Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099788 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4365 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:16 pm »

on the cavern security front I patched two small holes in my stone curtain that Cordons my section of the caverns off from the seven FBs.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: July 22, 2010, 12:36:10 am »

You crushed a blob? Wouldn't that only splatter it into several hundred smaller angry immortal snow blobs? ???

Nah. It would turn into a pancake. This is good because pancakes, as we all know, are 2-dimensional. Since 2-dimensional objects are invisible when looked at edge-on, there will be less cancellation spam and the fortress can return to normal operation.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Artifakt

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Night at the Inventory. Discuss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: July 22, 2010, 02:33:10 am »

A cave-in sent two of my dorfs to the "hospital". While fetching them water, one of my founders was eaten by a vicious sturgeon. I had to drain the pond to kill the bastard.
Friend: "Sorry, I just can't get past those ASCII graphics."
Me: "But it has 18 types of graaaaaaaasssss!!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: July 22, 2010, 03:30:09 am »

Building walls around the entrance to my fort. I want my idlers to idle outside in just as much safety as inside.
Haven't started on that dwarven metropolis idea yet, gonna murder these dweebs after I the king comes, then gen a new world with the mods I will be using. My adventurers need to be able to enjoy their stay in the city, and have things to do, so i'm goign to grab/make/finish making some mods that could potentially be entertaining.

Also, it would appear that dorf months are only 28 days long, so I will never have the same birthday as any dwarf. unless I keep missing the last few days for some reason. I always look and see it's the 28th, then it's spontaneously the 1st of the next, but again, maybe I just don't check. I'm gonna catch it this time, but it's the 2nd right now so ill probably get distracted.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: July 22, 2010, 07:26:00 am »

Well my fort is progressing normally. I'm trying to chop down most of the trees on the surface before ambushes start, since I typically lose woodcutters during those. I've also begun the process of digging away the surface next to my fort to begin the construction of the lighthouse, since my masons are actually running out of things to do. Though I might just turn more of them into diggers so the process of destroying the surface to expand the ocean won't take as long.

However, I have run into one issue; my fortress is drenched in blood. I know blood has been a problem in recent versions, but it's never been an issue in my ocean forts. But this time it is, and on a ridiculous scale. As demonstrated by this screenshot, major portions of my fortress are soaked in the blood of a single goblin thief.

That bridge is supposed to be purple, not red. That's only one Z level to. The blood goes all the way down to my underground farms.

EDIT: OH GOD I PIERCED THE OCEAN. EVERYTHING IS FLOODING!!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:53:19 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: July 22, 2010, 07:39:27 am »

You crushed a blob? Wouldn't that only splatter it into several hundred smaller angry immortal snow blobs? ???

Nah. It would turn into a pancake. This is good because pancakes, as we all know, are 2-dimensional. Since 2-dimensional objects are invisible when looked at edge-on, there will be less cancellation spam and the fortress can return to normal operation.
Pancakes are actually just very this 3-dimensional objects, and still have a shape when looked at from the edge. It has been proven that no 3-dimensional object can become 2-dimensional, or indeed 1-dimensional (excluding singularities like black holes, because those are weird).

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: July 22, 2010, 07:54:01 am »

Having been invaded by a FB maggot and 4 ambushes, my fort dwindled from 49 to 9. I managed to seal the maggot in the main fort, leaving my Depot and farms.  The dwarves scurried around hastily building walls around the entrance way, and a miner began digging a drowning chamber.  She managed to get herself isoloated underground somehow, when two more goblin ambushes showed up.  Eight more dwarves were slaughtered, along with the human caravan.

All I have left is a single unco-operative dwarf.  In a world populted by gobins, with now two FB in the caves in my fort.  Slowly they are destroying every piece of furniture.  I just found them in the lower levels, destroying all the coffins and caskets.

Meanwhile, the one remaining dwarf has dug down to the lowest cavern level, winding through the two above, to pop up in front on the entrance to the main fort stair well.  And she dug slowly.  The only water available is from a pond I collapsed into a maskshift hole, and she has no access to food.  She would dig a square, walk away, dig two more, walk away, then another etc.  Hungrey, Thirsty and Angry.  Anyway, once she pops up in the cavern I order her to dig a T shape in ramps in the main 3 wide corridor, then to remove three of the ramps, to create a trench that the FBs cant cross.  Serious tension as I watched her take her merry time sealing the FBs in the fort, fearing one would have come hunting her as soon as she could be pathed to.

