Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1886 1887 [1888] 1889 1890 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972677 times)

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28305 on: March 15, 2013, 10:50:47 am »

The tantrum spiral in Grovebridges stopped without about 6 sane adults and a dozen children. I start going through the process of cleaning up and decide that I might as well close up the newly and correctly constructed bridge at the front door.

Lever status:
"Link to trigger. (Suspended)"
"Pull Lever"

Sigh, unsuspend, ensure everyone has mechanics enabled.

An Ambush!
An Ambush!

Your strength has been broken.

Sigh.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28306 on: March 15, 2013, 01:57:55 pm »

The new outpost Mörulfesh -- "Pagewings" -- has been founded by a cliff in the Silken Plains: a temperate shrubland in the joyous wilds, containing a stream and an ungrounded aquifer.

Pagewings intends to be an agricultural outpost, hoping to export a variety of booze (sunshine!) and assorted above-ground foodstuffs, and maybe some meats and meals. The weaver Ustuth "Girdersparks" Thobîbmat and the clothier Edëm "Burialrelic" Ostaraneg have joined the expedition, hoping to establish a clothing industry working with their favored rope reed fabric.

The expedition leader has the secret goal of corralling a herd of unicorns to fuel an exotic meat industry!

While the expedition leader brought along a variety of stone in a variety of colors, and some coal and sand to make basic furniture (whoops, I just noticed I forgot to assign points to glassmaker. Oh well), he expects the cliff face will provide a way around the aquifer and provide some stone. As no metalworking is planned in the foreseeable future, the wagon doesn't even carry an anvil.

When the expedition arrives on site, I survey the cliffs to see what there is to see.

• Gold. Oh wait, that's not gold, it's Limonite.
  • The limonite is embedded in limestone
  • Wait, what's that rock, I haven't seen it in a long time. Ah, lignite!
  • Oh look, Malachite (I don't think I've ever seen it in the ground).
  • Hematite too.
  • And more lignite.
Sigh, why don't I ever get that when I actually want to do metalworking?

MightyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28307 on: March 15, 2013, 03:03:08 pm »

Right now I try to settle a fancy underground fortress named Idotil (Rockjade), on top of a volcanic mountain :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's no tree nor plant in the outside, so I dug deeper to quickly join, breach and wall off a portion of the first cavern (a small island in the middle of a large undeground lake).

Pretty risky since it was somewhat occupied : first by a giant toad quickly slaughtered by my axedwarf, then by a (fortunately) shy cave-croc, and finally by a bunch of 10 trog's. I ordered my militia captain to charge the fuck out of them.

It's not pretty indeed :

As my militia commander levels up to talented fighter and proficient shield user, the digging of the workshops area is almost done, farms have been properly settled, booze and stone crafts start to flow.

Edit : a heavily guarded caravan just arrived, as well as a huge swarm of the foulest, nastiest creatures ever made by Armok ; creatures that even my current badass cannot reach and cut, creatures beyond all sanity : keas... keas everywhere... keas shooted in my stairs, keas falling right on my trade depot, keas now roasting in the volcano... such formidable sight inspires me some dwarven rhymes...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:16:04 pm by MightyDorf »

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #28308 on: March 15, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »

Tyrannosaurus happen to have the abilities to both fear and to feel pain.

Long story short, I now have large quantities of tyrannosaur meat and bone, after a group of hunters (including a random clerk) figured out that crossbows are good against tyrannosaurs.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28309 on: March 15, 2013, 05:05:22 pm »

To all residents of Kolothduk(Wheeledmoment):

Congratulations on keeping the fort alive for 30 years, sealing the caldera, and raising our grizzly bear knowledge to expert!
Now get back to work, there's copper and iron junk from the goblin raids and steel scrap from the dwarven caravan to melt. There are bears to butcher and traps to set. There are weaklings to buff and recruits to train. There are corpses and old clothes to throw into the volcano. The next break is in 20 years, hope to see you all there.

