Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1887 1888 [1889] 1890 1891 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972806 times)

Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28320 on: March 15, 2013, 08:42:05 pm »

I think you've just revealed the results of Toady's secret machine learning experiment...

That actually would be a dope thing to see in a game; especially this one. You, as whatever it is the player is if not Armok, tells the Dwarves to do a certain activity at certain intervals. Eventually, the Dwarves figure this out and do it on their own. That would be awesome :D

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28321 on: March 15, 2013, 10:20:01 pm »

[noble wants a trifle pewter door in the office]
I was thinking that as well, that he might want it as a useless piece of decoration. But I'm not going to give in to that, that would mess up my floor plan! Better have him cranky then.

Well, that solves that then. Demanded furniture must be 'in' a room - the easiest way to install a demanded door is indeed to attach it to the room's wall as a meaningless decoration. Doors that make up part of the border of a room are not considered as inventory of the room.

However, from the 'q'uery menu, you can 's'et the door as internal, which means the door is considered inside the room, but will also fail to stop the room designation from 'spilling' into the corridor or nearby rooms. It makes the proper designation a bit trickier (i think you must resize the room to properly include the internal door), but allows dwarfs to 'own' fancy or demand-fulfilling doors to their rooms.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28322 on: March 15, 2013, 10:42:03 pm »

The caravan usually leaves if one of the merchants gets killed.
I assume this was directed at my marvelous statue of an inanimate object stealing another inanimate object in the year 127 in Axehole?

Whenever the dwarf caravan leaves the map the game is flooded with announcements of "A thief has stolen *blah blah blah*" with each report for a trade good the wagons brought. Any goods I traded to the caravan are also mentioned. Judging by the game's tracking of the events, the wagons are considered thieves due to wagons technically being creatures in the code.

It doesn't matter if the caravan leaves peacefully or because someone died, the game still tracks their departure with loads of theft reports, even if all the caravan is carrying is their own goods. Despite this my traded goods seem to go towards "exported wealth" and migratory stats, because I still get loads of migrants. I assume the cause of this is because the wagon creatures are a part of the dwarf civ, who's entity file states they are all "item_thieves" and so when the game finds these wagons leaving the map loaded with items in their inventory then it springs the theft announcement.

This is all my logical assumptions, but it doesn't especially matter why; what matters is I've got a shiny silver statue of an inanimate wagon stealing away a barrel. If only the barrel had a wheelbarrow containing a barrel inside it, then the circle would be complete.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28323 on: March 16, 2013, 12:56:24 am »

The caravan usually leaves if one of the merchants gets killed.
I assume this was directed at my marvelous statue of an inanimate object stealing another inanimate object in the year 127 in Axehole?

Whenever the dwarf caravan leaves the map the game is flooded with announcements of "A thief has stolen *blah blah blah*" with each report for a trade good the wagons brought. Any goods I traded to the caravan are also mentioned. Judging by the game's tracking of the events, the wagons are considered thieves due to wagons technically being creatures in the code.

It doesn't matter if the caravan leaves peacefully or because someone died, the game still tracks their departure with loads of theft reports, even if all the caravan is carrying is their own goods. Despite this my traded goods seem to go towards "exported wealth" and migratory stats, because I still get loads of migrants. I assume the cause of this is because the wagon creatures are a part of the dwarf civ, who's entity file states they are all "item_thieves" and so when the game finds these wagons leaving the map loaded with items in their inventory then it springs the theft announcement.

This is all my logical assumptions, but it doesn't especially matter why; what matters is I've got a shiny silver statue of an inanimate wagon stealing away a barrel. If only the barrel had a wheelbarrow containing a barrel inside it, then the circle would be complete.
Although that story is incredibly dwarf fortress-y, I was directing my statement as a response to this:
I'm a newbie...but this, my fifth, fortress seems to have some luck :)

Don't know if this is common or not but quite funny in my opinion. Ok...

