Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098338 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4575 on: August 01, 2010, 08:44:58 pm »

A forgotten beast laid low a sizable number of dwarves with its dust, but once I was able to wash off the contaminant it appears like it will resolve itself with no long-term impact.  We came dangerously close to a total collapse with this one.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: August 02, 2010, 01:06:44 am »

Starting a fort near a volcano with flux and an assload of trees. I think it might also be savage or something.

Start out, dig in. I put a few cage traps around, just in case something fun steps there. I didn't notice that the first pile of fauna that spawned was a little heard of elephants.

I have 6 caged elephants. I might be able to put off millitary creation a year or two with these.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Xainiax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: August 02, 2010, 01:29:10 am »

im alternating engraving the entire map (all dwarves have engraving enabled) and producing enough food and drink ect to support such an endeavor also i am creating a cave in catacomb to destroy all the dead cats that have strangely been put in my best coffins once i find some lava though i plan on creating a way to create obsidian smooth it dig it up create more ect. my mountain is going to be beautiful.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: August 02, 2010, 03:52:37 am »

Just had some fun watching the most badly wounded dwarf I've had yet getting treatment in the hospital. He got 14 sutures put into various parts of his body, with his lower left leg alone getting three sutures in it (I presume it's one suture per wound, even if multiple wounds hit the same body part). Then he got eight cloth dressings. Then he was scheduled for six limb immobilization and one traction (his right elbow). Unfortunately my medical dwarf went for the traction first, and only a few steps after picking him up to take him to the traction table the wounded dwarf ran off to pick up equipment and get on with his career. I wonder if this was in part due to the fact that the wounded dwarf had decided to rest on top of one of the hospital's coffers, instead of one of its many available beds. Oh well. Pretty much every part of him is infected so I doubt he's going to last long now.

On the plus side, I trained up a couple new medical dwarves, and one of the other injured dwarves being treated at the same time got the first plaster cast I've seen in the game.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: August 02, 2010, 07:05:18 am »

Four children got together and decided to hold a party.

180 barrels of booze, several hundred "Fancy" meals, a caged wolf, a legendary artifact floodgate, THE MULTIPLE ATTEMPTED SUICIDES OF A FEY MOOD ARTISAN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FESTIVITIES, and an entire season later and it finally comes to an end.

The party was held in a dining hall with a pit in the middle for "entertainment", and the insane artist kept trying to hurl herself into it to kill herself. It wasn't enough, and she got right back up, wandered back to the party, and did it again no less than a dozen times.

The four children ended up becoming "Proficient Organizers" out of this party... it was insane. The Sheriff went down and wound up joining it, and it wasn't until the artist starved to death that the party ended.

As soon as those kids are adults, I'm promoting them to administration.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: August 02, 2010, 07:56:42 am »

Four children got together and decided to hold a party.

180 barrels of booze, several hundred "Fancy" meals, a caged wolf, a legendary artifact floodgate, THE MULTIPLE ATTEMPTED SUICIDES OF A FEY MOOD ARTISAN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FESTIVITIES, and an entire season later and it finally comes to an end.

The party was held in a dining hall with a pit in the middle for "entertainment", and the insane artist kept trying to hurl herself into it to kill herself. It wasn't enough, and she got right back up, wandered back to the party, and did it again no less than a dozen times.

The four children ended up becoming "Proficient Organizers" out of this party... it was insane. The Sheriff went down and wound up joining it, and it wasn't until the artist starved to death that the party ended.

As soon as those kids are adults, I'm promoting them to administration.
Only in Dwarf Fortress can you slack off and have a shot at being a big shot.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: August 02, 2010, 08:14:44 am »

My dwarves just defeated their first(and mine) forgotten beast! An Ettin named Naspa Uthraisha. It showed up at ground level about a month after some goblins wrecked shop on us. I figured he'd be the end of the fortress StickyPlants but I sent my whole army and they did very well. Much better than I expected.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: August 02, 2010, 08:18:34 am »

I thought Ettin were megabeast?

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:25 am »

I thought Ettin were megabeast?

I dunno I'm still kinda new around here. it said forgotten beast though. does the announcement change for megas?
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: August 02, 2010, 10:41:21 am »

I think Ettins are semi-megas.
In other news, Armorseals' "Fuck the Elves" policy is going into its fourth year, and once more they have been sealed in the depot and left to go insane. I was not disappointed.

One elf snapped and took a few with it, but the spotlight belongs to a dromedary, who, in her berserk fury, slew all the rest of the depot's occupants, and in doing so, gained the most incredible name I have ever seen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't butcher this animal, for who could partake of the meat without losing themselves?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:49:57 am by Fistbeard »
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: August 02, 2010, 11:07:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't butcher this animal, for who could partake of the meat without losing themselves?

I wish i had a dromedary with a hump that call for blood :(

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: August 02, 2010, 11:12:08 am »

Trying to figure out what to do with my dual-crossbow weilding dwarf.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #4587 on: August 02, 2010, 11:31:19 am »

My next best champion, Bear Force One, was shot in both lungs and suffocated in her bed after gaining roughly 120 kills.  :(

Command of her legendary squad, The Unseen Sachs, shall be taken by a rookie with 47 kills and a penchant for charging the enemy, aptly nicknamed Firetruck2getu
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:39:22 am by Shurikane »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: August 02, 2010, 11:43:13 am »

Started up my first fort with Genesis Mod, found out that my brewer is also my only obsidian dwarf, and am about 2/3 done with a massive stockpile area.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »

I've gotten most of the areas set up (Dining room, graveyard, indoor death traps) and now the elves show up.  Not a big deal, I like them ever since they brought me a giant eagle in a cage.  And then goblin snatchers show up.

That's when I realize I haven't been paying enough attention to the trap defences.

But on the bright side, I managed to inaugurate my indoor farms by trapping a cougar in there and drowning it to death.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 3842