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28310 on: March 15, 2013, 05:13:15 pm »

This... This is what happened... Necromancer and a handful fifty-something zombies managed to kill a few many ALL of my peafowl which in turn killed everyone... EVERYONE!  :'(

This won't end well, it never does...

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #28311 on: March 15, 2013, 05:33:09 pm »

There was another Tyrannosaurus incident. A Tyrannosaurus ran straight through my farm plot and animal pens, before being shot in the skull by a human and being chased away by a cougar.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28312 on: March 15, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »

Getting mighty tired of my nobles right about now, especially my mayor.

He INSISTS on mandating large gems, all the time. And I can't for the life of me get any from the gem-cutting. Very, very frustrating.

But that's one thing, I'm getting used to that. Now, he got it in his thick skull to demand a Trifle Pewter Door in his study. I immediately panicked at this, since I had no tin, nor any copper. Luckily enough though, a dwarven caravan was visiting at the time, so I got some of the bars I needed from them, and melted misc stuff for the rest.

Made a door, placed it, and... nothing. He's still demanding a door. Wtf? Ok, so he has three doors in his study, maybe he wants all three changed, or I just didn't change the correct one. You know how nobles are. Anyway, said and done, I ordered two more doors, and placed them.

Nothing. He's still not pleased. I'm seriously considering offering him to Armok right about now.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28313 on: March 15, 2013, 05:50:56 pm »

Nothing. He's still not pleased. I'm seriously considering offering him to Armok right about now.

Are you sure it was the right room?

Also, the demand won't disappear when it is satisfied, it'll just turn .. um... I think it turns white, been awhile since I had a demanding noble.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28314 on: March 15, 2013, 05:55:21 pm »

Getting mighty tired of my nobles right about now, especially my mayor.

He INSISTS on mandating large gems, all the time. And I can't for the life of me get any from the gem-cutting. Very, very frustrating.

But that's one thing, I'm getting used to that. Now, he got it in his thick skull to demand a Trifle Pewter Door in his study. I immediately panicked at this, since I had no tin, nor any copper. Luckily enough though, a dwarven caravan was visiting at the time, so I got some of the bars I needed from them, and melted misc stuff for the rest.

Made a door, placed it, and... nothing. He's still demanding a door. Wtf? Ok, so he has three doors in his study, maybe he wants all three changed, or I just didn't change the correct one. You know how nobles are. Anyway, said and done, I ordered two more doors, and placed them.

Is the door actually in his study, or is it occupying a doorway in his study? I seem to remember reading something about dwarves not counting the door if it was being used as a door - maybe place it in the study and set as internal?

Or perhaps he actually wants Pewter Door Trifle. Like trifle, but with pewter door instead of sponge fingers. Given how hard killing sponges is in DF, this may be more achievable.

Possomtail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28315 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:39 pm »

Down to three dwarves, all of them severely depressed, two of them toddlers. No one can get out of the fortress to haul all the rotting corpses out after a gigantic tantrum spiral and several goblin sieges, the last of which destroyed my entire militia. The reason for this is that after the last siege four trolls parked themselves outside my fort, even after all the rest of the goblins decided to leave after they completely crushed my twelve remaining soldiers, I honestly have no idea why they have done this. The most depressing thing is that my sole adult dwarf is trying to dehydrate himself to death, but he's a vampire, so that's clearly not going to work...

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28316 on: March 15, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »

Are you sure it was the right room?

Also, the demand won't disappear when it is satisfied, it'll just turn .. um... I think it turns white, been awhile since I had a demanding noble.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. He says Throne Room/Study, and he only has that one. Besides, replacing those three doors also replaced the only doors leading into his other rooms (dining room and bedroom), so now all of his doors are trifle pewter. I've never had a demanding noble neither, but the demand is still coloured (red now), so no luck :(

Is the door actually in his study, or is it occupying a doorway in his study? I seem to remember reading something about dwarves not counting the door if it was being used as a door - maybe place it in the study and set as internal?

