Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099570 times)

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4395 on: July 23, 2010, 03:45:24 pm »

Finally got back to playing dwarf fortress (didn't have much time to the past few weeks), and started "Workedshots"
a nice area, brook down the center, the southern end was mountainous and the north was heavily forested, in early winter the mountain half froze, by mid winter it all froze, and by late winter it was all thawed again.
everything ran smoothly for a while, steady influx of migrants until 85, got a military of 10 Dwarfs, all legendary shield users and some of them got up to legendary with their weapon of choice, goblin attacks became bi-seasonal, then stopped in a few years (got scared I guess?) and my military lost one dwarf (a speardwarf) to a goblin's bolt with no other serious wounds or injuries.
by year 5 or 6, a Giantess showed up and took up residence in the tombs (which are dug in opposite the main fortress's entrance over the brook)
she hung around the coffin if my one dead military dwarf, and the military (now 15 dwarfs strong) was dispatched to get rid of her, after an unreasonably long struggle, the giantess was dead, her body laying in the tomb opposite the one she had inhabited (right where the coffin would have been, which I found very appropriate).
the injured healed within a season and the new recruits (military up to 20 dwarfs, the largest it ever got) became competent, when my second encounter worth mentioning occurred, a bronze colossus.
it took up residence in the room where the bones of the giantess still lay, and stayed there, ignoring the fortress entirely for a while, my military took the time to upgrade their weapons to metal and were sent back to cleanse the tombs of evil..
they mobbed the colossus and started hacking away, doing significant damage that the colossus didn't seem to notice, 2 dead dwarves and 6 wounded later, the colossus was finally dead, and it's remains were used to decorate the fortress entrance.

now, one year after the colossus died, my fortress has come to an untimely end by something no dwarf can overcome - a bug or corruption that causes the save to crash at the end of winter, every single time.
too bad too, It was going better than any fort I've made since 40d

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: July 23, 2010, 04:31:38 pm »

I was surprised to see that nearly half of my miners had "No Job", since I had a lot of mining designated.  I took a closer look, and saw that they had gone insane.   :-[
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: July 23, 2010, 04:31:49 pm »

Elf merchants arrived for the 3rd time

They just never learn.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 23, 2010, 04:47:11 pm »

So, there was a forgotten beast in my fort earlier. Killed it with some effort from my (as previously explained) quite inexperienced yet surprisingly efficient militia. Turns out it had "deadly blood".

This deadly blood contaminates everything it touches. If it gets on the skin of something, the body part it has touched becomes infected and starts rotting up, which leads to death. This is a slow and agonizing process, and many victims have been spotted walking around with a cloud of miasma trailing after them, as their rotting body parts contaminate the air.

So, who have been affected so far?

My starting carpenter was foolish enough to walk shoeless over a puddle. Her feet rotted and she eventually died. Not after having lumbered around on rotten feet for a good two seasons, though.

Well, every other dwarf has shoes on just fine, so which other creatures in my fort is at risk? Cats. Every cat. And only cats.

I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse. On one hand, I finally get rid of some of the catsplosion I managed to rack up. On the other hand, the constantly trailing miasma clouds aren't helping the slowly accumulating tantrum.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: July 23, 2010, 05:14:48 pm »

So, there was a forgotten beast in my fort earlier. Killed it with some effort from my (as previously explained) quite inexperienced yet surprisingly efficient militia. Turns out it had "deadly blood".

This deadly blood contaminates everything it touches. If it gets on the skin of something, the body part it has touched becomes infected and starts rotting up, which leads to death. This is a slow and agonizing process, and many victims have been spotted walking around with a cloud of miasma trailing after them, as their rotting body parts contaminate the air.

So, who have been affected so far?

My starting carpenter was foolish enough to walk shoeless over a puddle. Her feet rotted and she eventually died. Not after having lumbered around on rotten feet for a good two seasons, though.

Well, every other dwarf has shoes on just fine, so which other creatures in my fort is at risk? Cats. Every cat. And only cats.

I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse. On one hand, I finally get rid of some of the catsplosion I managed to rack up. On the other hand, the constantly trailing miasma clouds aren't helping the slowly accumulating tantrum.

I love when that happens.

Wait until their shoes have rotted off from too much use, and they will then also catch it. Even if you make new shoes, they won't put them on, I've tried.
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: July 23, 2010, 05:24:34 pm »

I was surprised to see that nearly half of my miners had "No Job", since I had a lot of mining designated.  I took a closer look, and saw that they had gone insane.   :-[

How did that happen?

Also I'm currently at a loss as to what I should do. I can't decide if the road to my fortress should be above ground and consist of bridges, or have it travel bellow ground under the ocean (once I expand it to that area). I'm also wondering if invading Goblins would walk over the bridge road if it was the only way to my fortress. Then repelling them would be as simple as pulling one lever.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: July 23, 2010, 05:38:15 pm »

Well, just had a run in with a human diplomat, a scaly coati twisted in to human form.  After it ransacked the trade depot, it entered the fortress but thankfully beelined for a barracks to destroy its beds; I dug two channels to seal it in and caved in the ceiling on it, killing it.

That and a 100,000db floodgate.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: July 23, 2010, 05:40:00 pm »

Thank god Toady hasn't put in cholesterol simulation for dwarves.

