Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097772 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4605 on: August 02, 2010, 08:00:51 pm »

Learning hammerdwarves really are that terrible, and waiting for a chief medical dwarf who is clearly in no hurry.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »

I am hoping that Skeletal Elephants cannot swim. My miner just surived being thrown into a tree by a retracting drawbridge.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: August 02, 2010, 08:50:52 pm »

Starting another fort, this one will be set over a river.

Unfortunately, a crocodile happened. Killed a dog, and tore off half of one of my miners arms. Also put his left upper leg in red. That went yellow in 9 days though, so I think he might do alright.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: August 02, 2010, 09:01:13 pm »

My mayor fell into a strange mood with the human guild representative waiting to talk to him. He went off into the craftsdwarf's hut, slammed the door, and the human was left hanging around outside, waiting. Of course, it took awhile, because the mayor needed leather, which meant I had to slaughter some muskoxen, tan the skin, and then the mayor got down to business and made a TOY BOAT, which, of course, menaces with spikes of dolomite and bears the images of a goblin thief.

Thus complete, the mayor returned to his meeting with the human. He got "ULTRA-MIGHTY" out of it.

He took a level in badass with a specialty in toy boat manufacture.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: August 02, 2010, 09:27:06 pm »

Finally got my two magma smelters set up without incident and we're smelting hematite at full capacity.  Also got a hospital set up and we're doing some exploratory mining.  I'm also considering setting up magma cannons in the mountainside.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: August 02, 2010, 09:30:37 pm »

Apparently, necrophilia.

On a lighter note, I'd call it a runner up for a Darwin Award.
The corpse is that of a carpenter, who was standing in the wrong place at the right time, as my miners were channeling out some floor for my reservoir. He fell 4z, broke half of his limbs, a toe, and his pancreas, after setting up an emergency hospital, building a bed for the carpenter(hah!), and getting him in it, he succumbed to infection.
Not 3 minutes later, I see my woodcutter hop into bed with the corpse.
huh.
The more you know.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: August 02, 2010, 09:48:03 pm »

Savescum because of apparently immortal forgotten beast. He got turned all red and just didn't die. Seems my choice of location for a field hospital was ill-fated.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »

Dropping lava into the ocean to form the base of a support pillar went better than expected.  Splashed a little bit though, I'll have to improve the design for the next 3 pillars.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: August 02, 2010, 11:55:15 pm »

My spiral fort is doing well but I have way too many dwarfs (was trying to get a noble and the economy going)  I think it's time to outfit some military and turn invaders on. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: August 03, 2010, 12:21:56 am »

First layer of my wall finished! 5 tiles thick, going to be 5 or 6 high, completely made from Limestone Blocks, 950 so far. Mountain behind is down to 2-z high, from 8. Got a lot of residual stone floating around now though, will be a pain to get rid of. Planning on making a completely limestone town, complete with citadel. Here's hoping I don't get bored.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: August 03, 2010, 12:53:12 am »

Well my plans to construct the lighthouse have been going fine. Since this is my first megaproject I ran into a few minor complications, but nothing I couldn't fix. What bothers me is that this fortress has been incredibly calm. Despite the years that have gone by, I have never experienced a siege or ambush. Plenty of thieves and snatchers but they are easily dealt with. The biggest threat to my fort was a FB with deadly blood, but since he can't fly he never got into the fort. The worst he ever did was freak out a few farmers when he approached the walls of my farm. Speaking of which I was thinking of installing some windows in the farm walls, but I'm not sure if the FB can smash them. Or he might crawl in while there's a gap in the wall.

Anyways, the lack of attacks has caused me to lower my guard. I know that they could strike at any moment, but it's hard to keep that in mind whilst playing when they continue to do nothing. I have amassed a large supply of weapon and cage traps though, so the inevitable attack will probably be repelled with ease. What I'm worried about is the diggers, wood cutters, and masons that may be outside when the attack occurs. I can't think of a way to save them other than being lucky.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4616 on: August 03, 2010, 01:02:27 am »

The area around my fortress is a festering, smoldering wasteland, covered in dozens of bodies and even more random body parts. Blood and vomit coats the landscape, and the entrance hall of my fortress is a makeshift mass grave, filled with almost a hundred dwarven bodies. The whole place is on lock-down, with several goblin ambushes waiting outside. Several of the remaining dwarves have gone insane.

...Oh, well. I've captured several dozen goblins in cage traps. It's pay-back time.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: August 03, 2010, 01:02:54 am »

It seems as if the engravings on my captain's office wall imply the dwarves have encountered sasquatches in the past, and the recent mayoral mandate for maces was to defend them FROM said sasquatches.

I think my dwarves have quite the imagination...
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: August 03, 2010, 01:13:43 am »

GOD DAMMIT

EDIT: So after pondering why I had no ambushes, I got two of them at once. First thing the goblins do is run blindly into my cage traps. This nullified most of their forces, however the remaining goblins were still tough. They took down a mechanic, farmer, and doctor before the military arrived. Then one axedwarf was lost before the goblins were slain. Now I have a bunch of caged goblins, corpses littering the field, and some critically wounded dwarves. On top of that,  the snatchers and thieves apparently thought that the chaos of the ambushes would make for the perfect cover. Instead most of them ran straight into the military and were swiftly cut down.

EDIT 2: After checking the combat logs, I found that a Darner thief (mod race) actually got into a fight with one of the goblin crossbow men during the attack and had her leg shot off. Despite the missing limb she doesn't appear to be suffering from pain or bleeding, and is now flying away across the ocean to safety. Hopefully the wound will open and cause her to plunge into the water.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:40:52 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 3842