Anyway, thats done, and she spent some time gathering plants, including some Quarry Bushes, which are of no sustenance right now.  She also found a crundle leg, and built herself a butchers to eat that.  She is currently digging a series of trenches to isolate a section of the carvern from any undergound beasties.  Here hoping theres not fliers in the near future.  She should then have time to plant the two Plump Helmet seeds, and gather some more plants.  I need her to make one timber axe before she isoloates herself from the previous woodchopping, then she can cut more underground trees.  She should be pretty self contained, except that she has no access to an anvil.  We have three, and I will have to be careful, and lucky, to get hold off one of them.  She has access to magma at this low level, so that helps.  She has tantrummed twice so far, once falling asleep the next instant, and right now on her way down from the watering hole above to the depths, to trash what little facilities she has pulled together so far.  Soon I must have her make some barrels, to brew something to drink.  But I worry more about security now, having been caught napping twice now.  So I shall try to get her to finish the defences first.  After making a wooden axe.

Hopefully I can use the magma to kill the two FBs.  Maybe I should do that ASAP, then she could eat and drink all the food I had to carefully forbid.  To stop her running into the main fort immediately I had to forbid the whole fort.  Madness.  I am also using burrows to control her movements and prevent her from running into danger.

All in all, great fun.  And if she does die, I get a great reclaim gave out of it.

KadaverciK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35:54 am »

I was trying to make an "outside" meeting zone by removing the ceiling stuff. Somehow I managed to provoke 3 or 4 consecutive cave-ins, killing some random slacker, seriusly injuring one miner and crippling another one. Oh and a baby died too
Then I try to make a hospital but by the time I had what I think I needed the two miners died. It really sucked because one of them was my first Urist. After that there was a booze shortage, too much meat from the slaughterhouse, not enough barrels, miasma here and there.
Some dwarfs even began tantruming

But it all turned out great when the elf caravan arrived. Falling to my entrance pit and giving the fortress free stuff, they're so kind. I'm specially grateful about the pair of bears and the giant eagle
You twist the embedded bronze schmitar around The Elephant's mouth!
Man I just <3 DF

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: July 22, 2010, 11:52:58 am »

I just had my 5-man militia equipped fully in bronze utterly destroyed by one large or two small goblin lasher ambushes. I hadn't gotten around to trapping that entrance either. My liason turned the tide with his crossbow, but there's still an unconscous goblin spam-cancelling everything. I guess I'm going to have to mix weapons.

I think the squad itself was somewhat messed up though. They'd fought a FB with deadly blood earlier and they wouldn't attack any mobs in the caverns without a specific kill order. I should have checked to see if they'd been blinded or something.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: July 22, 2010, 12:03:44 pm »

Well, got the fort established in the caverns, thriving with 39 dwarves in the middle of its second year. 

Turns out we went a little...deeper...than I had originally planned.  Almost too deep, if that column of adamantine across from us and blood thorns sprouting around the main cavern are any indication.  I'll leave it alone for now, focusing instead on making colorful beds with the trees growing down here.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:07:05 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: July 22, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »

My fortress is being sieged by a joint force of snakemen and lizardmen... but they only brought one archer who was actually incapicitaed rather quickly so now they're just kinda hanging out outside my walls and being shot at by my marksdwarves.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: July 22, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »

Well, apparently one of those dogs killed Lat, the fire-breathing flying slug.  This one's going to be a sire for the next generation of powerful war dogs for sure.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: July 22, 2010, 05:47:07 pm »

Spoiler: Hammerdwarfstory (click to show/hide)
TLDR: I sacrificed a hammerdwarf to kill a forgotten beast that would've screwed my farming/fishing industries.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: July 22, 2010, 06:29:26 pm »

TLDR: I sacrificed a hammerdwarf to kill a forgotten beast that would've screwed my farming/fishing industries.
Great story!  Make sure you give him a suitably awesome tomb.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

ChrisTheTsunami

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:59 pm »

All of my dwarves recovered from the depression of the few deaths during the last ambush, with only a single dwarf throwing a tantrum before going stark raving mad. Probly didn't help that I just made a captain of the guard and a make shift jail for them to be thrown in(on that note, would the captain being a legendary woodcutter help boost his ability to use a training axe faster?)
A trading caravan came  just before winter, which helped with getting some better quality weapons, but I must have forgotten to order coke and charcoal last time, or at least had it over shadowed by other things I ordered. I remember wanting lots of weapon metals, which I don't need now that I found a ton of silver yielding ore. Well, since I couldn't buy extra charcoal, I bought the bars so I wouldn't have to smelt it myself later.
Waiting right now: Waiting for the rain so I can finish up my moat, and waiting for the ambush that comes around during this time. This time my army is along side the caravan's guard to actually be useful, and should clean house.
"They say that adding soy sauce to pudding gives the taste of sea urchin, but really, adding soy sauce to pudding only gives the taste of soy sauce and pudding"
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 3842