Some friendly caravans and thier liason came to visit me (same as they did last year). But what then happend must be God's way to show me He still have faith in me  :)
The liasion went to talk with my expedition leader while I waited for the caravans to arrive at my trade depot. After a long wait I looked around the map and noticed while looking at the dead/missing-screen it said "Wagon"....
Strange... I looked around the map and found two dead "Barn Owl Men" and a huge pile of items. Seems like the caravan was attacked by the "Barn Owl Men" and got killed.
The result... I took everything from the pile (quite much good stuff for my newbie-fortress) and the liason left my fort happy.

:)

Has this happend to you guys? Funny as hell in my opinion.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28324 on: March 16, 2013, 02:25:14 am »

Postcloistered will soon begin! After learning that physical, and soul attributes affect certain jobs, I am beginning

Strangely, there are many milkfish and stingrays in the river. The milkfish I find normal, but the stingrays, not so normal.
In mere moments WE ARE IN BUSINESS LADY DWARFS AND GENTLE DWARFS
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28325 on: March 16, 2013, 06:50:54 am »

I've begun draining the rivers with pumps for general control and to end the epic 2 year fight between the giant sponge and giant mantis that has been going on. I wouldn't mind, except that all the combat reporting is chewing up my announcements so I can only see a month or so back at most. So now i'm chugging along at a nice 17FPS.
However, tragedy has struck, one of my starting 7, the weaponsmith who is now useless, thank god, due to a migrant getting a mood, has been drained of blood. let the vampire hunt and eventual super solider project begin!
Magma is overrated.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28326 on: March 16, 2013, 10:18:44 am »

Things are going okay in Zegadil for the most part. Drinks are being made, beds for everyone, no deaths yet, and the first caravans have given some pretty good stuff.

But one dwarf, Urist McMilitiaCommander 'The One-dwarf militia', is a very unhappy dwarf in an outpost full of happiness. Why, do you ask? Well, she's part of my militia, so I have her wear her armor at all times, makes sense right? Full suit of bronze armor, iron shield and sword...

But apparantly, she's wearing her her suit of armor and nothing else. She ditched all her clothes for whatever reason in the dining room, and I've lost track of it. I had her go kill something to get a 'took joy in slaughter' bonus, but then got upset for being relieved afterword, making it moot.

So just a quick question: How do I get her to wear clothing with her armor? It should be common sense for her, but these are dwarves we're talking about here...
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28327 on: March 16, 2013, 10:21:47 am »

Axehole is getting swamped with more elf ambushes, all riding a mix of giant animals. The emergency delay cage has been deployed, releasing a swarm of war dogs, puppies, kittens, and the occasional war pig.

Unfortunately, we lost a mechanic and a useless hauler who were outside when the elf swarm hit. An axedorf was skilled when a giant dingo scratched them in the head. Apparently they thought fighting without a helm was a good idea. A shame though, they had a title.

The melee squads had some trouble killing a giant grasshopper, and the archerdorfs had a close call when two elves riding giant thrips tried to enter their fortifications, but the two squads put them down with a flurry of bolts and bashing before any harm was done.

An ambush squad of elf archers led by the elf princess were repelled, and the last stragglers turned tail and fled. I assume we killed the princess, I dunno. There's too much carnage to tell.

We lost some troops to polar bears tearing limbs off, and some civvies who were too dumb to stay indoors bit the dust, but eh. Many elves died today, so that's a plus.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28328 on: March 16, 2013, 10:29:13 am »

Things are going okay in Zegadil for the most part. Drinks are being made, beds for everyone, no deaths yet, and the first caravans have given some pretty good stuff.

But one dwarf, Urist McMilitiaCommander 'The One-dwarf militia', is a very unhappy dwarf in an outpost full of happiness. Why, do you ask? Well, she's part of my militia, so I have her wear her armor at all times, makes sense right? Full suit of bronze armor, iron shield and sword...

But apparantly, she's wearing her her suit of armor and nothing else. She ditched all her clothes for whatever reason in the dining room, and I've lost track of it. I had her go kill something to get a 'took joy in slaughter' bonus, but then got upset for being relieved afterword, making it moot.

