Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2068 2069 [2070] 2071 2072 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097002 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31035 on: September 26, 2013, 03:36:26 pm »

Along with the goblins glitchy flying mounts.

I love them so much when they hurt themselves. I had one try to path into my fort by flying into the volcano during the last siege. Others flew up as high as 12-Z when they attempted to flee after getting peppered by marksdwarves. A few passed out from pain, turning them and their riders into smears when they landed.

Anyways. I've tried using the force siege command on some caged goblins I had forgotten about, and it won't recognize them as valid targets either. I've also tried it on wildlife, resurrected merchants, and even my own dwarves, all with the same result. I haven't tampered with the force script, so I'm not sure why that's happening.

But I did get around to making a meeting hall, just to find out that there are so many animals that dwarves will avoid idling at it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31036 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:45 pm »

Runeworking is now possible, as is the fashioning of (admittedly crude, as we lack ample supplies of iron or steel and have not the bronze for more than blades and runes) of plate armor, much of which we have handy to fashion into platemail being of sub par materials scavanged from the enemies of The Bastion. However, with runes of bronze, steel, and mithril, The Broodguard shall know no pain, no fear, and feel not the effects of fighting in their heavy plates. The Broodguard will be the shield and sword of the fortress.

The Fortress owes to the brood sustenance and shelter, for without the brood, the fortress shall die. However, without the fortress, the brood would not exist, and as such all the brood owe their lives to the fortress. All who come seeking the lives of dwarves, shall meet only the blades of the brood, not only because it is the fortress that gives them life, but because they are seen as equals to the dwarves. And the day they are finally ready for battle will come soon, and on that day the fortress itself shall keep its gaze fixed upon them.

And the brood will not fail in its sight.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31037 on: September 26, 2013, 08:21:53 pm »

I just got one of the weakest FBs ever, a FB made of ash with absolutely no special abilities whatsoever. Easy kill so I'm just going to have my military go and confront it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:26:56 pm by smjjames »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31038 on: September 26, 2013, 08:56:40 pm »

I began a megaproject to seal in the third caverns, using fastdwarf because fuck waiting for all those designations. After most of it was walled in, I found out why I hadn't gotten any wildlife in that cavern level: a trio of creeping eyes were hanging out on the very edge of the map in a lake, presumably incapable of pathing anywhere or leaving. I, in a feat of terrible idiocy, decided to kill them before the walls were complete. First, a voracious cave crawler showed up, as well as a gorlak. The gorlak was fine until it got caught and the cave crawler didn't put up much of a fight, but then a horde of crundles spawned near a work area. They managed to drown one of the workers and took their sweet time to die when the militia showed up. Next a cave dragon arrived, and I ignored it for some time, until it decided to rush towards the fortress and start killing dwarves. It got maybe 3-4 total before it was put down. The population is now down to 89, which isn't exactly stellar.

During the work a goblin siege showed up. About 1/3 of them were slaughtered, many more escaped, and 7 goblins and 3 beak dogs were captured for the combat arena. Need to start chucking people in there, but the entire reason I endeavored to seal off an entire cavern level is to have a grand labyrinth to chuck undesirables, wild animals and prisoners into for a sort of ultimate battlefield. Ultimately controlled, of course, although I still need to construct or reinforce the fortifications that will seal it off from the fortress.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31039 on: September 27, 2013, 03:59:27 am »

What's going on? What's going on??

Edit: And then I proceed to buy out most of a human caravan with it. While still giving them a profit margin of like 26k☼ because I ran out of stuff I wanted to buy from them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:25:32 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31040 on: September 27, 2013, 09:11:04 am »

RoomConfine has fallen. These necromancers are kicking my ass every time. I know there has to be a better way to repel them, but it's not coming to mind. OK, a couple of options actually are coming to mind, but I swore off massively overpowered traps. I used one cage trap this time, but several more necromancers made it through, raising my own people against me until I fall.

I am currently thinking of two different options. The first is a long row of upright spear traps connected to a lever on repeat - their armies will fall to the shear massive area damage. The other is the use of marksdwarves behind fortifications. A third of course is to tidey up an heavily expand my melee dwarves, but the lack of supplies always holds that down.