1 raw fat = 1 tallow

So that "stew" is nothing but pure fat.
Urist cancels Eat: Arteries Clogged

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: July 23, 2010, 07:22:56 pm »

So that "stew" is nothing but pure fat.
Urist cancels Eat: Arteries Clogged

Hey, at least it's low carb.  Maybe these are Atkins dwarves.

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: July 23, 2010, 07:31:12 pm »

In that case they'll start breathing out miasma.  :o

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: July 23, 2010, 11:52:58 pm »

In my current fort, my militia commander has had her right arm/hand horribly maimed multiple times, yet always pulls through thanks to my (one) medical dwarf, my first artifact happened to be a steel right gauntlet named pure revenge, with marks of a long sword on them, my second artifact is an incendium longsword (civ forge mod), I gave her both and since then she has yet to be defeated or hurt.  She even has a child whos survived 4 ambushers battles.
Nom nom nom

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: July 24, 2010, 12:39:40 am »

Finally finished with upgrading my entrance. So why am I not happy? It wasn't bad enough that the four green glass portals ended up sitting in huge piles of mud and are now an ugly brown. Of course not. As I was finishing up reinstalling the last few clear glass walls in the aquarium tunnel, one quietly turned red. Horrified, I checked, and sure enough it was the blood of the stupid marksdwarf that got killed by a trousers-wielding scorpion over six months ago!

All the clear glass was of recent manufacture. The only dwarf nearby was free of blood, as was his inventory. No other dwarves had been in the area recently. There were no blood trails from where the marksdwarf died. As far as I can tell, the only place that blood exists on the entire map is the site of the killing--and smeared all over the walls of my grand entrance. Did it seep through the aquifer?!?

And so my vision of a desert oasis with pristine waters swirling around a crystal stairway into the earth degenerates into a murky pool of blood and muck.

Having said that, I am pleased that in the new version I was able to finally start hunting. (Pity all the bone I was going to make into bolts was seized for an artifact--I'll have to use some of my limited wood reserve.) Group training is going well, and I just can't wait for the Biting demonstration.  :D

(edit:) Nevermind, none of this happened due to a crash when I was preparing to put my new military on guard duty. Seasonal autosave isn't frequent enough for aquifer work. :(

Looking on the bright side though, my expedition leader no longer wasted a strange mood on creating a vulture bone warhammer. Not only did it not menace with any spikes, it wasn't encircled with bands of anything and didn't even any images of dorfs eating cheese! Value: 1080 dwarfbux. Laaaaame.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:47:31 am by Beardless »
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: July 24, 2010, 01:40:02 am »

Made an interesting discovery.  When the baron is idle with no labors enabled, his status is described as "Noble" (in purple).  Labors can be turned on normally.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: July 24, 2010, 02:40:37 am »

I made a real cool pit/trap setup, which has run into a snag. There's a goblin at the bottom of the pit, which can freely attempt to leave (it's unlikely to manage it, but it can try :P), but possibly due to both broken legs, is deciding to stand there. Eternally, like the ones I had trapped under a bridge from two years ago. And if any dwarves wander into the area, they hide in a corner from the goblin swordsman in the bottom of the pit until they die of hunger or thirst. So, now I get to take my lack of military with scavenged goblin weaponry, and see if the immobile goblin swordsman can still slice things up in self defense.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: July 24, 2010, 03:54:37 am »

So a goblin ambush struck while the dwarven caravan was visiting my fledgling fort and while the hastily constructed stone fall traps dispatched a couple of invaders, the rest got through with a smattering of minor and moderate injuries.  With no military to speak of and no metal production up and running, I was forced to lock the doors and leave the merchant guards to fend off the goblins.  Except it seems the goblin leader was caught in our last line of defense - one line deep cage traps - just before they rounded the corner to the trade depot, meaning the entire ambush group stopped in the corridor just out of sight/reach of the guards.

Time passes and eventually the merchants decide it's time to leave.  A bit more time passes and they actually do leave, and sure enough bump into the goblins.  A pack horse dies, a merchant gets a few broken bones, but for the most part the guards tore up the goblins.  And all is well.

Except.  I forgot that the liaison was not with the caravan proper, and was instead still inside behind our locked doors.  Unable to leave and left behind by his merchant contingent, he went insane, stricken by melancholy.  I quickly unlocked the doors to let him go, and he slowly stumbled along the corridors to the outside world.  In a "what's the point in going on?" moment, he hurled himself off my drawbridge into the moat.  Except the moat is only 1 z-level deep, and I've not got around to filling it with anything yet.  And it even has ramps leading back out.  So the poor suicidal dwarf couldn't even kill himself and continues his erratic path away from our fortress.  "A diplomat has left unhappy".  Indeed.

Thing is, he did actually make it off the map before he died of hunger or thirst (or at least the version insane npcs use such that they keel over after a while).  So roll on to next year and the caravan returns, and lo and behold the liaison is back, still in a state of melancholy.  Each year he returns, never quite managing to kill himself, stumbling around my fortress in a state of depression, and each year he successfully makes it home where apparently the moat, like ours - and the liaisons new life outlook - is shallow and empty.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 3842