So just a quick question: How do I get her to wear clothing with her armor? It should be common sense for her, but these are dwarves we're talking about here...

It shouldn't make a difference as long as it's actually a full set.
If you don't actually have a full set you can set "replace clothing" to "over clothing" in the equip menu.
If she's stripping as soon as she's inactive then go into the scheduling menu and make sure you set "inactive = uniformed" for each season and alert.
You can get rid of the "upset at being relieved" thought by teaching her enough of a civvie skill to be listed as something other than peasant.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28329 on: March 16, 2013, 10:38:58 am »

New world. New Fort.

The queen of the Boat of Trumpets has decided that the trade road network needs to be expanded.  One limitation is a major river running through the desert to the east of the Mountainhome.  So, in the year 216, dwarves have been sent out to build the outpost of Lashedbridge.  Besides the establishment of an armed post to guard the road they are charged with bridging the river for use by wagons and also providing for safe crossing of a tributary entering the river at that point.

The initial contingent arrived, well equipped with extra wood and stone since the area was sandy and treeless.  And surveys indicated that an aquifer was present and would slow initial development of the post.

Which it did for a little while.  The post established itself inside a sandy hill alongside the river.  The planned bridge site is from the north edge of the hill crossing the river from west east.  That's for the future though, as the immediate needs are getting shelter and establishing necessary industries.  The initial supplies of rock and wood were used for necessities and for shoring as the aquifer layer was breached.

More dwarves arrived and now thirteen are laboring in the stone layers below laying out rooms for workshops and habitation.  Miners have found ores for iron, copper, and even tin.  Steel production will be limited due to no supply of flux stone, and a general lack of coal/coke as well.  Imports will be key in this regard.

The local creatures have not been that hostile so far.  Hippos in the river, camels in the desert (tasty!), and various beastmen running and flying around.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28330 on: March 16, 2013, 10:51:56 am »

-snip-

It shouldn't make a difference as long as it's actually a full set.
If you don't actually have a full set you can set "replace clothing" to "over clothing" in the equip menu.
If she's stripping as soon as she's inactive then go into the scheduling menu and make sure you set "inactive = uniformed" for each season and alert.
You can get rid of the "upset at being relieved" thought by teaching her enough of a civvie skill to be listed as something other than peasant.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, she got crippled after trying to one-dwarf a whole group of cave swallow menin the caverns, so it really doesn't matter at this point. Still, what really makes it a 'full' set? She has the following:

Iron Shield
Bronze Mail Shirt
Bronze Breastplate
Bronze Greaves
Bronze Helm
Bronze Left Gauntlet
Bronze High Boot x2
Bronze Right Gauntlet

Am I missing anything?
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28331 on: March 16, 2013, 10:59:08 am »

Yep, that's a full set.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28332 on: March 16, 2013, 11:30:09 am »

Bone helmet at the ready, spear ready to be imparted, the gear for our Fort's champion was readied. In the night Cerol passed away from his injuries, we are at a loss. It was either infection or suffocation... When you cannot win you lose. When you lose it's Fun.

Yet why do the Dwarves not laugh?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28333 on: March 16, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »

Oh, they laugh. Then they turn the nearest dwarf into a bone sock.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28334 on: March 16, 2013, 04:02:36 pm »

I'm running three forts simultaneously. There's a huge self-sufficient mansion that houses 14 dwarves in lavish accommodations. Outside there's a large tavern with communal dormitories where 40 dwarves live and work. There's also a cave which leads to the caverns where the most untrustworthy/worthless dwarves live. They do nothing but mine gems and collect spider webs, when they're tired they sleep on bare stone and when they're hungry they eat whatever plants happen to be growing naturally. They trade with each other by a series of burrows and airlocks. The gems and thread go to the outsiders who process them and give them to the main house.

I've also  just discovered that dwarves aren't punished for many things they do in tantrums. I've had multiple murders and too many fist fights to count. Even though the crimes are being reported they aren't being recorded or punished.
Pages: 1 ... 1887 1888 [1889] 1890 1891 ... 3839