Well, time to go back to the drawing board.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31041 on: September 27, 2013, 05:54:21 pm »

I just started a new fort and I have both layers of flux stone and enough iron to swim in. Also coal, sand, clay, kaolinite and gypsum. I might faint through sheer happiness.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31042 on: September 27, 2013, 08:49:09 pm »

I just started a new fort and I have both layers of flux stone and enough iron to swim in. Also coal, sand, clay, kaolinite and gypsum. I might faint through sheer happiness.
Now you realize the sheer scale of what you must now accomplish.  8)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31043 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01:19 pm »

Ringanvils

Oh wow, let me just die of terror. OH WAIT I HAVE A LEVER-ACTIVATED DRAWBRIDGE--

It killed a wild armadillo bear and then turned into a dwarf and ran off. Bo-ring.

EDIT:

28th Felsite, 205

Oh dear me!

Whatever

shall I

do?

:D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:42:39 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Garukin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31044 on: September 28, 2013, 08:18:08 am »

I overestimated the booze stockpile in my current fort and ended up with 80-something dwarves getting dehydrated while waiting for the next caravan/the newly dug well to fill up.
The human caravan finally arrived, but at the same second the trade was finalized for some 200 units of booze, people starting dropping like flies and the proud village of Mountaincats went from 80 inhabitants to 50 in a snap.

Then came the tantruming. And the toppling of furniture. And the namecalling, beardpulling, babykilling and all the other petty little things that come with tense moods. Not to mention dwarves continually dying from dehydration as starting fights is clearly more important than having a drink to save your life.
In the middle of the carnage, chaos and roving squads of indifferent militia-men bashing heads in the name of justice, the forts legendary brewer was sentenced to 5 hammerings for failing to produce an animal trap for the mayor. Not that i'm entirely sure what brewing has to do with animal traps. Sure, there's murder, assault and destruction of property, but we really need to make an example when it comes to violating production orders, that's the just the sort of behavior we can't do with.
To top it all off some angry idiot fell in to the finally full well.

Now Mountaincats is filled with insane, berserking, tantruming and thirsty dwarves and more severed bodyparts than parts still attached to their owners.
Meanwhile, the booze sits in the stockpile, feeling rather indifferent about the entire situation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31045 on: September 28, 2013, 09:23:07 am »

One of the twelve year olds thinks she can escape corpse clearing duty by pretending picking up dead honey bees is the same as hauling an elf corpse.
Your parents cleaned up after themselves, so can you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31046 on: September 28, 2013, 11:41:41 am »

Founded Walldreams, with a focus on outdoor structures. Embarked next to a volcano, and most of the stone we have comes from channeling down entire mountains. I also modded silty clay loam to produce clay, and am shipping it via minecart from the other side of the map to the magma kilns. We also have sand(SW corner is rocky desert).

Had numerous kidnappings, and even an artifact stolen. Started work on the city wall, but an ambush came, killing three unskilled dwarves and a puppy. One of the artifacts points that our current king, who was enthroned in the year 2(it''s ~95 now) is a vampire.

Eventual plan will have an underground waterway/storage area or something.

Easy kill so I'm just going to have my military go and confront it.
Half the fortress dead from it, the other half in a tantrum spiral. ;D
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31047 on: September 28, 2013, 01:03:37 pm »

Easy kill so I'm just going to have my military go and confront it.
Half the fortress dead from it, the other half in a tantrum spiral. ;D

Real funny, and yeah it had no special ability in the description plus weak material.

Got a carpentry mood even though I believe that dorf was pretty much legendary already, first roll, casket

reroll....

floodgate

reroll...

casket...

reroll...

splint :\

reroll....

cabinet, okay that works.

I was going to send my military on a FB slaying expedition until a web spitting FB decided to show up, currently though I'm setting up the traps in the new entranceway and making new trap equipment to replace the low quality stuff I made early on.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31048 on: September 28, 2013, 06:06:38 pm »

Rerolling was wise, for the casket mood is an ill omen. The Bastion lost three dwarves following one's completion.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31049 on: September 28, 2013, 06:34:04 pm »

Rerolling was wise, for the casket mood is an ill omen. The Bastion lost three dwarves following one's completion.
Maybe it's because you didn't already have tombs for your Dwarves? Dwarves ready for death are ready to live longer.
Pages: 1 ... 2068 2069 [2070] 2071 2072 ... 3842