Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2756 2757 [2758] 2759 2760 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113558 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41355 on: May 17, 2015, 10:01:43 am »

Took control of the first cavern layer, years after a surgical strike for silk was carried out. Cage traps dotted all over, a second specially-named soldier, and am now sending a squad down a long, deep cave-like structure like you see in Adventure mode, but in the caverns... any idea if this'll be interesting?
One wheel short of a wagon

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41356 on: May 17, 2015, 10:09:33 am »

Killed a giant and made the killer a Champion.

Found Magma. Now I have to carve a ~100-z track for moving Ores and Finished Items up and down between the Forges, Smelters and so on and the Fortress.

And I need to start the clothing industry ASAP, as my miners are starting running around naked.
How can I safely dispose of such thorn clothes with magma?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41357 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:36 am »

Would building cabinets to put them in be an insane suggestion?

EDIT: No need to reply on cave/chute structure. It has a blind cave ogre in it. Worth capturing? I'm not sure...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:15:38 am by NJW2000 »

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41358 on: May 17, 2015, 10:21:43 am »

Killed a giant and made the killer a Champion.

Found Magma. Now I have to carve a ~100-z track for moving Ores and Finished Items up and down between the Forges, Smelters and so on and the Fortress.

And I need to start the clothing industry ASAP, as my miners are starting running around naked.
How can I safely dispose of such thorn clothes with magma?

i dont think i have ever in my half a year or so carear of dwarfing around ever started a clothing industry :/    does it even matter?

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41359 on: May 17, 2015, 10:33:21 am »

They already have cabinets in their rooms.
And no, clothing is not really necessary as you can easily buy the clothes from caravans. But if I can produce it, I will!

Also, for the first time I didn't turtle for a siege but I sent the Hammers to destroy the goblins. Of course it helped my dwarves are Lords and the gobbos were recruits...
They managed to injury a couple of dwarves who didn't weare boots...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41360 on: May 17, 2015, 10:44:45 am »

And no, clothing is not really necessary as you can easily buy the clothes from caravans. But if I can produce it, I will!

Also, for the first time I didn't turtle for a siege but I sent the Hammers to destroy the goblins. Of course it helped my dwarves are Lords and the gobbos were recruits...

i just never gave a fuck about it...i only resently started trading as well.

which brings me to it. is there some sort of a downside to selling axe trap parts? or is it just really easy to exploit trading with those?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41361 on: May 17, 2015, 11:29:34 am »

Trap parts and prepared meals make trading so laughably unbalanced that it's looked down upon.

which brings me to it. is there some sort of a downside to selling axe trap parts? or is it just really easy to exploit trading with those?

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41362 on: May 17, 2015, 11:59:00 am »

Trap parts and prepared meals make trading so laughably unbalanced that it's looked down upon.

yeah...they should lower the price for selling those things. seriously. just 4 or 5 trap parts and you can rip off the traders of everything they own.

speaking of dicks. im in sort of a trouble in my latest embark. does anybody know how to melt ice easily? i dont have magma or anything.. and i normally dont do any of this melting shit. but i dont have any underground farm land and no outside usable seed....not that it would help since im in a biome that regulary gets these wind gusts that turns everybody into husks!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41363 on: May 17, 2015, 12:41:13 pm »

You're screwed.  Even if you carry those ice boulder things inside and let them melt, they only become a mess to be cleaned up, like spilled booze, not the magical kind of water which makes mud and can be drunk.

Go for a deeper cavern layer, look for water there.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41364 on: May 17, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »

You're screwed.  Even if you carry those ice boulder things inside and let them melt, they only become a mess to be cleaned up, like spilled booze, not the magical kind of water which makes mud and can be drunk.

dont write me off so easily D:

i managed to survive till a dwarven trader rolled by...im now trying to find out if they sell anything to farm above ground (i created a safe spot for my dwarfs to farm in..also the fog which i thought turned everybody into husks is actually just knocking people out thus making hunting very easy..)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41365 on: May 17, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »

dont write me off so easily D:

i managed to survive till a dwarven trader rolled by...im now trying to find out if they sell anything to farm above ground (i created a safe spot for my dwarfs to farm in..also the fog which i thought turned everybody into husks is actually just knocking people out thus making hunting very easy..)

EDIT: one quick wiki trip later and yes...im fucked

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41366 on: May 17, 2015, 01:00:24 pm »

EDIT: No need to reply on cave/chute structure. It has a blind cave ogre in it. Worth capturing? I'm not sure...
Blind cave ogres are huge. Full grown they're 7,000,000 cm3. Almost as big as giants, bigger than elephants. Don't think dwarves will eat them due to ogres being sentient or something, but due to the huge size the ogre could make for a useful war animal, or a pit monster for executing goblins or something. If anything else it could be a source of FUN.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41367 on: May 17, 2015, 02:01:42 pm »

My swordsmaster just killed, two, and I CBA to really catch any more... there's only ever (wiki) up to three anyway, and a lot of underground animals (1st layer only, just troglos and mole dogs) seem to find my cage traps incredibly fascinating.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41368 on: May 17, 2015, 02:42:50 pm »

Just opent up the caverns and was quickly attacked by a giant cave spider. I have to say that I remember them as beeing stronger

Note that after checking that farmer is noticed that he is only "dabling" in any of the military skills. Were GCS nerfed?

edit I just noticed that said farmer "absolutely detests cave spiders". I suppose he also likes to explode them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:46:46 pm by thijser »
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41369 on: May 17, 2015, 03:11:43 pm »

I think they were nerfed yes.  They no longer get one free attack per leg as if they were balanced on one leg toplike and flailing madly with all their others.

Their real fearsomeness is their webs.  If it remembers to use them, your dwarf is done for.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 2756 2757 [2758] 2759 2760 ... 3842