Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108051 times)

mrb4b00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2730 on: May 09, 2010, 08:58:27 am »

My fort is under siege for two years straight.  Although my doors are open and my 2 legendary axedorf makes short work of anything that does comes near, the goblins just stayed out and roasted marshmallows.  There are about 60 of them now and I am not sure what to do once they all decided to rush in. 

Also managed to watch a lone goblin soloed all 7 of my newly created but well equipped axedwarf.  The goblin emerged unscathed and killed one dwarf while maiming the others.  I think I am going to throw him down the pit now.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2731 on: May 09, 2010, 10:20:08 am »

15th Obsidian, 1056

Weighting her +steel battle axe+, Kenbesmar waited patiently. So was Eshtânatel beside her, only she readjusted baby daughter that cling her chest instead. There came Logemfikod, carrying a barrel of swamp whiskey with him. A father of 3, he was doing well to establish his own dynasty, for if this fort was to be doing as in it's first six years, giving birth to only 7 children and none official marriages, Logemfikod's family name might just became a predominant in further years to come.
What would not strike Kenbesmar as surprising. Given how busy her home was she wondered how her brother-in-arms managed to find time for a family in the first place.

Was it strange she never even had a chance to properly talk to him, despite they were both serving under in the same squad, training under the same captain? Probably not. For even Dedukamost, her captain and also militia commander of this fort, was nothing more than a passing acquaintance to her. Ever since she was drafted, Kenbesmar spent most of her time honing her battle skills alone, very rarely being bothered by goblins that sometimes decided to lay in ambush outside, hoping to sneak past all them ever-busy haulers and kittens. To plunder and pillage deep in the heart of the fortress. "Quite foolishly," she added to herself.

Not that she would care. Them greenskins provided a a bloody yet short streak of entertainment for her. But yes, they were somehow rare, under-equipped, under-trained and she had to share them with other squad members, almost complete strangers to her. A quick bloodbath and then back to train some more. Only occasionally did she hear about exploits in the deep. Forges were busy (as the rest of the fort). Many crafts were crafted. Encrusted with precious gems found in never-ending mining shafts bellow. There was also a project of a grand treasury in the motion. She was more interested in the new defence scheme however, involving multiple tall towers and walls, bridges and moats. Alas, that proved to be still just a rumour, for no work has even started, as far as she knew.

But pondering a thought about treasury, she returned to goblins. Not a while ago they finally decided to lay a siege on Misnish, her home fort. Again, foolishly. She was baffled what an incompetent yet wealth-hungry fool would siege Hazytraded with just a squad of lashers in silk clothes and armed with whips? Probably that hammer wielding, giant olm ridding goblin whose guts mixed with his friends' soon after reaching the main gate.

But now...
Again she glanced at her equipment. Full steel. Full plate. She was highly trained in the ways of axe-fighting. She trusted her skills. But despite her tension was slowly building. One level above a first squad of invaders was slowly approaching. These were not as those few months ago.
She leaned, carefully, around the corner. She could hear them. Bowgoblins. Ridding cave crocodiles. A distant cry, a warning of group of trolls that made their ways to the main gate. Informations also spoke of a squad of greenskins, armed with pikes and ridding other fell beast of the depths.
This was bound to become interesting, eve dangerously so.
The first of the invaders approached down the slope and around the corner...

Also
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/Radicalaces/dead.png?t=1273372352
Nice picture and story behind it.  ;D
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: May 09, 2010, 12:01:59 pm »

Just had something... kinda awesome happen I guess? Not for me though.
 A forgotten beast came out of a cavern, giant skinless skunk with deadly blood. The thing went down easily enough but the exploding eyeballs eventually took care of the rest of my fort.
Except for a fisherdwarf and his three cats. I thought, oh, this will be cool, I'll bring my fortress back Brozemurdered style, write and epic story about it and everything. Not so much.
An ambush, curse them!
4 kolbolds came out of nowhere and started attacking the poor dwarf and his cats. He broke one of their toes before going down.
 I decided to let them keep the fortress, I guess they kind of deserve it.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: May 09, 2010, 01:06:06 pm »

Wow, kobolds taking over a dwarven fortress.  It's going to become a massive kobold holiday now.

