, 2010, 04:32:47 pm »

Work is now underway carving out excessive bedrooms, offices, and tombs for all involved (chief medic, surgeon, speardwarf).  The smelters are firing up ready for the newly mined platinum obtained now that firefly is out the way.

The mayor'll be unhappy, but he can always burn.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: August 03, 2010, 04:34:19 pm »

I have some idle dwarves waiting for me to break the aquifer. I have plenty of surface room and no aboveground seeds.. Cooking things doesn't give you seeds.

I'm going to drown my dwarves in beer.

Edit: Dropped a block into the aquifer. My computer froze for 3 seconds. This computer can run Crysis on maximum (I wish I had a way to note that that should be said in the suit voice other than all caps because that implies I'm putting huge amounts of emphasis into via loudness.) visual settings. Dayamn.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:56:07 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: August 03, 2010, 05:09:35 pm »

A 34 tile wide river? Damn... most I've seen so far is around 10-15. Worldgen, here I come!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: August 03, 2010, 05:20:25 pm »

Currently, my fort is in desperate need of some messing with schedules so cave crocs and the like stop wandering in through my forages. One of them got three names that way and sent a dude for upper body stitches. Also, a legendary miner/fighter who is a grand master swordsdwarf is lying in bed complaining about his foot's scar.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: August 03, 2010, 05:27:44 pm »

I've had a string of mayoral elections resulting in unknown peasants getting elected, so I've decided not to build a throne room/office/dining room/bedroom for each one, and they get to use what I've already made for their term and their term only, and to make things fun, I'm not assigning them any bedrooms after they're out of office.

Useless, useless mayors.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: August 03, 2010, 05:41:11 pm »

The poor tug-o-donkey ended up being stabbed in the heart by a goblin thief ... and THEN slaughtered. So everyone was happy, except, y'know, the donkey.
skimming through the new page... this was all I read of the quote the first time... sounded way to wrong by itself..
Nom nom nom

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: August 03, 2010, 06:22:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: August 03, 2010, 06:32:54 pm »

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:10 pm »

Riverfort Mark 3. I'm not good at keeping these things. This one is too awesome not to keep though. 47 tile wide, perfectly straight south to north. There's 4 tile wide river dropping 13z into the main river. 1 aquifer layer that I can probably avoid by going down closer to the riverbed. Chalk Limestone layers too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 07:58:11 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 3842