Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108061 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2760 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:39 pm »

Dolomite has talc. FUCKTONS of it. Replacing the magnetite.

All right, a sedimentary layer!  Gonna get me some magnetite!  8)

You have struck talc!

>:(
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 10, 2010, 11:37:38 pm »

The river water passing towards my fortress suddenly and mysteriously turned to ice as it passed under the grates that were going to be drains for my waterfall machine. Am I missing something here? Since when does water turn to ice by going into the fort?

Otherwise, all is well.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: May 11, 2010, 12:46:22 am »

That's no fort, it's refrigerator.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 11, 2010, 04:35:45 am »

..nothing, at the moment. DF has crashed three times previously, one year into the game from previous save....And there goes all my hard work making armour and weapons, digging out a more convieneint underground forest room other than the dangerous caverns, killing off all the unicorns and elephants my stupid hunters enrage before I can stop them... Perhaps this time I should turn invaders on. Or just not play DF from thumbdrive. Do forgotten beasts respect [invaders:no]?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 11, 2010, 04:43:34 am »

The river water passing towards my fortress suddenly and mysteriously turned to ice as it passed under the grates that were going to be drains for my waterfall machine. Am I missing something here? Since when does water turn to ice by going into the fort?

Your fort's probably straddling two different biomes, one colder than the other. I've had it happen before. It's pretty cool once you get used to it.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 11, 2010, 04:46:17 am »

Hi!

Your fort's probably straddling two different biomes, one colder than the other. I've had it happen before. It's pretty cool once you get used to it.

I was wondering, do rivers have special freeze protection, that is do they freeze later than murky ponds and the like? If that were the case, I would wonder if the passing through the grates may have changed the status of the water (just as we had in the 2D version where you actually had two types of water (sorry about the hazy memory)? Just putting this up for thought.

Deathworks

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 11, 2010, 05:02:51 am »

Don't think so. As far as I know it's biome-based. My last big fort had three biomes of different temperature, and I could count on all the little ponds in each to freeze and defreeze in the same order each year as well as the river and lake. I don't think murky pools have different water itself, it's just the tile's properties that are a bit different ("if raining + not full, slowly fill up"). Water freezes the same way regardless of its body.

Then again, something completely different may be happening in opsneakie's fort. The multiple biomes thing is just an idea.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: May 11, 2010, 06:13:53 am »

Hi!

I was wondering, do rivers have special freeze protection, that is do they freeze later than murky ponds and the like? If that were the case, I would wonder if the passing through the grates may have changed the status of the water (just as we had in the 2D version where you actually had two types of water (sorry about the hazy memory)? Just putting this up for thought.

Deathworks

No, freezing is instantaneous. Doesn't matter if it's pool, river or brook, they all freeze at the same time.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #2768 on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:03 am »

I have fortress carved into walls of deep cave with big lake (only connections to cave is some carved fortifications and one open area for fishing). Fortress is ~15 levels above my main smelter area. And I wanted to do a small obsidian casting area. For this I had to tap into cavern lake from one of the fortress tunnels.

My setup was simple: water shaft with lever-controlled floodgate, and grates covering a hole to casting area. The miner has to break the outer wall of lake (3 z-levels deep in the water, by the way) and retreat (or be pushed by water) few tiles back, to the grates area. I ordered to dig through a wall and paused to step through it if something went wrong. One of my two miners are breached the wall and the fun ensued.