Or perhaps he actually wants Pewter Door Trifle. Like trifle, but with pewter door instead of sponge fingers. Given how hard killing sponges is in DF, this may be more achievable.

I was thinking that as well, that he might want it as a useless piece of decoration. But I'm not going to give in to that, that would mess up my floor plan! Better have him cranky then.
It might make sense that he would want trifle though, I mean, this IS Dwarf Fortress after all. I'll ask the cooks to whip some up.

I hope the bastard chokes on it.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28317 on: March 15, 2013, 07:02:01 pm »

I'm a newbie...but this, my fifth, fortress seems to have some luck :)

Don't know if this is common or not but quite funny in my opinion. Ok...

Some friendly caravans and thier liason came to visit me (same as they did last year). But what then happend must be God's way to show me He still have faith in me  :)
The liasion went to talk with my expedition leader while I waited for the caravans to arrive at my trade depot. After a long wait I looked around the map and noticed while looking at the dead/missing-screen it said "Wagon"....
Strange... I looked around the map and found two dead "Barn Owl Men" and a huge pile of items. Seems like the caravan was attacked by the "Barn Owl Men" and got killed.
The result... I took everything from the pile (quite much good stuff for my newbie-fortress) and the liason left my fort happy.

:)

Has this happend to you guys? Funny as hell in my opinion.
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28318 on: March 15, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »

Axehole just had its first zombie apocolypse siege. The marksdwarves and bowdwarves were able to gun down the first rush of zombies near the front gates, then the chokepoint corridor was unlocked to draw in the remaining horde, while the archerdwarves continued to open fire. The six single bronze ball traps proved themselves invaluable for killing the undead, wiping out a vast majority of the remaining fifty or so zombies without any jamming.

A marksdwarf managed to wander away from his post and get down in the chokepoint hall, forcing the Spears of Heart to come to the fool's rescue. The marksdwarf suffered several broken bones and bruising from the zombies for his stupidity, but the hospital has patched him up.

Over one hundred and thirty undead slain, with no necros this siege was a piece of cake.

The dining hall of Axehole has been completed, and on the top floor of the fort a larger dormitory is being built. Once the dorm is finished then the tower will continue to be built up atop the dorms with floors of individual bedrooms.

Steel and adamantine is slowly being produced. In the meantime the fort's armorer is being trained up with loads of copper armor for the archers.

Oh, and we have a silver statue of the theft of a barrel by a caravan wagon in the year of 127. Oh the hilarity of adding [ITEM_THIEF] to the dwarf entity.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28319 on: March 15, 2013, 07:25:40 pm »

The caravan usually leaves if one of the merchants gets killed.

Anyway, Frosthall has amassed a wealth of 4.4 million dorfbucks. I'm wondering why I haven't had the liason come to talk about a us becoming a barony yet. I guess I'll just have to make more «☼platinum crafts☼» and «+steel weapons+».

Food stocks are hovering around 10000, with about 1250 meat, 850 fish, 450 plant, 1550 seed, 2750 drink, and 3100 roasts.
I used to have farms in the first cavern layer, but my farmers kept getting slaughtered by GCS.
Most of the meat comes from butchered animals. Most of the booze comes from imported plants getting brewed.

Goblins have sieged twice this year. The first squad was pitiful, and my marksdwarves dispatched it by firing -copper bolts- in their general direction.
The second was more meaty, with ~20 mounted speargoblins lead by one hammergoblin. Their war jabberers smashed up my *platinum statue*-lined platinum road (:() and it had to be rebuilt later. The marksdwarves decided to sit next to the fortifications and jack off or something, instead of shoot the twenty sodding goblins charging through the gate.
I lost two speardwarves to them. And I'm glad I did, because those speardwarves were dumb as hell: they weren't wearing their helmets.

Anyway, with just over 100 dwarves in a freezing mountain/glacier surround, I think Frosthall is doing pretty well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:14:10 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1886 1887 [1888] 1889 1890 ... 3839