Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098592 times)

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4560 on: July 31, 2010, 06:28:51 pm »

Platinum's malleability has something to say about that.

On the topic of my fort, mentioned 4 posts ago, the looming beer drought was handled, and my farm is finally active. I got a 16 migrant wive mid-spring. Assigned all the roles, conscripted 8 of them. I'll make it all work later. I'll have enough farmers to handle my three farms, 25 x 12, 11 x 11 and 14 x 11. I'll be able to get a cloth industry going, and I have dedicated cooks now. Time to increase my framerate and lower the kitten density.

Also, does anyone know if marksmen actually work now?
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: July 31, 2010, 07:37:08 pm »

Well now, assuming I ever get a macedwarf to legendary, he can have it.  Something that heavy ought to do some damage.

For soem reason i've read Adamntine, so yeah you should do some damage. I doubt it,s optimal tho.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4562 on: July 31, 2010, 07:38:50 pm »

In the fortress of HandleFlank, now in its third year, the project to pierce the five level deep aquifer has been going well.   Using every scrap of wood I could harvest or buy I built a six-wheel water reactor, then placed four pumps on each level of the shaft to clear the water from the next level long enough to smooth the walls and stop the water.

On the way down, the shaft intersected a cluster of rubies embedded in a bauxite vein.  The bauxite wasn't part of the aquifer, despite being surrounded by the aquifer, so there wasn't much water to pump out on that level.  I smoothed the bauxite and ruby anyway and continued onto the next level.  Later, as the shaft neared completion, I decided to try and get the rubies out.  They weren't damp.  I mined them out with no problems.  Behind them was a damp star ruby.  "Should be safe" I told myself, "Ruby and bauxite aren't aquifer stones, that dampness is probably just from trace water on the floor or something.  So I designated it for mining.

When the miner dug the star ruby out, the immediate torrent of water blasted him back to the stairway running down the shaft.  He fell several levels, surviving yet suffering massive injuries.  The massive pumping system in the shaft sucked out the water as fast as it came in, leaving the bottom of the shaft clear of water, yet a torrent of water was still gushing out of the side of the shaft several layers above the bottom.  A dwarf came along to recover the injured miner and was caught in the spray of water and knocked down the stairs.  Now two injured dwarves lay at the bottom of the shaft.  Another dwarf came along to clean up the blood and vomit which was now everywhere, and suffered the same fate as the others.

I eventually managed to get all the injured out, but the shaft was still unusable from the leak.  I tried to build a wall to seal it, but when I finally manged to designate a wall to be built, the mason came along and was himself caught in the water flow and fell to the bottom of the shaft.  Cue another series of dwarves slipping and being hilariously injured.

The star ruby cluster that started all this meanwhile seems to have disappeared.  Either the miner didn't manage to make usable stone when mining it out, or it was lost to the bug that causes objects being pushed by water to sometimes vanish.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: July 31, 2010, 08:01:37 pm »

That's awesome.

I just got my first mood in the fortress of Yellboots, on a weaver. Unfortunately, I have no cloth as my farms just started this spring. No rope reeds from the plant collecting I had my planters do during the boring first year either.

I don't even know what I was planning to do with him, all his labors were disabled.

Edit: He might actually make it, the elves just arrived. Atleast, assuming my broker doesn't first wait to drink eat and sleep before
dealing with them.

Edit 2: He made it! Hooray!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:35:05 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: July 31, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »

Rocking along in Whitewalls, currently in the summer of year 3 of the fort. The mountain in the embark region is slowly being levelled, down 3 layers now, working on the fourth. The quarter-circle wall surrounding the soon-to-be surface city hit a hiccough when I realised the map was not as deep as I'd thought it to be, however, after building the first 3/4 of it (single depth) I decided to opt out of a perfect quarter circle and just curve it off politely to reach the edge. It won't look as good as I planned, but it won't have to be rebuilt either. Aiming for a 5 tile wide, 5 tile high wall that tapers towards the top. It should look magnificent when finished. The wall is, of course, made from limestone.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: July 31, 2010, 10:20:22 pm »

My legendary marksdwarf militia commander just had his arm eaten by a cave crocodile, and then proceeded to beat it to death with his crossbow. He then went right back to training, stopping only to scrub off the blood. Also, how has this not been stickied yet?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:27:08 pm by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: July 31, 2010, 10:39:57 pm »

My legendary marksdwarf militia commander just had his arm eaten by a cave crocodile, and then proceeded to beat it to death with his crossbow. He then went right back to training, stopping only to scrub off the blood. Also, how has this not been stickied yet?
I love that dwarves can survive loss of a limb now.  Does anyone have any one-legged, legendary crutch-walker bad-asses yet?
awesome

I just realized that the picture on one of my two artifact adamantine mail shirts (have had great luck with moods) is of a goblin killing a baby.  With a pike.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: August 01, 2010, 12:45:35 am »

