Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099759 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4350 on: July 21, 2010, 10:34:54 am »

After a few weeks away, I've returned to Bouldersprinkles. A Fish Dissector got possessed:

Bekarsoloz Gérig Otin, "Dipworship the Bank of Wines", a marble scepter
This is a marble scepter. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with marble, fire opal and fire agate and encircled with bands of orthoclase. This object is adorned with hanging rings of yellow gossular and menaces with spikes of fire agate. On the item is an image of a cloud in iron.

So wait, it's a scepter tha makes it rain wine? HELLS YEAH!

In other news, a child was mauled by a Draltha that had somehow climbed up from the caverns, which was quickly finished off. The Draltha I mean. Unfortunately. The child then irritated the surgeon by leaving the hospital, walking on a broken leg and a broken finger, to get a drink of booze. Also, lost the outpost liason, probably to gorrilas. Coincidentally, the liason had the same first name as the child.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: July 21, 2010, 11:49:51 am »

In other news, a child was mauled by a Draltha that had somehow climbed up from the caverns, which was quickly finished off. The Draltha I mean. Unfortunately. The child then irritated the surgeon by leaving the hospital, walking on a broken leg and a broken finger, to get a drink of booze. Also, lost the outpost liason, probably to gorrilas. Coincidentally, the liason had the same first name as the child.

Coincidence... or CONSPIRACY?!

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: July 21, 2010, 12:11:09 pm »

Still in the process of walling off the edges of the first cavern layer on this fortress. I started with the objective of immediately digging down into the caverns, getting everything I brought with me inside, then walling up the exit and starting there. Plus, I wanted to keep my fortress in the general layout of the caverns, so I've also been following the self-imposed rule of "no digging unless it's to get stone". Everything is quite cool at the moment, my rooms are all irregular shapes because I'm having to use the natural cavern walls for most of them. Every now and then I'll wall off a section so that only my dwarfs can access the inside, and nothing in the rest of the cavern can get in. Now that the fortress has been going for 6 years, I've almost claimed all of the first cavern, and I'm just in the process of building several 15 z-level high walls to seal off the edges. Even after setting [POPULATION] to 0 I still get one or two immigrants a season - so the surface is littered with the corpses of various Urists who decided that it was a good idea to migrate to a fortress which has never had any contact with the outside world, caravans, liasons, etc.

Once I'm done with the first cavern layer, I suppose I'll have to start on the second...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: July 21, 2010, 01:45:02 pm »

in my current fort, I have apparently recruited Captain Falcon into my military. He took down a forgotten beast with one punch, applied directly to the back.
On first reading, I thought that he'd punched the titan and his hand had flown off!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: July 21, 2010, 02:07:50 pm »

On first reading, I thought that he'd punched the titan and his hand had flown off!

Seems more likely doesn't it?
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: July 21, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »

Spoiler: Deep Fried goodness! (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: July 21, 2010, 03:47:04 pm »

Just went from 16 POP to my pop cap of 40 in one wave. One of the migrant went Fey before he ever reached my fort. Too bad he's just a weaver and not the Smith that came with him.  :'(
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: July 21, 2010, 03:51:01 pm »

Just broke through to the brook to start filling my underground river and moat.  Fingers crossed...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: July 21, 2010, 04:56:58 pm »

in my current fort, I have apparently recruited Captain Falcon into my military. He took down a forgotten beast with one punch, applied directly to the back.
first reading it it looks like he DONKEY punch that ocean titan and either he lost his hand or titan lost his pelvis bone.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: July 21, 2010, 06:07:49 pm »

Just broke through to the brook to start filling my underground river and moat.  Fingers crossed...
Yay!  I now have a nice underground trading post, surrounded on all sides by a fast-flowing moat, and overlooked by double-height fortifications.

The moat is fed from the brook on the surface, and drains into the caverns and off the edge.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: July 21, 2010, 07:28:50 pm »

My magma cannon from z level -54 to -1 is finished. Well, almost. There is still a minor power issue of being able to fill the small reservoir with magma and pumping that to the surface not being able to be active at the same time. And due to the fun invincible snow blob outside and the half dozen forgotten beasts down below, wood it a bit hard to come by. No river, so I am using windmills for power. However, I did manage to use my magma cannon on the snow blob outside. There's just one problem: it seems to have no effect on it besides immobilizing it. Turns out it will immobilize it, but as of yet (3 days of sitting in magma) it has yet to have an effect on the snow blob. However, being able to lock down a snow blob like that is pretty awesome, especially if you think of what that would look like. So it seems immortal snow blob is immortal.

Now that its locked down, time to kill it with a cave in. Lol, this is the most epic boss battle EVER. :D

I WIN!!!! After several years of being terrorized by the snow blob and the deaths of dozens of dwarves, three trade caravans, and several squads of goblins, the reign of Sanene Melifafire Cethutha Icithi, the Forgotten Best, has come to an end!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:42:40 pm by alway »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: July 21, 2010, 07:49:01 pm »

You crushed a blob? Wouldn't that only splatter it into several hundred smaller angry immortal snow blobs? ???

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: July 21, 2010, 07:54:14 pm »

You crushed a blob? Wouldn't that only splatter it into several hundred smaller angry immortal snow blobs? ???
Crushed while being bathed in magma. And in the processes also crushing a dwarf as a sacrifice to ensure the blob's utter destruction. And it wouldn't have splattered, since of its three body parts (two tails, and body) the tails had been removed, and the body was mangled to the point of there being no more tissue. It was down to the very essence of the thing. So it was more of soul-crushing a blob. :D

The part which scares me the most is the fact that underground there are two more blobs of various materials. Underground security is currently at maximum.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:56:21 pm by alway »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4363 on: July 21, 2010, 09:34:53 pm »

Today we left the entrance to the first two levels of cavern open for the first time ever.  We put weapon traps in place.  So far only three blind cave ogres managed to get through the traps.  They killed a rhesus maqaque and a couple of dogs before I finally drafted all seven of my miners who killed the ogres.  Oh, and the ogres also killed the girlfriend of the ex-Mayor who was responsible for the beating death of my only armorsmith.  The armorsmith was married and had three children, too.  It was justice that the ex-Mayor's girlfriend was killed.

That raw adamantine-loving ex-Mayor was about to get his in a hastily constructed drowning chamber when he lost the next election.  His successor wanted native aluminum and we had none, so that one drowned.  The next Mayor was one of a nice couple who had no strange tastes but they gave way to another lover of raw adamantine who likewise drowned.  The current one likes lay pewter and doors, and is very easy to keep happy.

We've had to turn let most of the plots go fallow because there is too much food in the fortress.  We have been making lots of iron, and we have limestone, so steel is next.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: July 21, 2010, 10:14:03 pm »

Had two untrained stray dogs kill a cave troll, cave crocodile, and a giant olm during our attempts to establish a settlement in the caverns.  It's quiet now, so hopefully we'll be able to get the place fortified before the S wanders in...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 3842