Well, not the kind of fun that bring the entire fortress to its knees. The water filled the shaft and casting area almost instantly. Moreover, the miner wasn't pushed backwards: he walked against the flow and out to the cave full of blind ogres and rutherers (which were awfully close to new water intake point). When miner decided he'll take a swim in the lake I ordered closing the floodgate and it was closed just in time to save half of fortress from drowning (including smelters area below), but the miner was now sealed outside. He swimmed to the muddy shore ~30 tiles from the fortress, without armor, with a pick as his only weapon. I immdiately turned off most of his labors and ordered him to dig a shelter, and wall himself  inside so he has time to dig into one of my tunnels without rutherers interrupting him. Sadly, he decided to construct the wall while standing outside of his new bunker. Then I proceeded to dig channel to separate the shore from the rest of the cave. Right now he dug out the channel and in process of removing ramps in it. I designated shore as water source so he can drink (but will he drink?). At the same time, fortress dwarves are building a temporary rescue bridge to the same shore. Rutherers are walking around, but hasn't got to miner yet (the cavern is full of twisty little passages near this shore, and I have to channel only these to keep the cavern fauna away).

Now the lonely survivor is finishing his improvised moat, rescue team is buildig a bridge, militia is ready to fight (though I haven't met rutherers before and not sure if I want to battle them with only bronze weapons and armor).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:05:25 am by kurokikaze »
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

daoist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 11, 2010, 09:30:04 am »

The Engineers report that the grand entryway / drowning chamber is finally ready to go, so that's a plus. We have had problems with troglodytes, though. Ever since the boys down in the mines broke through to that cave system they've been wandering up. A few cage traps cuts down on the damage and they're good practice for the marksdwarves to beat on in hand-to-hand with their crossbows.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2770 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:06 am »

Canyonlance map (link)

Not much to say except that it's a good example of designs using ramps instead of stairs. I get steady 100FPS on this type of map without any problems. Feel free to examine my designs and comment if you feel like it.
Absolutely lovely.
Beautifully effective and incredibly well-placed.
Thank you for this marvelous display of arcitectural aesthetics.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 11, 2010, 10:38:55 am »

Hi!

Tastypaste: Thank you for clarifying that. I guess I got a bit nervous because of pressurized and non-pressurized water in the current version.

Anyhow, because I needed it to illustrate something in the argument about dwarven work ethics, I have actually just uploaded my current fortress map. It may be a bit interesting as I have made it a race between my dwarves and Toady One: Will they succeed in finishing that area before the next release comes out, or will 31.04 squash their ambitions?

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-23439-adiggingwewillgo

And yes, after digging that area, most of the levels need to be channelled (after the outer walls have been engraved, of course. And the bottom level will be completely engraved, streets and walls alike, once the channelling is done (just as to avoid any accidents.

So, it is 12 dwarves (some of them favoring woodcutting) against Toady One!
:) :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: May 11, 2010, 10:41:17 am »

Just started my first fort by the sea... so far I'm puzzled by the driftwood and other trinkets washing ashore, as I cant seem to claim them :/
This will also be my first fort with some modding, making my dorfs go insanely fast and never sleep :D
Planning to see if I can build part of the fort above the sea, maybe kill a whale or summing...

Everybody died of thirst.... no more seaside forts for me :) I thought the isolated pools would have fresh water in them :/

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:33 am »

Newest fortress, named Whitefortress.  Elves came by and traded me some animals, the muskox I got I planned on immediately butchering. But it wouldn't show up in the animals list.  So I designated a pit on the hole in the middle of my central staircase.  Goes 15 z levels down from the surface, just short of the first cavern.

I go into the pit list, intending to drop the animal they just entrusted into my care down the pit while they watch, and in the pit list I notice an Alligator in the animal list.  I don't recall having an alligator so I decide to pit that as well just to see what happens.   Sure enough a hauler walks up to the depot, steals the gator from there, presumably from the elves, and drops it down the pit.

I just discovered a new way to torture the elves.  Not only do they get to watch the animals they gave to me die horrible deaths, I can also arbitrarily grab animals from them while they are packing up to leave and throw them down the pit. (This is WHITEFORTRESS!)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:53 am »

Hi!

Greiger: If you have animals that don't show up in the animal display of the status screen, you can still slaughter them by viewing the animal on the map and checking their labor preferences. Given that slaughtering is instantaneous, while butchering half a dozen muskox pieces probably takes quite a while, I would suggest you go for the normal method :) :) :) :)

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 3842