Hringlebess.  The day a small group of kobold adventurers, defied their elders, and attacked the Dwarven fortress anyway, ignoring the others saying it can't be done.  And they succeeded! They enjoyed their new home until the goblins showed up, expecting dwarves and kicked the poor things to the curb.

CirnoKobolds:I'm the strongest!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:23:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2734 on: May 09, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »

My living flats ares coming along nicely!  :D

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 09, 2010, 10:16:10 pm »

Not really my fort, but I've been getting whooped by massive swarms of animals in NetHack. Are they really supposed to show up in such great numbers like that? I killed so many, the game stopped counting! There was never an open space in any direction!

They were wererats and werejackals.

Nethackian wererats and werejackals can summon more of their kind, including ordinary rats and jackals. Try dropping them from a distance before they can summon more, if possible. What are you playing as?

I always play as Healer. Stone to Flesh FTW.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: May 09, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »

My living flats ares coming along nicely!  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did something like this on a smaller scale in one of my older forts. How many z-levels will it be when done?

Also, mine was 6 z-levels and underground. The lag from stone killed my fort.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:43:14 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2737 on: May 09, 2010, 10:57:40 pm »

Two Z-levels for the commoners (each level has 60 rooms), another for the medium nobles, and some floors reserved for the baron.

With the manager at the very top.  Because everyone knows the baron is the manager's bitch.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 09, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My dwarven fort experience is now complete. Well mostly. I still need to build a complicated building for no reason.

"Baby Cancels Clean self: Too Insane"

I'm happy.

Plus I'm getting seiged for the first time on my first 31.03 fort. ;'D

EDIT: Okay. This seige sucks. I'm also now under attack by a FB. He's a feathered mouse. So now, I've got a tantruming fort under attack by goblins and a forgotten beast. x_x I think this is the end of my epic adventure at roof sun. D:

"Prepare for glory! O:<"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:07:17 am by Kamudo »
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 10, 2010, 02:17:57 am »

Just putting the final touches on my main factory floor. Got slowed up because that last wave of goblins killed some of my good people -- they're on display in the zoo, for everyone to sneer at.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 10, 2010, 02:38:51 am »

From the look of the fort you posted it's not the stone that's killing your FPS, its the massive gobs of up/down stairs you've installed. They play hell on pathfinding. Go with ramps instead.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2741 on: May 10, 2010, 02:44:38 am »

Continuing my battle report...

19th Obsidian, 1056

A severed head sailed off in an arc.
Kenbesmar stood up. It was all over. Intestines of cave crocodiles and giant olms mixed with those of their greenskin masters. Crude iron gear and blood-soaked silk socks littered the hallways and hung from shrubs just outside the main gate. Coating of red and cyan made walls rather interesting now. The goblin siege has failed. And inhabitants of Misnish, "Hazytraded", were just about to start another busy day.

Looking back, only a rain of blood and pancreases was what she remembered of this past four days. It started with the first invader coming around the corner. What was his last thought when he (or maybe she?), all alone, faced a squad of full armour clad dwarfs, waiting to see his blood run as much as he was waiting to collect some new trophies? Even if Kenbesmar knew that, his end would not be any less bloody. As was his comrades'. During the fight of this first strike team she could feel   a shroud of warrior's focus and cold hatred envelope Uzolshedim, member of her squad. An experienced warrior he was, the one to land a killing blow to the dragon Keshan who tried to steal riches from the fort last year. But despite or maybe right because of this martial trance Uzolshedim suddenly burst to, Kenbesmar chuckled, one of cave crocodiles fled in terror as his greenskin rider was made short in his seat. The creature made it past all battle-frenzied dwarfs and into the fortress. Fortunately, one of Kenbesmar's squad members (who was that again? She could not remember) run and drove an axe into amphibians head.

After this engagement, there came trolls. Tall, muscular creatures with horns, tusks. It was the first time Kenbesmar actually saw how lively cyan their blood is. Most unfitting to these disgusting creatures yet quite amusingly so.
Another troll came down the ramps. It was probably the hollow stare of his brethren's decapitated heads on the floor that instilled fear in him for he turned back and run back the way he came from. A pair of dwarf warriors followed. Rushing upwards they caught him one level above, slaying him. But suddenly, arrows filled the hallways. It seemed that bowgoblins of the first squad were not all finished. Dodging and blocking, dwarfs fall back to the rest of the squad. A short moment of catching breath. Everyone looked at their squad captain. Calm, emotionless nod. This time, a whole squad charged up the ramps. Shields up, heads down. Their steel armour protected them well, not one suffered the injury after bowgoblins were no more. Spotting last of the trolls, the pushed onwards and past the main gate, emerging victorious.

