Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108071 times)

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2715 on: May 08, 2010, 09:30:19 pm »

My fort just got destroyed by a giant flying rock crystal forgotten beast that breathed fire that bee lined for my cavern fort.

got sad that my first 31.03 fort was destroyed so I sketched a quick picture of it.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/Radicalaces/dead.png?t=1273372352
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:33:25 pm by radicalaces »

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: May 08, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »

Not really my fort, but I've been getting whooped by massive swarms of animals in NetHack. Are they really supposed to show up in such great numbers like that? I killed so many, the game stopped counting! There was never an open space in any direction!

They were wererats and werejackals.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 09, 2010, 12:11:16 am »

Got my first fey mood, but the dwarf was calling for body parts. I had body parts. He didn't want them. Worse, the dwarf in question was my expedition leader. So yeah, gave up on that fortress.

This time around I embarked on yet another major river (47 tiles wide). The thing is, this one has an aquifier, so I made sure it was in a freezing biome. When I embarked, the river was nowhere to be found, and my wagon was sitting in the middle of a flat, snow-covered field. Kinda suspicious, yes? I paused, and hit SHIFT+. to see what was up.

They embarked right on top of the river. Am I lucky or what?

EDIT: Unfortunately, fun didn't get a chance to happen. Damn aquifiers... both miners wound up getting encased in ice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:27:11 am by Batta »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 09, 2010, 12:30:54 am »

Not really my fort, but I've been getting whooped by massive swarms of animals in NetHack. Are they really supposed to show up in such great numbers like that? I killed so many, the game stopped counting! There was never an open space in any direction!

IIRC, don't they replicate themselves? Or am I thinking of ADOM? I think ADOM werejackals would howl and summon plain jackals. I dunno, I played NetHack for only a few months. Never even came close to finishing the game.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: May 09, 2010, 12:33:58 am »

Well, my expedition leader just worked himself to death. One more mega project blown to shit.

I'm currently considering messing around with DFhack for a while, there's a whole lot of interesting little tools that I've been wanting to make.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: May 09, 2010, 12:38:48 am »

After a series of sieges, some won, some lost, I was forced to abandon as the only dwarves left alive were children inside a flooding, blood covered hellhole. All a trap meant to catch the demon posing as a law-giver of the local goblin civilization. It escaped the flooding trap at the last instant, but I *will* get revenge.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: May 09, 2010, 01:27:20 am »

Nethackian wererats and werejackals can summon more of their kind, including ordinary rats and jackals. Try dropping them from a distance before they can summon more, if possible. What are you playing as?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: May 09, 2010, 02:40:06 am »

In my continuing fort of Roofsun, which is my first 31 fort, since I spent the first several weeks doing adventure mode, my Armorer just created Stopchopped the Dwindling glow. It's an Iron buckler with Gneiss encrusting it, and iron studs and rope reed and onyx.

First thing I though was slap chop. xD
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: May 09, 2010, 02:54:17 am »

Found a nice site with a magma pipe, plenty of trees, and obsidian (no flux, but plenty of sand and wood to make clear glass to trade for steel)...

...only problem is, the wagon's too close to the magma pipe so once I had finished digging out my basic fort, fire imps emerged and mauled everyone.  Fortunately, though, I did end up getting 14 dwarves on reclaim with plenty of good steel equipment and they proceeded to teach the imps that had occupied the fort a lesson in dwarven justice.  We lost two dwarves in the battle, but it wasn't a big deal and now things are coming along nicely.  The biggest challenge so far has been getting a chair made so I could finally claim the massive amount of stone and wood clogging up my fort. 

Also, when I checked Legends to see what had happened in the year between withering and reclaim, it appears human civilizations have inexplicably decided to found a town that had originally died out 870 years prior after an elven attack...not sure if they each refounded Prankedshields independently or if it was just going back and forth in some kind of war.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: May 09, 2010, 04:43:42 am »

I'VE CAUGHT A PLUMP HELMET MAN!

Any ideas on what to do with it?Arena it?Sell it?Get another and breed it?Brew it alive?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2726 on: May 09, 2010, 04:54:19 am »

Like, EAT IT, man, eat the Plump Helmet man, man.

In other news:
I had a first siege in my current fortress not while ago (It arrived just shortly after starting to smetl some 20 pieces of gold ore despite many electrum crafts I forged. Coincidence?)
Their force consisting of a squad of lashers led by hammer goblin riding a giant olm was no match for my main defense squad of axedorfs.

However.

As said that siege happened not while ago.
Right now I am besieged by another vile force of darkness.
This time consisting of 15 pikemen, 15 bowmen, 2 elite bowmen, 16 cave crocodile mounts, 16 giant olm mounts and 3 trolls.
Accompanied by a troll bowyer, troll animal dissector, troll siege operator and troll clothier.

Seems like another round of troll related jokes is bound to come, yes?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: May 09, 2010, 05:26:29 am »

Welcome to Whipsubmerged.

I had 50 dwarfs.Now I have 21.Luckily all my soldiers were legendary and well equipped.But that's not what matters.What matters is that they killed my f-ing ELEPHANT!RAEG!

The plump helmet man will have to wait...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: May 09, 2010, 05:29:25 am »

I've been playing around with the high efficiency mining patterns from the wiki. I'm using the diagonal ramp pattern that only requires you to mine 11% of the ground in order to explore 100% of the map. Made a template for the QuickFort application to make the designations faster. Got five whole z-levels explored in less time than it normally takes to do one. Now my gem stockpile is full and I've got enough bituminous coal and lignite to power me metal industry for years to come. (I'm staying out of the caverns this time because of indestructible Forgotten Beasts, so no magma forges).

Got my infinite mist machine running in the dining hall. Masterwork engravings all over the place. A pack of war grizzly bears. A bauxite block pyramid over my entrance. My workshops are all connected to my new flood system so berserk dwarfs who claim the shops can be disposed of without any danger to the rest of the population (I'm losing a lot of dwarfs who want body parts even though I have a stockpile full of them). I installed a series of stone cross-shaped "blinds" around my entrance to protect dwarfs from goblin arrows. The longest open area is only 6 tiles across so dwarfs can't be sniped from long distances, but caravans can still get in.

Other than mood bugs, everything in my fort is running smoothly and at the highest possible efficiency. Most of my dwarfs just spend all year long partying in the misty dining hall. This is the golden era of Helmedkin.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: May 09, 2010, 05:33:00 am »

I was forced to abandon as the only dwarves left alive were children inside a flooding, blood covered hellhole

This is Dwarf Fort. It's supposed to be a flooding, blood covered hellhole.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 3842