Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2754 2755 [2756] 2757 2758 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113447 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41325 on: May 13, 2015, 10:18:08 pm »

And the epic saga of me having bad luck continues; I got a bit overzealous in breaching the caverns and forgot to have my military clear it first. A troglodyte picked a fight with my legendary carpenter (man, so far this fort is NOT kind to legendaries). The Carpenter eventually kicked his head and knocked him unconscious and proceeded to literally punch his skull in. Unfortunately said badass' spine is heavily bruised, his left lung is totally mangled, and he's bleeding all over the place. If he survives i'll have to upgrade his quarters as a reward for toughness.

On the plus side, my wereantelope legendary miner is successfully sealed away with plenty to do, so even if things hit the proverbial fan then the fort should survive indefinitely.

Edit: Addendum: I must have done something to anger Armok, because now I have an Undead siege  on my hands >.<

Edit2: Managed to lure one of the visiting necromancers inside before i closed my drawbridge, and my soldiers wasted no time introducing his brains to the outside world. Now I'm just sitting inside, double and triple checking that all my entrances are sealed. Any advice on what to do about the 35 undead meandering about outside my fortress?

Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Seriously, though, are you able to put up a large amount of cage traps in a hallway, and let them get trapped one by one?

ThePeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41326 on: May 13, 2015, 10:22:53 pm »

Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Seriously, though, are you able to put up a large amount of cage traps in a hallway, and let them get trapped one by one?

I suppose it's worth a try. I can always set up a backup plan while the cages are being made.
ThePeanut likes Dwarf Fortress for its difficulty, Killer Instinct for its characters, Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft for their works of fiction, Scimitars for their curved blades, and Dogs for their barks. He prefers to consume cheese whenever possible. If possible, he would spend the rest of his days not doing much of anything.
He dreams of mastering a skill.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41327 on: May 13, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »

Undead is the only question which the answer of magma does not solve. You gotta gib them in one form or another now to get them to disanimate. A series of blunt-loaded weapon traps will handle them well without leaving anything un-pulped to reanimate.

ThePeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41328 on: May 14, 2015, 12:14:01 am »

The Undead siege has been broken! Turns out that undead pathfinding can be abused pretty easily by raising and lowering a bridge to funnel them in slowly to kill them one by one. A bit cheesy, but then again so are undead themselves. Either way, that's one problem down, but i'm sure something else will turn up to cause this fort problems soon enough...it seems cursed to always have some kind of issue going on.
ThePeanut likes Dwarf Fortress for its difficulty, Killer Instinct for its characters, Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft for their works of fiction, Scimitars for their curved blades, and Dogs for their barks. He prefers to consume cheese whenever possible. If possible, he would spend the rest of his days not doing much of anything.
He dreams of mastering a skill.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41329 on: May 14, 2015, 12:23:02 am »

Last I checked zombies don't survive forever in magma anymore.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41330 on: May 14, 2015, 08:44:40 am »

Last I checked zombies don't survive forever in magma anymore.
Yeah, pretty sure this was fixed.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41331 on: May 14, 2015, 10:24:56 am »

I reclaimed a fortress built by the ai during world gen.. it was abandoned because of a forgotten beast. Well, I didn't think it was still there until after a year in (while my dwarves were still moving goods around from all the room) there suddenly was an "Ambush! Drive them out!' notification.

'Beware its fire'

The poor dwarf opened the door of the one quarter to pick up some more leather stuff, and instantly got incinerated in a stream of fire.

Hopefully all the doors and furniture can keep the beast at bay while I make a few shields....

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41332 on: May 14, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

Note to self: Turn entrance hallway into drop trap/obsidian generator/magma caster.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41333 on: May 14, 2015, 03:58:41 pm »

Just slaughtered or captured all of a goblin siege of human recruits and crossbowmen ::).
Now the cage traps are being surrounded by bodies, I have no clue what to do with the prisoners, and most importantly,

How do I stop dwarves being completely devestated by all the limbs and corpses lying around next to the pastures and cage traps?

Also, is there any way to get hold of those nice goblin-clothes without horrifying the dwarves that get them? And are clothes taken off dead bodies worth it?

Dwarves seem clamer but more sensetive in this version from stories...
One wheel short of a wagon

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41334 on: May 14, 2015, 05:52:22 pm »

I just finished engraving an artificial obsidian hill.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:57:40 pm by ajar »
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41335 on: May 14, 2015, 08:02:23 pm »

How do I stop dwarves being completely devestated by all the limbs and corpses lying around next to the pastures and cage traps?
Get the corpses out of sight, either through destruction, doors, or pits.

Also, is there any way to get hold of those nice goblin-clothes without horrifying the dwarves that get them? And are clothes taken off dead bodies worth it?
When the corpse is hauled somewhere the clothes will be left behind in a pile

Dwarves seem clamer but more sensetive in this version from stories...
Thought rewrite from late last year, dwarves now suffer from sissy elf emotions
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41336 on: May 14, 2015, 10:21:13 pm »

Making an iron statue for the hell of it, they ended up with a finely-crafted statue of the dwarf deity of fame and dwarves gamboling around him.  Absolutely perfect for a statue garden.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41337 on: May 15, 2015, 12:32:34 am »

I just finished engraving an artificial obsidian hill.
Artificial huh, I just found this as an adventurer and your post popped into my head.
Is it weird to be turned on by a geological formation?

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #41338 on: May 15, 2015, 03:09:40 am »

first ever BC ive seen in years of DF arrived.

This is probably going to be bad.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #41339 on: May 15, 2015, 04:45:13 am »

first ever BC ive seen in years of DF arrived.

This is probably going to be bad.

I assume you don't have any fluffy wamblers lying around?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!
Pages: 1 ... 2754 2755 [2756] 2757 2758 ... 3842