Still, it was not over. As Kenbesmar stood under the bright, slightly nauseating sun, she could smell them greenskin somewhere around. Another glance at her captain. Again, she nodded, this tome slightly irritated. Alcohol craving slowly creped to them all and despite the slaughter they all enjoyed, no dwarf would be satisfied with drinking blood, even if it came in barrels. Everyone just wanted to finish this and get themselves a well deserved drink.
So, quickening the phase once more, they moved to the source of distant goblin hisses. Soon they could see them, slowly marching up the hill, somehow undecided if they were to pursue this siege any further. Noticing Kenbrsmar and the others, they lowered their pikes, ready for a fight. Not knowing it would be their final.
Kenbesmar, driven by the thought of the booze soon to be drunk, focused and put all her acquired battle lore in this fight. Together with squad leader they unleashed a furry of precise blows, hacking, slashing, as other axedwars followed.

Now, Kenbesmar once again weighted her +steel battle axe+ as she walked back to the fort entrance. A drink, oh yes, a well deserved drink...

On the other note,
From the look of the fort you posted it's not the stone that's killing your FPS, its the massive gobs of up/down stairs you've installed. They play hell on pathfinding. Go with ramps instead.
Wow, I did not know that. So ramps are the way to go then?

Also, nice forts, everyone. It's 9.43 AM here, I wish everyone a bright and succesfull (working) day! :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:17:29 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 10, 2010, 02:47:13 am »

Hi!

Right now, I am watching the beautiful clouds of miasma coming from the corpse of the giant jaguar which died of old age in my dining room (T_T)...

Since the next version seems to be coming some time soon AND my dwarf breeding has failed yet again (I simply work the fellows too much), I have given up on long time plans, and instead ordered them to start digging for another test run for my underground city fortress. With a population of only 13 dwarves, I don't know how far I will get, although it would be nice if at least the lower quarters/sleeping quarters could be ready. But it is a horrible amount of rock they have to dig (T_T).

It's a good thing I had been trading for a lot of drinks - I had over 4,000 units of drink and I haven't been trading ever since I sent them digging... so, now I a, down to over 3,400 drinks. Food is no problem as I still have too many cubs and foals around and there is long enough a queue for slaughtering jobs (plus the foxes that lose their heads over my nice weapon traps). Thus, all farming has been stopped.

Deathworks

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: May 10, 2010, 06:56:36 am »

Micro-ruddy-management.

Due to a sudden influx of Migrants, and unchecked production of Food, Beer and Dwarven Goodies™ I now have serious pathing issues. I accounted for movement fine, just not Item Storage. Dwarves are trying to pick up the same item, rushing to plonk their cargo down before someone beats them then tantruming when they realise theyve been in the queue (qq?) for two seasons still holding that sewer brew complaining of thirst... >.>

And my miners wont dig out the new "Super Mega Large Compartmentalised Stockpile" (SMLCS™) due to said QQ'ing. \o/

In other news Electrum Throne with engraving of Electrum Throne in Electrum is most vain Throne in History: more News on that at 10.

Finally, Mechanic Urist McFail has been jailed and is pending sentencing due to failure to comply with strict Anti-elf policy.
Urist McFail was ordered to construct an Elf Flinger, however when a elven merchant arrived the contraption did not function, it is believed it was missing a vital mechanism and its only mechanism in place was made of... Wood.
The Mechanic is looking at a Death sentence however the jury is hung on wether it should be Magma Burial or Armok Hammering in the throne room.

Detectives are also questioning people as to the location of the current Expedition Leader, who is mysteriously missing. A New leader has not been elected and it is suspected that he is working in League with Elves to turn these dwarves to Elven ways of living. It has only just been recently that they built a Metal Workshop with Ashery and Charcoal Factory. Elves 0, Dwarves 1.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:01:09 am by Xzalander »
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: May 10, 2010, 07:20:44 am »

I just found a cavern with nothing in it except a forest of blood thorns. Blood-red beds for everyone!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 3842