After 5 years and ~106000 created wealth (with zero imported, so long as our starting equipment doesn't actually count), The fortress of Ironhalls has received it's first forgotten beast, Akung, a towering humanoid composed of green glass with wings, it undulates rhythmically (for some reason this makes me think of them as some sort of dancing, prancing beast who kills you while singing a merry tune...), Beware his poisonous gas. No casualties, I actually (miraculously) managed to get everyone, even the animals, inside before walling off the main stairwell. I then realized the point from which i'd been dropping stone walls on the fish-men was also an access point for the beast, and sealed it off. It nearly got in anyway as the pump stack, directly connected to the stairwell for dwarf power, was not sealed off at the time. It was on floor 12, vulnerable, idiot dwarves and useless junk, when my stoneworker, Stony, finally reached the site and sealed it in, the wall was just on the other side of a pump. I don't know if it's actually a building destroyer without dwarves to path to as it has shown no interest whatsoever in any of the many constructions in the cavern or the pumps, but I'll call it a close call anyways.
Luckily, 2 years earlier, I had dug out the tree farm and flooded it (ever so slightly on the full side), leaving me a place to plant crops, although there aren't yet many trees and all the seeds but what's left in the mature plants (around 135 right now) are down there. Having a 50z tall fort has it's down sides, especially when I've never used an alert before(and didn't this time either) and it took a while to get everyone inside.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: August 01, 2010, 12:52:32 am »

I just realized that the picture on one of my two artifact adamantine mail shirts (have had great luck with moods) is of a goblin killing a baby.  With a pike.
To be fair, the pike probably followed the act by dragging the goblin into the river, but nobody was there to commemorate the event with pictures in adamantine.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: August 01, 2010, 01:31:51 am »

Dwarves are awesome. You know this already, but here's another reason.

When I was dropping a block of microcline through a river to tap my well, (just ramping into it isn't dwarfy enough) my miner fell in. He was one of my original seven. He was drowning for a few frames, but then he got washed in front of the rushing water and climbed out of the wall.

He is ecstatic. He has been comforted by a lovely waterfall lately.

Edit: He also just avoided being caught in a goblin ambush.

Goblinite get, flawless victory. (Except for the 1 human.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:42:28 am by Ethereal.Frog »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:46 pm »

Had my forst FB.. after losing almost half my fortress to ambushes and a tantrum spiral. I did not need this!

A big winged dinosaur with poisonous breath. Yay ... I hurried to draft as many crossbowmen as I could and express built some fortifications... but it never came.

Instead it ran deep down into the explored parts of the caverns and attacked a tribe of Olmmen. In a furious battle he crushed every single member of the tribe; or caused their skin to melt off with his devastating breath.. however, fortunately, the Olmmen were camped on top of a giant underground cliff; which was overlooking a underground sea.

As the tribe was facing demise, one Olmman stood up! His skin dripping off his flesh, he managed to stab the fiend in the eye and in a rage it charged at him - pushing both the last Olmman and the beast over the edge. Falling 11 Z levels into the water; which killed both.

... the underground is now eeriely quiet. I'm not sure it's safe to go down there at all. I might have to quarantine the entire combat area to avoid dwarves catching the poison.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:53:02 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Reni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: August 01, 2010, 01:59:00 pm »

It's going great for me. I just struck magma and fun blue stuff at the same time and both for the first time in my granted short Dwarf Fortress career. As a bonus my Blacksmith just made a masterwork gold table.
And as if this wasn't good enough my Weaponsmith finished his fey mood with an iron spear.
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness."
Otto von Bismarck

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: August 01, 2010, 03:05:46 pm »

Had my forst FB

First? Fourth? Worst? Forest? I'm so confused.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: August 01, 2010, 03:08:35 pm »

It was my first FB. Who, incidentally, was the fourth worst forest ever.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: August 01, 2010, 08:16:17 pm »

0.31.12 started off normally 1 pick, an anvil lots of booze, no other food items except 100 cow's milk. Got the first two migrant waves, but no dwarven traders. Year 1053 now, no further immigration, guess I'll just have to do it with these 14. Have the well, underground farms, and 4 rows of traps alternating with cages. 5 children, and of the 14 adults, 4 dead from goblin ambushes, and one killed by a crossbow trap. good news is the medical system works, had a dwarf get knocked off a 2z level cliff onto the local brook, shattered both lower and both upper legs, got cleaned, and sutured and healed up, though a 2nd dwarf running around after his woulnds were healed died of an infection. down to 8 adults and 5 children. guess it's time to wall off from the world before the local goblins bring a serious siege. Axe dwarf took 37 pages in the combat report to die from 3, (mace, hammer and a flail) goblins. seems he forgot to put on his bronze breastplate. Militia commander did well, parrying or blocking everything and his counterstrikes were deadly. Now where was the biome located that had the flux, ahh yes across the valley and up 7 z levels from the fort. Better put in a flood gate, that biome had an aquifier.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 3842