Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Grass!  (Read 6203 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Grass!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 04:43:15 pm »

Yea, barely and wheat are forms of grass aren't then? Maybe we'll be getting thatchers too.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 05:23:47 pm »

Evil grass should grow faster in blood stained tiles.

Don't fall asleep on the evil grass, you will regret it.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 06:26:17 pm »

Evil grass should grow faster in blood stained tiles.

No, that's not evil grass, that's Armok grass.
Magma is overrated.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 06:42:38 pm »

I'm totally going to bring this up next time I try to get someone into DF.

"Sorry, I just can't get past those ASCII graphics."
"But it has 18 types of graaaaaaaasssss!!"

That having been said, what exactly does this mean? What makes "evil" grass evil? What's the point of all these types of grass? I'm curious.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »

What's the point of all these types of stone? What's the point of all these kinds of animal?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 07:16:28 pm »

The evil grass, is probably for ambience, for fun. It could have game play impact, but nothing can be said to that affect right now.

The different kinds of grass, is for internal logic and for Toady end gaol of making a world simulator. DF uses real life for its base line and inspiration. As we go back to the Panda example, it would be weird for them to graze on everyday yard grass when their diet consist of bamboo and metal spoons.

So yea, you have everyday grass then specialize grass such as bamboo and the underground flora. That would be at least 3 different grasses, and these category could use more types for variety.
--
They may have different gameplay affects right now, but that remains unknown.

One player wants to plant sod (I think thats the right  word) on top of dormitories for hobbit holes. I spoke about thatching.

I recall Toady speaking to the eventual farming overhaul with plants requiring different requirements to grow well, such as soil nutrition and watering. Though nothing was spoken to about nutrient content about the plants, it may come into play and these expansive grasses could have it, affecting herd sizes over time. (Though probably only noticeably in world gen, if anywhere.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:25:12 pm by MrWiggles »

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 07:18:27 pm »

I'm looking forward to the date when we can plant groves of fruit-bearing trees and bushes.  As silly as it might sound, I could totally dig playing DF as a game doing gardening, landscaping and alchemy.  Well, in addition to the building of a fortress.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 07:19:39 pm »

such as soul nutrition and watering

Look. For the last time. Aretha Franklin is not appropriate to the tech level of this game. I don't care what advancements were being made in China at the time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »

such as soul nutrition and watering

Look. For the last time. Aretha Franklin is not appropriate to the tech level of this game. I don't care what advancements were being made in China at the time.

But but but but but...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:28 pm »

I'm looking forward to the date when we can plant groves of fruit-bearing trees and bushes.  As silly as it might sound, I could totally dig playing DF as a game doing gardening, landscaping and alchemy.  Well, in addition to the building of a fortress.

I dig this idea along with any other idea for a slightly more passive playstyle (one, caravan runner, has been confirmed for .19).

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 07:36:35 pm »

That does remind me of Elona, where instead of planting fruit-bearing trees I'd steal them from the wilderness. Yes, my character got strong enough to uproot entire trees, carry them back to his farm and plop them back into the ground where they'd make fruit to be turned into sherberts, crepes and ice cream... using a barbeque set.

Anyway yes, one day we will see the megaproject "Hanging Gardens of Dwarfdom".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 09:31:28 pm »

What's the point of all these types of stone? What's the point of all these kinds of animal?
The different stones and animals have unique properties, and provide a lot of variety. I'm sure there will be a use for these grass types, it's just hard to imagine what it will be.

...Except the evil grass which will probably be something like this.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 12:33:14 am »

This makes me happy as shit. I can't wait to assign immigrants to be hay balers! hohohoho.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 01:19:40 pm »

As we go back to the Panda example, it would be weird for them to graze on everyday yard grass when their diet consist of bamboo and metal spoons.

There is no spoon.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 01:41:26 am »

As a note, would it be possibly to plant seed?  I'd like to go out in to the middle of a barren desert, and make an oasis.  Perhaps spread around trees and plants, make a nice watering hole from the caverns...
Pages: 1 [2] 3